CSX Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

LDP Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

Pretty easy interview process just behavioral questions. Leadership roles, previous experiences etc.

Supply Chain Management Trainee Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

After completing the online application, I received an email stating that I had been selected to move to the next part of the process. I scheduled a phone interview with a recruiter which lasted approximately 30 minutes. He asked very basic interview questions to gauge my level of interest in the company and the program, my willingness to relocate, and my academic and professional experience up until that point.

Freight Conductor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CSX.

Got a phone called stating I was qualified. Now I'm waiting. I hv been reading other comments and reviews and it all seems pretty consistent. Idk what my next step is because they left a message so I have to return call back tomorro. Process took about 2 weeks only from the time I applied to receiving a phone call.

If I get an offer I may or may not accept it. My kids are still small.

Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CSX.

The application process begins online www.csx.com, then careers. A detailed resume, with time to complete a competency based questionnaire and then assessments (test). The test are computer based and require focus and quiet. Once you submit your application, you may have a phone interview or go to a hiring session. Either way be sure you can answer questions about your past work experience and how it relates to the current position. CSX has five governing leadership principles: Thought, People, Results, Self and Technical Leadership. Be prepared to answer questions related to any or all of these areas. The final interview is usually a panel interview with human resources, the hiring manager and someone else that works close with that position. The interview type is known as behavioral interviewing. Dress professional no matter what job you are interviewing for, be early, bring notes and resumes. Learn as much as you can about CSX by reviewing our websites, reviewing articles about the railroad and researching the position you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses and what have you done to develop them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

I submitted an application online, it took approximately 3 1/2 weeks to hear back from them. They contacted me via email with the hiring session details. They then sent a second email identical to the first and then changed the online submission status to "2nd attempt to schedule". This concerned me as there was no way for me to confirm that I was going to attend. I contacted customer service and they assured me that this was just part of their process. It was.

The session took nearly the entire day. The "Brief" that was given about the company lasted a total of 2 hours. The individual giving the "speech" repeated the same things over and over again.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a safety violation you witnessed and tell me how you addressed the issue?   Answer Question

Manager Public Safety and Environmental Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CSX in August 2014.

I applied online and took an online assessment. I then received, what I guess you could only call, an email interview. I answered roughly 10 questions they emailed me. Then I had a phone interview. I was then flown down to Jacksonville and put up in a hotel and had two in person interviews in the same day. Had a morning interview, after which I had to break down a statute for the VP (pretty much a project), had 30 minutes to complete it. Got called back for a second afternoon interview. Overall I felt like the interviews went well. When I asked when they were looking for someone to start, they told me they were looking to move quickly from there, which was a relief at the time because from the time I had applied and finally had an in person interview it was about two months. I had a fantastic experience all around, until after the interview. I waited between a week and a half and two weeks to follow up to see where they were in the process. Heard nothing. Waited another week and a half and sent emails to a few people I interviewed with asking where they were in the process and when I should hear something. Only response I got was that they would let me know when they knew something definite. At this point I know I did not get the job, but I would like some closure and professionally decency after all I had gone through to try and get the position. I call again. Heard nothing. I then called the secretary of the VP and she tells me I will be getting a call from HR that day. The next day I received an email informing me I did not get the position. I was very impressed with CSX on the whole. Everyone I dealt with was great. But if you are applying or in the process of waiting to hear back, be prepared to wait (pretty much all steps in process took longer than they told me it would). It took over a month from my in person interviews to getting a no go on the job. So, only criticism I have is for CSX to step up their game and let people know.

Interview Questions
    • Panel interview with a lot of behavioral questions. Nothing you cannot prepare for, just get a list off the internet of behavioral questions and have some responses ready.   Answer Question

Operations Research Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at CSX.

I applied online and got instructions to do initial assessment online a month later. This step comprised questions to determine the ability to read tables and do basic operations/inference and a lot of behavioral/ethics questions. About three months later I got a phone interview. They asked questions about my experience and other questions to check my knowledge.
    About ten days later I made the on site interview. It took place in Jacksonville, FL. The office is not a pleasant place, it's rather depressing, with brownish walls, old desks and no windows. The team was courteous. I talked to every soul in that place, I got the same questions over and over. At some point I had to make an exam, what they call 'technical challenge'.
    The exam was about OR and programming (LP, SQL, OOP, hypothesis test). For some reason they are obsessed with hypothesis test. The exam was rather a disappointing experience since I got criticisms for some of my answers and it turned out that the things they criticized were ok, it was them who were wrong.
    Overall it seems that they are looking for someone who just received his PhD. In real life you can always open a book and freshen up your knowledge. Experience doesn't come from books.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to write an OO program to sort a table with 3 rows and 4 columns. Nobody in his right mind will do such a thing. Anyways, I wrote two classes, one for the data type and another for sorting. I figured they wanted to know if I knew OOP so I separated sorting from data, as it happens in every OOP lib or system on planet Earth. The 'unexpected question' was 'why did I you write two classes?' I explained I had two conceptually different things. They didn't get it.   Answer Question

Finance Leadership Development Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

Started off with a web interview which was just basic resume overview questions (I go to a school which is outside their college recruiting zone) and once I got past that I had a basic 10 question finance quiz that they sent to me (time limit on it). I assume I passed that, it is basic corp finance questions and some financial accounting as well. Not hard. From there they invited me to Jacksonville to the final round. It was quite intimidating before I got there...you have a case sent to you and are given one week to prepare it. it turned out to be a basic corporate finance project valuation case. I actually enjoyed it. You have 2 interviews and the case presentation in the final day. The 2 interviews are not bad, the environment is very friendly and positive and they ask you both technical and behavioral type of questions. They got back to me within a day after that

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was how would you prepare a budget for a vp/executive, another one about coal and futures.   View Answer
    none but $21/hr as an intern is great

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

If you are going into this job the only advice I can give you is think "safety." You might think you know safety, these guys breath it. To put it into perceptive, they practiced fire drills in a hotel before the interview.

I showed up about 20 minutes to the interview where I was asked to put a number next to my name. There were people there who has shown up an hour before I did. Turns out, this number was the order in which we were to be interviewed. I sat down and to make it short, they hold a presentation that takes about two hours to finish; but it is informative. They try everything they can to discourage people from joining during this process. Stuff like, this is an exhausting job, this is a job that can kill you, this is a job that might not pay well in the short term, you will be required to take a 6 week course where you must score 85% on tests and 100% on a signal exam.

After the presentation, three guys interview you at once. The questions I was asked was mainly on safety. "Where did you practice safety on your previous job," "was there ever a time you caught someone breaking safety rules." Prepare accordingly.

In the End, you will get an email either saying go take a physical exam and a drug test, you did not get the job, or your resume will be in our system. Needless to say, I got the one that did not give me the job.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question is not even that hard, " was there ever a time you caught someone breaking a safety rule, what did you do?"   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

Can be subjective and really depends on the hiring manager/dept. Very hard to get in and need to pass the online screen before you 'might' get to the hiring manager. That is also subjective to the HR individual.

Interview Questions
    • As for questions and any additional information, you really need to find out who is hiring as the process varies. Some folks will have standard personality questions, other case studies. Ultimately need to understand what's your personality, how well you work with others, and how you think.   Answer Question