Cadence Design Systems Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.1

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Milpitas, CA).

Interview

Interviewed by five people on first visit, one person on second visit and then, on my third round of interviews at company headquarters, my day began with a breakfast interview at 7:00 AM and my last interview ended at dinner at approximately 8:00 PM. During the day, aside from the breakfast and dinner interviews, each interview lasted 30 minutes. I lost count of how many people I met that day. By the time they offered me the job, I had invested so much time interviewing with the company, I just couldn't justify turning it down. Dumb me; by the end of my second week with the company, I discovered that they had either withheld information, misrepresented facts, or lied about five different things. Had I only known....
    21 months later I was gone. Most political company I've ever worked for.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when...."   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

There are four interview sessions, each takes 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
    For the technical interview, you were given a set of prepared questions and coding example to do.

Interview and screening with the Hiring Manager (1 - 1)
    Interview with Product Engineering team (2 interviewers, panel format)
    Interview with team members/local (2 interviewers, panel).
    Interview with team members (overseas, panel format)

Interview Questions

• Fit and commitment to the position. Details technical questions related to the positions.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

short phone interview with simple questions on resume like how much do you know about PERL, verilog etc.
    confirmed for onsite interview immediately
    onsite : 3 rounds
    1st 45 min didn't involve any questions, just discussion about position
    2nd 1 hr heavily on PERL and my experience in scripting
    3rd 1.5 hrs on verilog, FSM, basic SystemVerilog and discussion about position
    2nd and 3rd round were mostly coding on white board.

The hiring manager was really nice. Although I could not get an offer, he was extremely helpful and offered me feedback about my interview and we are still in touch.

Interview Questions

• draw FSM for 4 bit counter with load, reset
      write verilog code for it
      perl regex questions

Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

Initial 2 hour phone interview when the manager was convinced and short listed me for an on-site.
    The on site interview was for 7 rounds one hour each.
    Was interviewed by the entire team one by one.
    Had to use a white board to sketch and explain concepts. Mostly revolved around my projects and also certain fundamental concepts were tested.

Interview Questions

• Covered entire Digital VLSI and RTL2GDSII flow, pseudo-codes, Power optimization, Physical Design, Timing Analysis, Perl, antenna effect.   Answer Question

Principal Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview Process took about 2 weeks.
    Had initial phone screen and was asked to visit Austin Office for face to face interview.
    Had 3 rounds of interview with verification and design team.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions revolved around my DDR controller verification effort and my previous project.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Received email to schedule phone interview. Scheduled the phone call for the same week. Phone call took about 20 minutes going through resume and answering basic coding concept questions. Got invite for on-site interview 2 weeks later. On-site interview is around 4 hours long starting with explanation of position and then the rest are technical questions. Interviews are 1 on 1, 30 minutes each and targets a different skill.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview:
      Explain inheritance.

On-site:
      Give expected output given C++ code that uses polymorphism.
      Find the errors and inefficiencies given C++ code.
      Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different data structures.
      Rewrite C code to take advantage of OOP.
      Explain how you would test for correctness given a goal problem and the code.

Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems in February 2015.

Interview

I was okay and need more experience. it was more technical with 6 rounds. HR called me one night before and created an interview schedule. The outcome of this interview was more technical.

Lead Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

The interview process was very fast. The whole process took about 2 weeks. Most of the questions were technical and related to physical design. The staff was friendly and easy going. The process started with the phone interview followed by 1:1 onsite interviews with hiring manager, staff AEs and sales managers. The hiring manager clearly explained the job duties and expectations.

Interview Questions

• There were couple of difficult questions about LVS and schematic driven layout.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because the offer was very reasonable. Recruiter negotiated with the hiring manager to get the best offer.

Member Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems.

Interview

After HR fixed an interview slot, the first round was fixed with my "would-be" team members, followed by my manager. Finally there was joining/salary discussion with the hiring HR manager. Questions were based on fundamentals and my previous work experience. The role was explained that sounded pretty exciting. Within,I think two weeks, the entire process was completed.

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cadence Design Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

i got a call from recruiter 3 days after i applied online. He arranged a telephonic round that lasted for 30-45 min. The interviewer asked me few questions on verilog, power consumption in mos circuits. After which he arranged the on site interview in next week with 5-6 people. Few questions on analog and digital design and related to my graduate projects were asked.