Cabinet Office Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 3, 2015

4.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cabinet Office

Role In Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I was advised at a pre-interview that it was going to be very official, focused on the competencies and on me providing examples of what I did to meet the competencies. Turned out to be half official, half casual. Halfway through the HR person left due to ill-health. Due to their interviewers looking up to ask me the question but back to their laptops when I was speaking, meant it was hard to built up a rapport. I actually ended up doing the worst interview I ever did in my life. I felt like I was constantly repeating myself and only moving back and forward between the same two examples I had previously given, as for me the questions seemed to focus more on one area - procurement and process. It was a good learning experience as I need to also focus on thinking on my feet rather than simply relying on having prepared material. So from an learning experience it was valuable. I doubt I got the job but I wish the interviewers well in the search for their candidate and thanks for the lesson.

Interview Questions

• What process did you put in place to guarantee effective procurement outcome (i.e. value for money objective)   1 Answer

Band B2 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cabinet Office (London, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

It is long. You have to complete a competency based application where the structure of how you say something is very important along with what you actually say. When applications are being handled they are generally in job lots so to help get through the application form to an interview read the guidance and structure your answers. For the interview, again you have competency based questions. The question will be about a scenario but wanting a particular competency, you need to structure you answer as per the guidance. That's not to say of you don't structure the answer highlight the competencies needed you'll be sunk but it makes it easier for the people interviewing you to grade you against their criteria. My advice is rehearse the interview with a friend asking them to check you answer question highlighting the competencies in your example. The interviews tend to be in large recruitment rounds so anything you make easier for your interviewers help. The interview will be 3-4 people who are officials in the department.

Interview Questions

• We are now asking for competency X, please tell us a scenario when you have done Y demonstrating X   1 Answer

Negotiation

Long. There is poor communication between the recruitment team and the personnel team in Cabinet Office. Everyone is working on several different cases so will only deal with you when you are in their task list and to be worked on. So you will have long periods of not hearing anything. Negotiations wise for salary it is very limited what they can offer and only If you have evidence of a previous salary will they offer you a higher salary than the base level salary for the band. I was successful in the end but there was uncertainty and it took a while. The work is interesting and well worth it. But be prepared for for long periods of not hearing much.