CSU Bakersfield

Updated Nov 9, 2014

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at CSU Bakersfield

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at CSU Bakersfield.

CSUB's first round of interviews is a Skype interview by a panel of 6-8 people drawn from the area you would work with as well as any associated areas you will work with by extension. They contact you with the Skype information a week or so in advance. The Skype interview itself is not stressful at all. Their equipment is top notch so you can easily see and hear the whole panel. The questions asked were pertinent to the position, no trick questions. If you pass the Skype interview, you will next be invited on site for an in-person interview. In this case, I first interviewed with most of the people from the panel, but in person, answering some more in depth questions about my skills and experience. After that, I was interviewed by a much larger panel consisting of many of my future co-workers. In all, it was a positive experience and enabled me to get a good idea of what the position will be like.

Interview Questions
    • Give a detailed explanation of how you would handle an assignment to start a new project and gather requirements.   Answer Question
    CSU staff jobs are union, so you really don't have a lot of negotiating room. Zero wriggle room on benefits ( I tried ) and a small amount on salary. All positions fall within a union-negotiated salary band and you cannot rise too high above any others in your band, either. So not a good fit if you like to be exceptional and be rewarded individually for your work.

Student Assistant Interview

The interview was done by the department chair and my immediate supervisor. My supervisor asked all the questions. At the end of the interview I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were basic. What forms of technology was I familiar with?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase.

Instructor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CSU Bakersfield.

Contacted first by email to set up a phone interview; conference call. No onsite interview. Questions were very reasonable and the interview process was not unpleasant.

Interview Questions
    The Dean called and made an offer with no possibility of bargaining