Cabot Microelectronics

Updated Dec 25, 2014

3.3

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in April 2014.

I applied online and was asked for a phone interview less than a month later (I do not remember the exact amount of time). I had one phone interview with two employees (my eventual boss and mentor). It was entirely a behavioral interview with the usual behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would succeed in this role since you have no experience?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate

Summer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in March 2014.

The interview process included initial introduction and breif explanation of my interviewers jobs and the job I would be expected to fill. I then was asked to walk through my resume. Following a comprehensive summary of my experiences and leadership, the interviewers asked several behavioral based questions regarding the position and ended by asking if I had any questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was never asked to just walk through my resume without being probed by questions.   View Answer

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in April 2013.

At first, received a mail asking for a HR interview schedule. HR interview was basically about past projects, about relocation, salary, availability, etc.. and then I was recommended for technical interview where 4 members interviewed me over the phone. The interview was again a deeper dig into my projects, resume and the skills that I knew. I was denied an offer and I was told in the follow-up that another person's skills matched their needs better.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. All we have to do is to clearly explain about the projects that we did.   Answer Question

Intern -Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in March 2013.

The Recruiter mailed me about phone screen. It was a one on one talk . He seemed to be impressed. a week later I had a phone screen with the scientist . It lasted 20 min and the scientist wasa little bogged down with the complexity of my research ( He asked me tell me about the work you do?) Another question was why do youwant to intern with Cabot?

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in March 2013.

I had one phone interview with the Controls group, and a few weeks later they called me back and offered me a summer internship. the interview was fairly informal, mostly curious about my work history and my course work at school. They gave me a brief description of the job they wanted me to do and some information about the company. Overall is was pretty easy and not very rigorous; probably because I was the first intern within the department.

Interview Questions
    • They mainly asked me about my work history and experience with PLC's   View Answer
    There was no negotiation since it was a summer position and a relatively short duration.

Cost Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cabot Microelectronics.

Process starts with a phone screen and sometimes an intial interview in the office with one person. The final step is a panel interview with questions focused on situational experience asking for specific examples of how you acted in the given situation.

Interview Questions
    • Degree of difficulty depends on whether you have a good example to illustrate the situation. Questions mostly start with "Give an example of a time..."   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in February 2011.

You go through the initial online application. If you are qualified enough, you get a phone interview. It is a 2 (R&D Manager + HR Recruiter) on 1 phone interview; R&D Manager asks you technical questions that are relevant, mostly out of your resume and the HR person asks you some regular HR questions like, "Why are you interested in Cabot CMP?"

Once you get through that, you have an on-site interview. Usually a breakfast with an R&D manager. simple chit chat - to see if you are sane and interested in the company. Its an opportunity for them to know more about you as a person (no technical questions here). They just want to know you as a person here. 5 on 1 panel interview. 4 people form R&D (2 scientists, 1 senior researcher, 1 Commercialization Engineer, 1 HR). This lasts for up to 2.5 hours. They give you a few technical questions from your resume, then, its all behavioral questions. After this there is another interview over lunch where an HR Manager, HR Recruiter and a Sr. Scientist try to learn a little bit more about you as a candidate. They want to learn why you are really interested in the company and how much you know about it.

Overall a very POSITIVE EXPERIENCE. I was happy with the way the interviewees treated me; they were nice and the company had been kind to me. I wouldn't go by all the other negative feedback here on glassdoor.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you realized that a task was just not for you and you threw in the towel and looked for another task?   Answer Question
    • Did you ever have the foresight to prevent a problem early before it went out of control?   View Answer
    Harder to negotiate here for an entry level candidate. The industry has a lot of highly experienced and knowledgeable employees.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in May 2010.

Two people interviewed me through the phone in the same time. They were both very nice and seem to know their industry very well. They were looking for people to help with building a new CRM database,

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were mostly based out of my resume. They do require you to know how a B2B business works.It is a crucial part of their business   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in November 2009.

Initial phone interview with the hiring manager was fine. When I met him and two other managers for lunch to start the on-site interview, they began by treating me very rudely, turning their backs on me, talking among themselves and resisting my attempts to join the conversation. Eventually, the group warmed to me, but it was all my initiative. I had been asked to give a presentation to a small group, but I was surprised with a large group in an auditorium. This was followed by a panel interview. One member of the panel treated me with open scorn and disrespect throughout the interview, at one point interrupting me to shout angrily before he heard my answer. As an older female engineer, I wondered if I had merely been the "diversity" slate, included by HR against the engineering managers wishes.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you did a "quality" job on something.   View Answer

Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cabot Microelectronics in March 2010.

Behavioral interview most related to academics and past work experiece