www.csx.com

CSX Interview Questions

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

Operations Research Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at CSX.

I applied online and got instructions to do initial assessment online a month later. This step comprised questions to determine the ability to read tables and do basic operations/inference and a lot of behavioral/ethics questions. About three months later I got a phone interview. They asked questions about my experience and other questions to check my knowledge.
    About ten days later I made the on site interview. It took place in Jacksonville, FL. The office is not a pleasant place, it's rather depressing, with brownish walls, old desks and no windows. The team was courteous. I talked to every soul in that place, I got the same questions over and over. At some point I had to make an exam, what they call 'technical challenge'.
    The exam was about OR and programming (LP, SQL, OOP, hypothesis test). For some reason they are obsessed with hypothesis test. The exam was rather a disappointing experience since I got criticisms for some of my answers and it turned out that the things they criticized were ok, it was them who were wrong.
    Overall it seems that they are looking for someone who just received his PhD. In real life you can always open a book and freshen up your knowledge. Experience doesn't come from books.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to write an OO program to sort a table with 3 rows and 4 columns. Nobody in his right mind will do such a thing. Anyways, I wrote two classes, one for the data type and another for sorting. I figured they wanted to know if I knew OOP so I separated sorting from data, as it happens in every OOP lib or system on planet Earth. The 'unexpected question' was 'why did I you write two classes?' I explained I had two conceptually different things. They didn't get it.   Answer Question

Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

If you are going into this job the only advice I can give you is think "safety." You might think you know safety, these guys breath it. To put it into perceptive, they practiced fire drills in a hotel before the interview.

I showed up about 20 minutes to the interview where I was asked to put a number next to my name. There were people there who has shown up an hour before I did. Turns out, this number was the order in which we were to be interviewed. I sat down and to make it short, they hold a presentation that takes about two hours to finish; but it is informative. They try everything they can to discourage people from joining during this process. Stuff like, this is an exhausting job, this is a job that can kill you, this is a job that might not pay well in the short term, you will be required to take a 6 week course where you must score 85% on tests and 100% on a signal exam.

After the presentation, three guys interview you at once. The questions I was asked was mainly on safety. "Where did you practice safety on your previous job," "was there ever a time you caught someone breaking safety rules." Prepare accordingly.

In the End, you will get an email either saying go take a physical exam and a drug test, you did not get the job, or your resume will be in our system. Needless to say, I got the one that did not give me the job.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question is not even that hard, " was there ever a time you caught someone breaking a safety rule, what did you do?"   Answer Question

Finance Leadership Development Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

Started off with a web interview which was just basic resume overview questions (I go to a school which is outside their college recruiting zone) and once I got past that I had a basic 10 question finance quiz that they sent to me (time limit on it). I assume I passed that, it is basic corp finance questions and some financial accounting as well. Not hard. From there they invited me to Jacksonville to the final round. It was quite intimidating before I got there...you have a case sent to you and are given one week to prepare it. it turned out to be a basic corporate finance project valuation case. I actually enjoyed it. You have 2 interviews and the case presentation in the final day. The 2 interviews are not bad, the environment is very friendly and positive and they ask you both technical and behavioral type of questions. They got back to me within a day after that

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was how would you prepare a budget for a vp/executive, another one about coal and futures.   View Answer
    none but $21/hr as an intern is great

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

Can be subjective and really depends on the hiring manager/dept. Very hard to get in and need to pass the online screen before you 'might' get to the hiring manager. That is also subjective to the HR individual.

Interview Questions
    • As for questions and any additional information, you really need to find out who is hiring as the process varies. Some folks will have standard personality questions, other case studies. Ultimately need to understand what's your personality, how well you work with others, and how you think.   Answer Question

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CSX in April 2014.

Applied Online. Week later received email that stated I had moved to the next step in review process. Week later received congratulations email that I had been chosen for an interview. Interviewed with three other candidates. Day of interview was briefed about company culture and mission. Given detailed description about position and responsibilities. Toured department, reviewed equipment and environment with other candidates. Proceeded to interview each candidate one at a time. Interview panel made up of two people, department supervisor and member of the talent acquisition team. Given standard interview questions. Two days later received email informing me of their decision.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer (internal) comes to you and demands that you do something that is not budgeted for that job and becomes irate. How do you handle that person/situation?   View Answer

Regional Sales and Leasing Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at CSX.

OMG - what a cluster. Excruciating panel interview with canned scenario questions - with a case study. HR takes painfully long to respond and in the end, the offer was disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project that was unusually challenging. What were the challenges and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question

The workload and corporate BS isn't worth it.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

Applied online through campus recruiting. Interviewed over the phone, very basic questions. Mostly they told me about the position and the department. A lot of interest in the software I knew how to use (Tableau, SAP, and Access). They use Sharepoint a lot. After the phone interview, they called me back less than a week later to extend the offer. I didn't officially start for another 2 months after that.

Interview Questions
    • Out of all the other applicants, why should we give this position to you?   View Answer
    I just asked what the pay rate was and how flexible the hours could be. It was very casual and they were completely willing to work around my school schedule. I didn't negotiate the rate, I thought it more than fair.

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CSX in March 2014.

Online application, phone interview, with three gentleman. Two of which were wonderful, one of which who made it very difficult and started badgering me. You are on a line that is open for the next person to interview to listen. This happened to me and I don't know how long he was listening before they realized he was on the line.

Customer Service Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at CSX in March 2014.

Frequent and detailed email communication leading up to interview. Panel style interview with three managers, interview questions were very generic, customer service oriented questions, i.e. “give an example of a time…” Managers took turn reading questions; the interview seemed scripted and impersonal.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   View Answer

Yardmaster Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at CSX.

Three interviews, Phone, Face to Face, then with officer of Terminal

Interview Questions
    • Cant think of one, at the time I was ready for what ever they would ask.   Answer Question
    None for this position