CUNA Mutual Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual (Madison, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted through a recruiter. I interviewed within a week and was offered the job the next day. The process went smoothly and I have no complaints about anyone I worked with.

Organizational Change Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual (Madison, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

After interviewing over the phone with a recruiter, my resume and information was passed on to CUNA, who had posted in early Feb for this position. 2 weeks passed without any information and I assumed there was no interest. Recruiter then contacted me in a panic because she saw CUNA saying they wanted to interview me - had I heard from them? No. Few more days pass, yes they do want to interview me - I let the recruiter know I had other positions I was interviewing for and she tried to expedite things with CUNA, but this seemed to have the opposite effect. Someone was on vacation, someone else was out next week and the "whole team" had to be there, etc etc. with several emails and more days passing before a date could finally be set - 2 weeks out. Interview day arrives, I get there and the "hiring manager" was 10-15m late; then left and returned to the 2 hr interview several times, she had a cold and something was going on at the office, etc. Everyone was very polite, but on top of all the hot/cold stuff to even get the interview scheduled, I started to suspect that either they weren't serious about hiring me/anyone, or this is how they typically conduct business. Not good either way. Since I'd driven up (90m one way) to have this interview, I was not really impressed with the lack of organization and professionalism. I asked why this position was available and got a run-around answer. Ok. So who's doing this work now? Contractors... but if we find the right fit, we would make an offer. At this point I figure they want to promote one of their contractors but have to go through a phony external search first, or something corporate like that. Fine. Would have saved me quite a bit of time to understand they were just window shopping all along; the recruiter told me a week later that I was one of 8 or 9 candidates, but they decided not to hire anyone. I wish them luck on whatever the strategy was here, they seemed to have nice facilities and an interesting ambition for their team.

Interview Questions

• How do you assess culture in an organization you're not already working in?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

One phone and followed by other onsite interview. Not much technical but work related expect more than one interviewer. Managerial, it , and project manager. It it ij vi Ty yu ct

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Accepted offer with bit negotiation. There was some back and forth for salAry

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual.

Interview

The process consisted of a phone interview with two people from HR. Then had face to face interview with the hiring manager and two other individuals I would be working with in other departments. Overall, the process was positive.

Contractor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual.

Interview

Inverview process was very quick and painless. They were very quick to get back to me after the interview. I received a call within days. The interview was very similar to other interviews.

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual (Madison, WI) in December 2014.

Interview

The hiring process took about 4 weeks total. Started with a phone interview with HR, followed by two in person interviews with 4 different people total. The questions were mostly "tell us about a time you..." types. As a whole the process seemed to move quite slowly to me.

Business Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual (Madison, WI) in September 2014.

