CSX

Updated Nov 3, 2014
Updated Nov 3, 2014

Technology Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CSX.

E-mail for times for phone panel interview, 3 person panel in phone call, lasted about 35 min, mostly behavioral questions, asked about group work when things went well and when it didn't, asked about my technical skills, and asked about a time where time was a big issue and how I handled it; there were about 3-4 scripted questions plus some follow ups on what I said

LDP Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

Pretty easy interview process just behavioral questions. Leadership roles, previous experiences etc.

Supply Chain Management Trainee Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

After completing the online application, I received an email stating that I had been selected to move to the next part of the process. I scheduled a phone interview with a recruiter which lasted approximately 30 minutes. He asked very basic interview questions to gauge my level of interest in the company and the program, my willingness to relocate, and my academic and professional experience up until that point.

CSX Finance Leadership Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CSX in October 2014.

Went to an information session on campus and then applied through my school. was given a Finance test with some mid level financial questions and was then awarded an on campus interview that was very laid back and asked some basic questions about myself and some situational questions as well. I was then brought to their headquarters to present a case study they emailed me a week before this interview. The case study is rather challenging and very subjective.

Interview Questions
    • If two companies were going to merge what would they look for in each other?   Answer Question

Freight Conductor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CSX.

Got a phone called stating I was qualified. Now I'm waiting. I hv been reading other comments and reviews and it all seems pretty consistent. Idk what my next step is because they left a message so I have to return call back tomorro. Process took about 2 weeks only from the time I applied to receiving a phone call.

If I get an offer I may or may not accept it. My kids are still small.

Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CSX.

The application process begins online www.csx.com, then careers. A detailed resume, with time to complete a competency based questionnaire and then assessments (test). The test are computer based and require focus and quiet. Once you submit your application, you may have a phone interview or go to a hiring session. Either way be sure you can answer questions about your past work experience and how it relates to the current position. CSX has five governing leadership principles: Thought, People, Results, Self and Technical Leadership. Be prepared to answer questions related to any or all of these areas. The final interview is usually a panel interview with human resources, the hiring manager and someone else that works close with that position. The interview type is known as behavioral interviewing. Dress professional no matter what job you are interviewing for, be early, bring notes and resumes. Learn as much as you can about CSX by reviewing our websites, reviewing articles about the railroad and researching the position you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses and what have you done to develop them?   Answer Question

Manager Public Safety and Environmental Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CSX in August 2014.

I applied online and took an online assessment. I then received, what I guess you could only call, an email interview. I answered roughly 10 questions they emailed me. Then I had a phone interview. I was then flown down to Jacksonville and put up in a hotel and had two in person interviews in the same day. Had a morning interview, after which I had to break down a statute for the VP (pretty much a project), had 30 minutes to complete it. Got called back for a second afternoon interview. Overall I felt like the interviews went well. When I asked when they were looking for someone to start, they told me they were looking to move quickly from there, which was a relief at the time because from the time I had applied and finally had an in person interview it was about two months. I had a fantastic experience all around, until after the interview. I waited between a week and a half and two weeks to follow up to see where they were in the process. Heard nothing. Waited another week and a half and sent emails to a few people I interviewed with asking where they were in the process and when I should hear something. Only response I got was that they would let me know when they knew something definite. At this point I know I did not get the job, but I would like some closure and professionally decency after all I had gone through to try and get the position. I call again. Heard nothing. I then called the secretary of the VP and she tells me I will be getting a call from HR that day. The next day I received an email informing me I did not get the position. I was very impressed with CSX on the whole. Everyone I dealt with was great. But if you are applying or in the process of waiting to hear back, be prepared to wait (pretty much all steps in process took longer than they told me it would). It took over a month from my in person interviews to getting a no go on the job. So, only criticism I have is for CSX to step up their game and let people know.

Interview Questions
    • Panel interview with a lot of behavioral questions. Nothing you cannot prepare for, just get a list off the internet of behavioral questions and have some responses ready.   Answer Question

Talent Assessment and Analytics Consultant II Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CSX in August 2014.

This was a brand new position and was sent to me by a colleague who had been in contact with the recruiter. I reached out to the recruiter, applied online, and had an initial phone screen to discuss my background, previously held positions, and interest in the company/location. I then filled out a 30-minute online personality/behavioral assessment, and was scheduled again to speak to the recruiter 3 weeks later. The recruiter was very personable and seemed very impressed with my background and resume. The day after the second recruiter interview, I was sent a list of 5 questions to answer, and instructed to answer thoroughly and respond by COB the next day. The questions asked why I was leaving my previous position, to describe my transition in positions listed on my resume, and other questions about my experience directly pertaining to the job requirements listed in the job posting.

Arrangements were then made to have a video interview with the hiring manager a week later. The call was scheduled to be 45 mins, but lasted an hour. I was asked about my interest in contributing to professional conferences, my level of comfort and experience with different types of statistics, as well as a series of behavioral and situational questions. The hiring manager seemed very nice, personable, and assured me she had no qualms about my qualifications. Two weeks later I hadn't anything and sent a follow-up email to the recruiter; heard nothing. I finally received a response two months after the initial interview, first an e-mail asking me to call, then another automated e-mail rejecting me. My subsequent calls and e-mails went unanswered.

Overall, I was very disappointed with the lack of consideration I was shown after having invested so much time and energy into this process. This was a senior-level position and I suspect the reason I didn't get to the final stage was because of my experience (I have a PhD, but only a couple of years of experience), but this was never was communicated to me.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your consulting experience with HR partners on current processes to identify improvements, manage large, complex projects related to the implementation of those solutions, develop analytics to monitor progress, and define additional needs.   Answer Question

Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

I submitted an application online, it took approximately 3 1/2 weeks to hear back from them. They contacted me via email with the hiring session details. They then sent a second email identical to the first and then changed the online submission status to "2nd attempt to schedule". This concerned me as there was no way for me to confirm that I was going to attend. I contacted customer service and they assured me that this was just part of their process. It was.

The session took nearly the entire day. The "Brief" that was given about the company lasted a total of 2 hours. The individual giving the "speech" repeated the same things over and over again.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a safety violation you witnessed and tell me how you addressed the issue?   Answer Question

Operations Research Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at CSX.

I applied online and got instructions to do initial assessment online a month later. This step comprised questions to determine the ability to read tables and do basic operations/inference and a lot of behavioral/ethics questions. About three months later I got a phone interview. They asked questions about my experience and other questions to check my knowledge.
    About ten days later I made the on site interview. It took place in Jacksonville, FL. The office is not a pleasant place, it's rather depressing, with brownish walls, old desks and no windows. The team was courteous. I talked to every soul in that place, I got the same questions over and over. At some point I had to make an exam, what they call 'technical challenge'.
    The exam was about OR and programming (LP, SQL, OOP, hypothesis test). For some reason they are obsessed with hypothesis test. The exam was rather a disappointing experience since I got criticisms for some of my answers and it turned out that the things they criticized were ok, it was them who were wrong.
    Overall it seems that they are looking for someone who just received his PhD. In real life you can always open a book and freshen up your knowledge. Experience doesn't come from books.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to write an OO program to sort a table with 3 rows and 4 columns. Nobody in his right mind will do such a thing. Anyways, I wrote two classes, one for the data type and another for sorting. I figured they wanted to know if I knew OOP so I separated sorting from data, as it happens in every OOP lib or system on planet Earth. The 'unexpected question' was 'why did I you write two classes?' I explained I had two conceptually different things. They didn't get it.   Answer Question