CNN

42 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

News Assistant Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at CNN in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is very long. All I would say is to be well versed in current events, the branches of government, world leaders and general news knowledge.

Interview Question – Unexpected: Who is your state's senator?   Answer Question

Media Producer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at CNN.

Interview Details – Must apply via website, helps to know someone on the "inside". Managers DEFINITELY check your online presence.

Interview Question – What is your news philosophy?   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CNN.

Interview Details – Simple screening phone interview, followed up by one more in depth. Was denied my initial position but then given another more suited to my background in a callback.

The hiring was all done by HR which was very colloquial and seemed more relevant to company culture/fit than pertaining to actual experience.

Interview Question – Greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Editorial Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at CNN.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter about three weeks later. Scheduled a first interview with two people, and then was called back for a second round of interviews with two more people in the department. Typical interview process for this type of position. Although this was an entry-level position into the department, they seemed to only be interested in candidates who had special skills to bring, i.e. bilingual, expert in another newsworthy field.

Interview Question – Was given a list of terrorist organizations and told to name the countries they were associated with.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Designer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CNN.

Interview Details – 2 interviews

Negotiation Details – slow to occur- fast on the part of the department. HR was Picayunish, causing delays.

Intern

Interviewed at CNN

Interview Details – Resume and cover letter sent over the summer, contacted for an on the spot interview by HR (very basic and standard interview questions... person knew nothing about journalism or anything I had done on my resume) in mid November, follow up HR interview 1st week of December, sent secondary written application to fill out 2nd week of december, received on the spot interview with anchor of a show the following week and then offer the following friday.

Interview Question – If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?   Answer Question

Social Media Strategist/Analyst (Contract) Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CNN.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn. Called in for initial group interview. This interview was solely based on an assignment. The assignment was an application and a set of questions on your social media experience, tools and creating copy for an upcoming show. There really was no interaction between the employee and interview candidates and thus no opportunity to introduce yourself. The assignment could have been done at home and then they could have chosen candidates to move on to the second round.

For the second round, you were supposed to interview with the team. However, they were so overwhelmed with work that one had to cancel and another left the interview early for another meeting. Though I tried engaging, this person was visibly somewhere else.

I did not move on to the third and final interview with the Manager. This was unfortunate because as I was leaving one of the employees (from the interview) told me she didn't have any experience in this field. She had gotten the interview because she knew someone internally. It made the experience negative for me because I did have experience.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions but one employee asked what I call "preference" questions. For example, detailed or time-sensitive? They were more in-depth than that example and for many, there wasn't an obvious choice (why I call it preference). Since this particular person left the interview early and didn't ask many questions, I couldn't gauge which preference was "correct" in his opinion.   Answer Question

Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at CNN in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and in two weeks received an email asking to setup a phone interview with someone from HR. About two weeks later I received another email from the hiring manager asking to setup another phone interview. After 2nd phone interview, I was asked to come in for a 1 on 1 w/ manager & other team members.

Interview Question – why cnn? why did you choose your major? what are you looking to contribute to the department? compare two previous internship experiences. do you watch our programming? what was your least favorite intern task?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Interviewed at CNN

Interview Details – I met with three people in one sitting- which was fine. They asked me the typical interview questions and I appreciated the fact that I was able to go through the process in one session instead of having an all day back to back meetings. It was very straight forward.

Interview Question – Nothing really. The questions are what usually comes up in a typical interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of a negotiation. I was able to get a decent salary but I did take a pay cut.

Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at CNN.

Interview Details – Contacted by an individual in HR, very quick process.

Interview Question – There's not real unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CNN

Worked for CNN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CNN interview questions and advice. All 42 interview reviews posted anonymously by CNN employees and interview candidates.