CUNY (City University of New York) Interview Questions

Updated Apr 29, 2015

2.5

IT Support Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CUNY (City University of New York).

Interview

I took the city exam, scored 100 points. About 100 us who scores 100 were called to interview for about 4 colleges. Each college was hire about 2 people. we were called based on the first letter of our last. I was interviewed by 3 people. One Hr special and 2 senior IT special.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions. Then i was called back for some basis it questions   Answer Question

Payroll Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CUNY (City University of New York).

Interview

Hiring process was short, not at all as what I had expected. Met with many people, some seemed familiar with the process, however, they didn't seem to know how to do the work itself.

Interview Questions

• It seemed the people interviewing were in experienced. I seem to know more about payroll then they did. I wonder if they train these people, as anyone can press a button to do payroll.   Answer Question

Don't they seem unprofessional and unorganized

Adjunct Professor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at CUNY (City University of New York).

Interview

I was hired after a brief group interview in 2009. They were in need of professors, but after the initial interview, I was able to teach every semester. Things have tightened since then.

Interview Questions

• "How do you deal with disruptive students?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

College Assistant/Helpdesk Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CUNY (City University of New York) (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

The process included two interviews of two supervisors, and then with an HR manager and an IT manager. Questions asked included: technical skills, personalities, availability, and experience. While technical skills questions were asked, the interviewers were more focused on personality and compatibility.

Interview Questions

• What would your process be in dealing with a difficult user ?   Answer Question

Higher Education Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CUNY (City University of New York).

Interview

CUNY looks for prior CUNY Experience first. Masters is the minimum requirement regardless of what is stated in job application. There is always a committee with staff and faculty members.

Interview Questions

• Questions are pretty basic. Tell us about yourself and how it relates to the position, what would you do in this student scenario, what would you do in this staff scenario, why cuny, what are your future goals, why you, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

if a salary range is posted, ALWAYS ask for the highest amount as the promotion process is almost non-existent.

College Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CUNY (City University of New York).

Interview

Got an call from an HR coord. was told to come in and this time and date and meeting with 2 staffs from HR. Interview was about an hour long, waiting time was long.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Volunteer Tax Preparer Interview

Interview

read the material from Baruch VITA, took an online exam, if passed, will be qualified for the weekend study program.
    have to attend weekend tax preparer program. Two weekends, saturdays and sundays. Then took a comprehensive exams. if passed, can be a tax preparer.

Interview Questions

• the comprehensive exam is very difficult, and it requires more than you needed for an ordinary tax situation.   Answer Question

Associate Professor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at CUNY (City University of New York).

Interview

Applied online. Two months later participated in phone interview. Within a week was invited to campus, which happened within the month. However, it took over 5 months for travel expenses to be reimbursed.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall any difficult questions. They were very typical questions about teaching style, dealing with difficult students, research priorities, potential external funding sources, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Definitely able to negotiate salary and small extras (extra release time, travel funds, etc.). People were friendly and approachable.

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at CUNY (City University of New York) (New York, NY).

Interview

Was fair, careful, but more basic given it was over 30 years ago. Focus was on teaching skill, philosophy, but fortunately the then chair emphasized reserach commitment and need to publish for tenure and promotion.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with difficult students.   1 Answer

Negotiation

there was none

Adjunct Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CUNY (City University of New York).

Interview

Interviews with different professors, make a class presentation about Chemistry, then went to a series of questions with the hiring committee.
    Questions about academic background and also about how to manage different academic situations with students.