CPP Investment Board Interview Questions & Reviews

13 interviews

2.2

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CPP Investment Board in July 2014.

Recruiter asked me to arrange my own travel with verbal promise of reimbursement. My tab came to close to a grand, and all attempts to request reimbursement fell on deaf ears. Recruiter did not acknowledge the receipts of my expenses (i.e. no replies by email, no returning phone calls).

In this mood I arrived at the interview, with serious doubts about the integrity of this company, and less than 50% willingness to accept an offer if one was made. The hiring manager and the HR contact confirmed my doubts.

First round showed me that technically the staff was years behind me in my area of specialization, yet the interviewers constantly tried to find something wrong with my answers. Attacks on my logic and reasoning were absent, and instead they focused on coding style and even handwriting. It seems this is a deliberate strategy they employ to test the patience of candidates.

I felt a bit overqualified for the position because they happen to use only a subset of the features offered by the technology they interviewed me in, and even in that, they had multiple screwups. The person who greeted me informally chatted for a bit about a blunder someone had made that morning in saving data, and they were trying to fix it.

I took the time to answer some technical difficulties they had encountered recently in their architecture. My impression was that they lacked sufficient working knowledge not only of the technology but also of hardware. It was a bit surprising, but I kept that to myself.

Second round: they were not interested at all in my technical skills, instead grilled me for over 1.5 hours on behavioral questions and my shortcomings that went from mildly insulting to aggravating. Were clueless about where I would fit in. It seemed that the technical department was full of people from sales and marketing background who did enough to get by. They continued to imply that I lacked technical skills outside my area of expertise, and even that I lacked financial knowledge.

Technology doesn't seem to be an important part of their strategy for success (as compared to other banks like BoFA/MS/ML/JPM etc.)

IT department appears to exist like waiting staff in restaurants and all expectations are that newcomers will behave the same way.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all behavioral questions were unexpected because in other companies it is usually reserved for HR round, not technical.   View Answer

I am not waiting for an offer, if I get one I'll decline because frankly I'd prefer to work for a company that tries to focus on my best qualities and provides a positive interview experience (starting with taking responsibility for inviting a candidate over).

The reimbursement bit pissed me off so much that I decided to make it a point to give everyone a hard time during the interview.

It was obvious from the moment I spoke to the first guy who welcomed me that these guys won't be able to afford me.

Analyst - Structured Products Interview

It was an immediate hire, got a phone call 5 days after applying and had a phone interview. It was very basic, just went over my resume, basic questions about my excel skills etc. Scheduled an in person interview 5 days later. Met with two Sr. Managers, went over basic interview questions, describe past opportunities and daily tasks at the last job, conflict management questions, derivative questions, describe swaps and other questions pertaining to derivatives.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CPP Investment Board in February 2014.

I got an interview for CPPIB through a temping agency. The process from first interview to hired took about 2 weeks, but 2 interviews (an hour and a half long each!) and met in total 9 people in the interviews. The initial interview with HR was probably the most intense- as I am quite young and don't have a lot of experience they weren't convinced that I would be able to handle the stress of the job. Once I met the people who I would eventually work with, I was put more at ease. It was more of a conversation about my educational and work background, which let to fun conversations about travel. Once I survived the first interview, I was called back for a second, where I met 3 more members of my eventual team. I found out that I was hired about 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked why I would want to work for an investment board as my background isn't in finance. I was also asked how I deal with stressful situations and prioritizing important tasks.   Answer Question
    As it was a contract, I wasn't able to negotiate. I was given a salary but without benefits.

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at CPP Investment Board.

Very easy interview, VERY unprofessional employees.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

It was my first interview here in Toronto when I had just moved from Montreal and I was excited about it! I came in with a big smile and a great attitude. One minute into the conversation the interviewer made an unpleasant comment about us "Montrealers". And then she giggled about it. Clearly she had something against Montrealers and she made a point to show it before the interview had even started.

What really left a bitter taste in my mouth though, is that she purposely wasted my (unpaid) time and her company's money by having me come in. And I doubt it was the first or last time a member of their Executive team exercised ill judgement.

It was a disappointing experience, but I'm glad I didn't end up working with someone like that. I got a much better job shortly after and I'm proud to say that our team of Executive Torontonians is nothing like that. :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at CPP Investment Board in March 2014.

Applied through the online careers website at cppib.

Received a call for interview about 3 weeks later for a phone screening interview which consisted on very high level vague questions about my experience using excel.

Received a phone call 3 weeks later to schedule an interview. 1st interview was with a senior advisor and HR personnel. Very casual, and mostly went over my resume and asked basic behavioural/situational questions. Lasted 1 hour.

Called me back next day for a 2nd interview to be scheduled with 2 managers. 2nd interview was also quite informal and casual, mostly discussed about the role, some behavioural questions, and asked me about some items I had written on my resume. Lasted 1 hour.

Called me back next day to give me an offer.

Interview Questions
    Had to take a $5k pay cut from current position, but the benefits offered, growth opportunities, and the culture of the team I met with had me sold. Was able to negotiate $1k more in salary and a later start date.

Senior Analyst Interview

The first 1:1 interview was about 45 minutes long with the Hiring Manager only and was pretty straightforward, mostly made up of behavioral questions. They were concerned mainly with past accomplishments and fit in relation to the job description. I did not advance to the second round as they brought in an internal hire.

Analyst, Investment Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at CPP Investment Board in March 2013.

Applied to the offical site, get phone call from HR, got phone call for interview arranged.
    Normally, if they are interested, they will be pretty fast to follow up and arrange the 2nd interview. if not, they probly not contact in time.

Interview Questions
    • They will give u a laptop to test your practical knowledge with the guidance of interviewer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CPP Investment Board.

There were 2 in-person interviews: 1 with the Hiring Manager and the second with the Hiring Manager and the Director. The interview was pretty informal. Few technical questions, however most questions were focused primarily on my previous work experience in relation to the role.

Interview Questions
    • What were some of the recurring inefficiencies you have experienced in your previous jobs? What recommendations did you make?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had a difficult time with a vendor/internal client and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Private Investments Interview

First round - one 30-minute interview
    Second round - four 30-minute interviews, including a case study

Worked for CPP Investment Board? Contribute to the Community!