CSU Sacramento

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tutor Interview

Tutor
Sacramento, CA

I interviewed at CSU Sacramento in May 2012.

Interview Details – If you took the class "Writing Center Internship" and passed the class, all you have to do it submit an application to the English Department. You must submit with the application a letter why you wish to be employed at the Writing Center and how you will help the students there become better writers.

Freshman Composition Instructor Interview

Freshman Composition Instructor
Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in November 2011.

Interview Details – This process is for CSUS Master's Students in the MA Composition, Literature, Creative Writing, English, and TESOL programs wanting to apply to teach freshman composition. These are the majors that are qualified to teach this Graduate Teaching Associate position. First, there will be an announcement that goes out in the Spring Semester asking for applicants. Fill out the application with a personal statement. Then, if you are chosen, you will receive a call for an interview with a follow-up letter confirming your interview. On your interview day, show up at least 30 minutes early. When I interviewed, it was inside a nice conference room on an upper floor of the University Union building. I sat at the head of the table while the four people interviewing me sat at around the table. Each person took a turn asking me a question. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. One of the teachers interviewing me smiled nicely the whole time. Two looked neutral, and one looked unhappy. They had a specific set of questions they would ask all applicants. Mostly questions about our teaching philosophy, how we would present certain topics, how we would handle different situations, the order we would present things in, group work, etc. You need to know current composition teaching beliefs, practices and pedagogy. Also, be expected to answer a question about what theorists influenced you the most and why (you can't go wrong with Paulo Freire and his critical pedagogy and Freirean teaching methods). You will also be asked to address the issue of second language learners in the composition classroom. Once the interview is done, you will hear back in 1-3 weeks about whether or not you were given the job. If you got the job, you will be given choices of class times to teach, and you will be expected to create your outline for the semester and your prompts, peer review forms and grading rubrics (4 prompts in total - basically your whole writing sequence). Everything else you create and plan as the semester progresses. I truly enjoyed working here. Good luck!

Interview Question – 1) Who is the theorist that most influenced you and your teaching philosophy? 2) How would you address second language learning issues (ESL) and theories in your classroom?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The pay for this position is set. There is no negotiation. At the time, I was paid about $600 for one semester. I ended up working for two semesters here.

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Sacramento, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in May 2009.

Interview Details – Basic interview questions. What is your motivation for wanting to work in this department? What do you do on campus? What experience would help you in this position?

Interview Question – What motivates you?   Answer Question

Student Assistant - IT Interview

Student Assistant - IT
Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in May 2010.

Interview Details – Good. Asked me couple of simple question related to debugging things n fixing the computers.. how to check n/w connection. Changing default configurations.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult in the question or situation. They were friendly   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation for student assistant position

IT Print Coordinator Interview

IT Print Coordinator
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was a little shocking in that it was against a panel of 5. They did provide a handout of the questions they were going to ask a few minutes beforehand however, which made it a little more comfortable. Afterward, a tour of a facility was provided. The process afterward took a very long time; a little over a month before contact was made with a rejection notice in the mail with nothing as to why.

Interview Question – Describe a specific incident where you felt most proud in your career.   Answer Question

Database Interview

Database
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in November 2010.

Interview Details – Got an interview offer by email, regarding they are looking for some one who knows about databases - Oracle. Was invited for face - face interview and asked about my past database project and what database I have worked on? They liked my skills and knowledge about database. Email them after 10 days and they told me I have been selected, but the HR process would take time as most of staff was on Thanks Giving Holiday.

Interview Question – How to write PL/SQL queries? How to optimise the performance of the database?   Answer Question

Note Taker Interview

Note Taker
Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was asked all basic questions like "tell about yourself". Then I was asked to take notes of a lecture that was played on the tape recorder.
It went for about 10 minutes.
Then i was selected for the position.

Interview Question – Tell about yourself.   Answer Question

Night Shuttle Driver/Dispatch Interview

Night Shuttle Driver/Dispatch
Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in July 2009.

Interview Details – First off, you can only be hired for this position if you are enrolled at CSUS with a 2.0 GPA and 3 years of driving experience. Initially I called to see if I would be disqualified from a driving position because I had gotten a speeding ticket the year before. I was told that as long as that was it, I could still apply but they were currently full. I came in and filled in an application, then a few weeks later was called in for an interview because someone was graduating and needed to be replaced. The interview took about 45min. He had me leave the room so he could call my references. He offered me the job after speaking to them.

Interview Questions

• What did you do when you had an unsatisfied customer? Describe a specific situation.   Answer Question
  • What things did you not like about your previous job?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in August 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview was 1:1 with the assistant director. Interview lasted over an hour. Then I rec'd a call regarding the second interview with the director. This second interview also lasted over an hour. Next came a call to come by and pick up a background clearance packet. This included a check of FBI records as well as state criminal database. Once that cleared, formal job offer was made and accepted.

Interview Question – Please review this passage and tell me where there are spelling errors.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A. Set salaries.

Design Interview

Design

The process took a day - interviewed at CSU Sacramento in May 2008.

Interview Details – Standard interview fare about my work history, why I was interested in this job, my strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Question – None of the questions were exceptionally difficult.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for CSU Sacramento? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSU Sacramento interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by CSU Sacramento employees and interview candidates.