COMSOL Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at COMSOL in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online, had 1 phone interview after a month passed. 2 people were on the line during the phone interview- the hiring manager and the design leader. The interview was far more detailed than an average phone screening. I had no idea that there would be 2 people on the line and I was not prepared for that. I heard nothing from the hiring manager after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your skills? What do you do when you and your boss have a disagreement? What is your process?   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at COMSOL in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. After months got email from a manager asking for a phone interview. The phone call lasted for half hour and was all about personal background. Onsite happened a month later. Two presentations were asked to prepare. One is your own work (anything) and the other one is presenting a model using COMSOL. Everyone is friendly, great location. Got a phone call about three weeks later

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at COMSOL.

Interview

I didn't get past the phone phase--I was well-prepared and well-qualified. The interviewer was dismissive, never gave me a chance to talk about my qualifications. I'm not sure what the issue was but, there was no chance here for me, not sure why I had a phone interview in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Mostly standard first phase questions: What are you doing now? What is your salary? Do you have direct reports?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at COMSOL (Burlington, MA).

Interview

Applied for the position over COMSOL website. Received an email arranging a phone interview after about a week. Phone interview went on for about half an hour and mainly focused on experience on resume, not technical at all though. Had an on-site interview the same week which lasted around three hours and consisted of an experience presentation for two senior engineers and a "case" interview. Cases tested ability to simply a problem to physical models and understanding of basic concepts.

Interview Questions

• Draw the system diagram from a research project four years ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Interviewers asked for expected salary. Also discussed work authorization for foreign employees.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at COMSOL.

Interview

I applied online and the received an email the very next day from a senior engineer asking to schedule a phone meeting. It all went well, and they seemed to be interested in my background, and after a couple more phone calls over the next two weeks, they invited me for an on-site interview. And then they went silent, and I could not get a hold of them. So I figured they changed their mind, and continued to search for other jobs. Three months later, I got an email from one of the company VPs apologizing for the previous confusion and again inviting me for an on-site interview. We scheduled the date and time, but when it came time for them to arrange my travel, they once again went silent and refused to return my phone calls and emails. On the day of the scheduled interview, I got a phone call from the company asking where I was (of course, I was at home, since I never received a travel itinerary). It turns out they booked a hotel for me in Burlington but never arranged for air travel. Basically, I'm sharing this experience so that others can know what to expect when dealing with this company (the Burlington office, at least). Another minor thing I noticed, was that the first they they asked me (both the senior engineer and the VP) was about my visa status and whether I would need sponsorship, even though I wrote very clearly in my resume/CV that I am an American citizen. It might be nothing, but it also might be indicative of the judgmental nature of some of the people there (I have a Chinese last name). Overall, my observation is that COMSOL is a company that lacks professionalism and has organizational problems.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was how to get to the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at COMSOL (Burlington, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

Few days after submitting the online application, I received an email from one of their senior application engineers, to schedule a phone interview the next day. The phone interview took about 45 min, with the call dropped once. I redialed and we kept the going smoothly. He asked about my finite element experience. Specifically "Can you tell me more about such and such project..." kind of things. Some particular questions were: If they were to give you what you wanted, which one would you choose: harmonic analysis or transient? How do you adjust time stepping in transient analysis? Element size in dynamic analysis? How many elements per wavelength? How much non-linear analysis have you done? Have you used COMSOL? Which version? What did you use for meshing? How do you address large deformations in linear FEM? Are you aware of a linear model that sustains large deformations? He concluded with saying "we'll do a follow up with you within a week or two". It's been more than two weeks: no response, so I'm guessing, they were looking for somebody else.

Interview Questions

• Are you aware of a linear FE model that supports large deformations?   1 Answer
    • How many elements per wavelength?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at COMSOL.

Interview

I applied online. The first interview and second face to face interview went smoothly and the process was were very fast. The interview questions were mainly pertaining to my background. However after the first two steps they kept delaying and never got back to me. I guess they found someone with a better resume and didn't let me know.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at COMSOL in March 2012.

Interview

I found the job posting on indeed.com and applied online at the company's website. I got an email about two days later to schedule a phone interview with an applications engineer. The phone interview went pretty ok. It was mostly technical stuff on computational fluid mechanics, turbulence modeling, finite element programing, open source software and my research work. I felt the interview went pretty ok and I was told to wait for their response in a couple of days. About half and hour later, I got a call from the hiring manager inviting me for an onsite interview at Comsol office in Burlington MA. The onsite interview lasted about 3 hours. I gave a presentation about my research. I got a number of technical questions during my presentation especially with regards to mathematical formulation of my research problem and the numerical implementation. I also got a lot of tech questions on fundamental numerics such as accuracy of Gudonov methods around a shock wave which to me was kinda odd considering how long ago I did all that stuff. At some point, I had to write out the steps for implementing the PISO algorithm on a white board...more like a thesis defense! I had other 1:1 interviews with different applications engineers, the hiring manager and more senior personnel and it was basically tech stuff particularly relating to my research background.

Interview Questions

• How do you implement the pressure implicit splitting operation to decouple pressure from velocity when solving the incompressible Navier stokes equations?   Answer Question

The offer they made me was less than what I got just a week earlier. Everyone seemed really friendly and nice. But the place seemed a little too low-energy for me!

Applied Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at COMSOL in December 2011.

Interview

Got two phone interviews. The first was about my background and what the job was about. The second was more technical, about the company, questions on the skills and experiences with the company software, cfd knowledges and the stuff they want people to solve.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at COMSOL in September 2011.

Interview

Basic