Cabela's

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

2.5

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cabela's.

typical corporate interview process. nothing was out of the ordinary, but you never have a chance to shine, as it is all about how you look on paper to HR. I had a phone interview, personal interview with the store manager, and another phone interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • nothing out of the ordinary, several specific questions about marketing history.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cabela's.

Cabela's will call you up and do a pre-screening over the phone, and then they will pull you in for an interview. After the interview if the Manager really thinks you'll do well in the position... they will do a drug screening there on the spot with a mouth swab - if you are a wait and see, then you may not get a drug test on the spot & then you'll get called in for a drug test if you are the best candidate.

Interview Questions
    • • What is your definition of Superior Customer Service?   Answer Question
    • • Cabela’s owns its own bank and credit card the Cabela's Club Visa Card. A requirement of the job is to offer every customer that comes though the door an opportunity to sign up for this card. Are you willing to offer customers the Cabela’s Club Visa?   Answer Question
    • • Describe a time when you participated as part of a successful team. What was your role on the team?   Answer Question
    • • Explain a time when you were in a situation when the customer was upset. What did you do? How did you handle that customer?   Answer Question
    • • Tell me about a time when you delivered on commitments or service that met or exceed customer expectations. Be specific.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Hourly wage was clearly stated in the interview.

Asset Protection Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cabela's.

Multiple phone interviews as well as personal interview with Store Manager prior to job offer. Interviews were all professional and fairly detailed. There was consistent email communication throughout the interview and hiring process. The interview process overall spanned well over a month. Drug screen and background check were required prior to employment.

I did not negotiate.

Retail Outfitter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Missoula, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Missoula, MT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cabela's in March 2014.

Interviews held at the local Holiday Inn. You were sent an email confirming your interview and time once you completed the on-line application. Upon arrival you filled out job application paperwork and background info. Taken into a conference room sat down with a company rep and asked basic questions. Why Cabela's? Outdoor experience? Customer service disputes. Approx 20 people in the room doing the same thing at the same time. Told I would hear something in 4 weeks and walked to the lobby.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a your most difficult customer service dispute and how you resolved it?   Answer Question

Clothing Outfitter Interview

Simple interview, friendly staff. Interview proccess was long, but worth it. A very rewarding retail position

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cabela's in January 2014.

Boiler plate questions from sheet

Interview Questions
    none take it or leave it

Outfitter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Charleston, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Charleston, WV

I applied online – interviewed at Cabela's in December 2013.

I applied during the holiday season, so it took a little while for the company to respond. My interview went well, but I had to keep calling to try to get things finished. They let me know I needed a drug test and background check, and I immediately hurried to get those completed. Then after learning I passed them, it took about 3 or 4 weeks to find out I was going to be hired for sure. The interview was very laid back, but professional at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where a customer was angry with you and the steps you took to solve it...   Answer Question
    No negotiation and I still have no idea how much I'm getting paid

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cabela's.

Two phone interviews and 1 in person interview where you are interviewed by all levels of management

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain "x,y,z" in a way that anyone would understand?   Answer Question
    Tough to negotiate with unless you have multiple job offers

Retail Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Cabela's in October 2013.

After applying online for a Retail Marketing Manager position at a new store opening, I was contacted 3 weeks later by a recently hired General Manager. The preliminary call went well, however, when asking specific questions relating to the position, the GM only referred to the job posting. He even stopped to read each bullet point in the job requirements. This caused me to be slightly hesitant as the responsibilities did not seem consistent with the job summary.

Face-to-face interviews were held at a hotel conference room. After filling out paperwork, I met with two HR representatives. I was very disappointed to find that my interviewers relied on a packet of questions that were not specific to the job I had applied for. There was little to no conversational element to our interview. When I asked questions related to the marketing role, they admitted that they weren't very familiar with that area, who I would be working with, or who I would report to. I could tell they were weary from interviewing, but I expected to speak with someone familiar with the marketing operations at Cabela's. Because I felt confused about the unusual interview process, I asked what concerns they have about my qualifications. Not surprisingly, I was told that everything looked great, which felt like a brush off. I left with doubts as to how serious my interview was taken.

I was hesitant to write a review, but I sincerely hope that Cabela's makes significant improvements in their recruitment and hiring practices. After more than 2 months, I have not yet received an update on the hiring process, although I have called/emailed the General Manager to follow-up.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were boilerplate HR questions. Expect to answer questions about a "time when you had to make a decision against the group", or "how would you deal with an unhappy customer".   Answer Question

Department Lead Outfitter Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Cabela's.

Make sure you know how to provide excellent customer service, step up in roles that aren't necessarily yours, and know how to diffuse conflicts.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have any, it's pretty typical and reasonable questions for a lead position in retail   Answer Question
    There really isn't negotiation--just "you will start off at xx amount per hour"