Caffè Nero

Updated Nov 15, 2014
Updated Nov 15, 2014

1.9

Barista, Shift Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caffè Nero.

Have the relevant experience, customer service, catering, bar work, cafe, restaurants etc.
    Hiring process starts as soon as we give you a call; how you sound on the phone, how long it takes for you to return a call. During the interview, are you on time, how you present yourself, posture, tone , attitude, everything matters.

non-negotiable

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caffè Nero.

I handed my CV into the shop and spoke to the assistant manager. I had an interview given to me within the next week and then went for the interview. There were very standard questions, nothing asked was unusual. I think within the next week I got a call saying that I had got the job. It was the easiest procedure that I had been through when applying for a job. I later found out that they were desperate for staff. The same process happened with new employees when I was working. We often took them on too quickly and found many faults with their working shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make a cappuccino where you work now? (they were all very standard questions)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caffè Nero in September 2013.

Handed the CV in one of the coffe shops and received a call from the store manager after two days asking for a personal interview for the next day. I accepted and the interview was very easy and like a friendly chat in the shop itself. Once we finished they asked me to do a one-hour trial shift. I did it and they said that they would call me "on Monday at 4pm". Still waiting.

Interview Questions
    • None. The same questions as usually. What do you know about Nero, answering some "difficult situations" you may find, experience, etc.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caffè Nero.

Handed in my CV in a store, was called in for an interview with the store manager who the referred me to the area manager. Both interviews were more like a friendly chat and I was then invited for an interview with the regional manager.

No negotiation

Shift Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torquay, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torquay, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caffè Nero in May 2012.

Informal phone interview followed by a face-to-face interview. Following that, a trial shift and 20 hours dedicated to training. A 3 month probationary period is described, and a barista in training red t shirt must be worn until a test is taken to become a fully qualified barista and are able to work shifts without shadowing another member of staff.

Interview Questions
    • Name a scenario where you have gone out of your way to help a member of the team?   Answer Question
    N/A

Maestro/Trainee Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northallerton, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northallerton, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Caffè Nero in February 2012.

I'd already been in as a customer so I knew the store manager. During my initial interview I felt very comfortable and happy, she then told me I would have a follow up interview with the Area Manager which went very smoothly. The hiring process at Caffe Nero is a lot less stressful compared to other companies and they make it feel like just a conversation rather than interrogation.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions during my interview as i felt relaxed and was quite easy to answer the questions asked as if genuinely having a coffee with a friend.   Answer Question
    There was no need to negotiate as they were very reasonable.

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Caffè Nero in January 2012.

I handed in my cv at the bar I was asked to come in on a specific day and we had the interview in the shop infront of customers

Shift Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caffè Nero in December 2011.

I just casually asked for current vacancies and had a quick chat with the manager at the time, he told me to drop in my CV later as they were indeed looking for people. A few days later he offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    The was no negotiation it was all very casual

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Caffè Nero in May 2011.

the interview was lovely, very informal. Fun, random questions to try and find out what kinda personality you may have! I got a phone call, went straight away and had a chat, it turned out THAT was the interview and then a few days later i was offered the job :)

Interview Questions
    • none. it was lovely, the job is pretty simple so they just wanted to know if I was lovely   Answer Question
    not much haha