Interview

This role was brought to me by a recruiter. The job description was a "word salad" and after some research I found that it was ripped from some other website. How lazy can HR and the hiring manager get....Anyway, this is a senior role with high visibility and responsibility in the organization and After some prescreening by the recruiter, I had a first phone interview with HR. Pretty standard questions like tell me about your background - nothing technical. They were mainly trying to get at my rationale for WHY CUNA MUTUAL Group and WHY this particular role. At that point I was honest and said the general info on CMG's site was interesting regarding new business they are trying to start, but the job description wasn't terribly helpful. I was willing to see where this process goes. I made it to another phone 30 min call with the hiring manager. She asked similar questions to HR and told a bit more about what the role actually is about. It was very conversational and I felt very good after the call. I was invited in for 3 hour marathon interview. I was to meet 8 people in groups of two. The meetings were about 30-45 minutes each. Basically they asked the same questions over again. Why CUNA, why this job, tell me about your self etc. Nothing was terribly difficult or shocking. I didn't have a good chance to get a sense of the surroundings because I was quickly ushered to a soulless conference room off their atrium. I felt everyone was nice and they weren't trying to tack me to the wall. However, did not get a sense of a lot of energy from them either Many had been there 10, 15 or 20 years and they seem to rush from meeting to meeting to meeting. I was coming out of a entrepreneurial venture that I started, and that was very difficult for them to get their head around. They couldn't conceive of someone leaving the comfort of a secure job to start their own business. It was almost like they were afraid me..YOU DID WHAT!!? Anyway about a week past, then HR called again schedule another follow-up call. The interview team had some follow-up questions they needed to clarification on. They were concerned about my "job hopping" but I has always been at companies at least 2 years so for their culture that is job hopping. Being mature enough to know when to leave a role, is important; but they had trouble understanding that. They also couldn't understand how my answer of WHY I wanted to work there would change from interview to interview. Logic suggests that with each interview I have more information informing and shaping my opinion so naturally the answer should evolve. HR seemed satisfied with my responses. I was invited back for ANOTHER 3 hour interview. Same kangaroo court style meet N greet. I did get to meet the VP of the department so this was supposed to be the final step before an offer. (Thus far the recruiter said it was all GREEN LIGHTS and an offer should be coming... ) I did get a tour of the buildings and it seems like a nice place, but it's an office. Cubes everywhere. Gray and florescent lights. They still dress business casual and have jeans only on Friday. Conservative. You can tell there are people phoning it in there and there isn't a ton of energy. HR said my final onsite interview went well and she told the recruiter to keep me on the hook and offer should be coming! About 4 days later, I got a call from the recruiter that they decided not to go with me after all that! They thought "he has an impressive background, is engaging to speak with, and has the soft skills we are looking for. The negatives are that he has no EA, Insurance or Credit Union experience so he most likely will need to gain that before he can be effective. " It was odd because they knew from before our first meeting what my background was. This was a very clear and well known fact. The salaries ARE good and benefits too. Yet, all the great benefits and fluff can make people too cozy and they do not want to disrupt their soft nest. Nobody will take a risk. Nobody will innovate unless it's approved by all the committees. The good benefits also makes employees easy to control. Someone who has been there 15+ years can no longer see possibilities - rather they see everything as a potential threat. I'm not bitter about the process. It's hard to go through a process and they tell you one thing to your face and then behind closed doors, they decide something else. I directly asked them how I fit, where there any red flags regarding my background. It was all good! They even told me I was exactly the type of candidate they've been looking for!! I had been fast tracked through their process. HR and the recruiter were amazed how fast I was progressing. But then after a month and 1 week and over 6 interviews they said NO.

Interview Questions

• How would I deal with the bureaucracy and the ability to not get stuff done as fast as with at other companies or as quickly as at my own company. This was a red flag to me that they like to have LOTs AND LOTs of meetings to quibble and equivocate. The question wasn't hard, but it could be a political trap. I think those are questions you have to watch out for. They are looking for go along get along type people who will side with them. If you show you won't play politics then you might not get in or might not last.   Answer Question

Business Systems Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual.

Interview

They ask behavioral questions. What did you do when you had to work with someone who wasn't pulling their weight? How did you react when someone disagreed with what you said in a team setting? There were at least 2 interviews. 2nd one was at their campus and multiple managers took turns interviewing you with a sheet that contains the same exact questions.

Claims Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual in May 2014.

Interview

Phone screening for about 10 minutes followed by an in person interview. I came in the next day for a final interview with director. Very quick hiring process. If they want you, you'll know it quickly. Everyone was very professional and the environment was very comfortable. They did not allow me to go back to see the workspace which was a little intimidating as I could not judge what the work environment would be.

Contact Center Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CUNA Mutual (Madison, WI) in April 2014.

Interview

About a 1 - 2 month process. Two phone interviews and one in person. If you're already licensed in Life and Health you will not need to show up for the first week of training and will have a higher base salary (A whopping $26,000). Offered the job on my way home from the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing a very difficult interview. It is a high turnover department, so they sift through a lot of employees.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Take it or leave it.