Cactus Communications

3.1

Freelance Science Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cactus Communications in January 2015.

You submit an application, if you meet their qualifications, then you take an online test. If you pass the test, they send the contract materials for you to sign. Then you wait for an assignment; if you do well, they send you more on a first come first serve basis. If you don't do well, I assume they cancel your contract.

Did not negotiate; it's an hourly wage and I didn't get the feeling that negotiation was appropriate or useful.

Freelance Science Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cactus Communications.

I applied online with a cover letter and resume. I received an email that I'd been shortlisted the next day and was asked to take a 15-question editing test online. The test was timed and asked you to identify improperly written sentences, analyze paragraphs, and identify certain reference styles. I received an email offer for the position 2 days later. The company was very professional and prompt with questions via email, though I didn't feel my questions were always answered very thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • This process was quite easy. The most difficult thing was the editing test, which will not be difficult if you have strong English writing skills.   Answer Question

Freelance Specialist Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cactus Communications in July 2014.

I submitted an application on [Day 1] and was informed I had been "shortlisted". I was assigned two tests. I completed these editing tests (took about 3-4 hours) and submitted them to Cactus on [Day 3]. On [Day 13], their global talent acquisition leader informed me that my edits had value, and they wanted me to complete a test for a third subject area. I completed and submitted that exercise on [Day 13]. After submitting that exercise I received no confirmation, so I contacted them on [Day 20] to confirm my materials were received and determine if they had any questions. It has been more than two weeks since then and I have never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • The editing exercises included misspellings of the enzymes and organisms the authors were purporting to study.   Answer Question

Cactus Communications Response

Aug 11, 2014Managing Editor - Global Talent Acquisition

Hi,

I must admit that we've been inundated with an unprecedented number of applications in the past few weeks. This coupled with the fact that we've recently transitioned to a new job application
    ... More

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cactus Communications in May 2013.

First, I submitted a brief application online.

2 days later, they sent me a link to a more detailed online application form along with an attached editing exercise, a page of text that was full of errors - I was supposed to edit all that text and send it back as an attachment.

2 days after submitting the completed editing exercise, they sent an email acknowledging that they'd received it and that they'd reply "within a few days."

13 days later (that's what they meant by "within a few days") they finally replied and said that I did not get the job and that they were not going to provide any feedback.

The whole process took 17 days.

Sub-Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cactus Communications in October 2010.

Took the test on their website after which I got a call from HR. They called me for an interview. HR interviewed me first then introduced me to the team manager. I was given an editing test which was reviewed by the Team Manager. I was told what to look for and what i could have improved upon and was asked to re-edit it using suggested tips. After which I was given another test. After which I was interviewed by the another senior management person. I gt a call after a few days that I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was pretty simple. They just want you to be good at English and spotting errors.   Answer Question

Technical Editor-physical Sciences Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cactus Communications in June 2014.

-e-mailed by them on graduation
    -online assessment-round one
    -followed by a mail with an attached word file to edit and resend-round two
    -if selected,a call for inhouse editing test-with a linguistic discussion with the team mentor as a precursor-round 3
    -if selected,further PI

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cactus Communications in February 2013.

I had applied for a full time position via linkedin with my resume' and gave the online english language test on the company website. After being shortlisted, I was emailed 2 editing tests, which I had to submit the very next day. After they were satisfied with the results of my editing tests I was selected for an interview.
       The selection process was a mix of editing test and interviews. I was given feedback on my editing exercises that I had sent to them prior to the interview date.This feedback was very helpful to understand what was expected of me. I was given another editing test of about 500 words , after completing the test. I had to fill a personality questionnaire. When I cleared this editing test I had 3 interviews -one with the HR, second with the Managing editor and last with the Team head. This whole process of editing test and interviews took about 6-7 hours.
    I got an offer after on the third day after my interview.

Interview Questions
    • How will you handle your current role intuitively if I do not give you any KRA'S ie key responsibility areas?   Answer Question

Salary expectations not met