CalPERS Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2014

2.7

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CalPERS.

Pretty standard and easy interview. You're given a moment to look over the interview questions. You will likely be asked about your ability to prioritize/manage assignments and strengths/weaknesses. Just be friendly and personable! I pretty sure I botched my interview by being overly eager and asking about advancement opportunities. Lesson learned!

Seasonal Clerk Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CalPERS in April 2014.

I applied for the position through current employee referral. It took me 2 weeks to receive a call to interview after online application. I was interviewed by two guys in CalPERS and they took turns to ask me many questions. As it's just a seasonal clerk position, most questions are behavior ones that I prepared.

Interview Questions
    • What do you learn about the differences between Actuarial Office and Investment Office?   Answer Question

Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at CalPERS.

After sending in my information, I received a call almost a month later. I went into a panel interview being conducted by three people and was given a list of the questions they were going to ask me. I was to look over them and then let them know I was ready to answer them.

It was was a strange interview. I was nervous because not one of the interviewers seemed to be interested in me at all. They would just ask a question let me respond, take quick notes, and ask the next question. Nothing more. Very formal and impersonal.

Actuarial Assistant Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at CalPERS in September 2011.

The people were nice and it seems like a nice place to work , but they seem to hire from within.

Actuarial Assistant Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at CalPERS in September 2011.

People are nice and the Questions are expected but I believe they tends to hire internally

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at CalPERS in August 2011.

Interviewed by two people. I was given a set of raw data and instructed to create charts and graphs with the data in excel and create a presentation in power point. Following this I was required to present the powerpoint to 2 panel interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to explain the data and how it relates to the organization as far as retirment and pension information. This is difficult to do when you are not an insider.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at CalPERS in March 2010.

The interview process was very laid back. Two people interviewed me at the same time, mostly asking questions about my resume and outside life. I did not prepare very well and thought that I came off a little nervous (probably did, but inside recommendation probably helped); however, I was offered the job after several weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I see that you like to coach, how can these skills be transferred to the office environment?   Answer Question

Investment Office Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CalPERS in January 2009.

I first had a phone interview where I was asked detailed technical questions about statistics, economics and my experience with programming languages. Next, I attended a 1:1 interview with my direct supervisor, which included a mathematics and programming test. I then attended a panel interview which consisted mainly of standard interview questions. No cases and no situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Find a general solution to the following differential equation: 2y^t + 18y = 6 tan(3t)   Answer Question
    • What was the last book you read?   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate. However, they started me at the highest possible pay level for an intern.

INTERN- Alternative Investments Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at CalPERS in September 2007.

1.) one on one 2.) several phone interview 3.) group interview they seem pretty nice. team consensus decision makers. seems like a great place to work but unfortunately i didnt get a offer. nonetheless no hard feelings on my part glad to had a chance. seems like a great place to learn.

Research Program Specialist I Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at CalPERS in February 2009.

I was going to essentially interview for my own job but it was a promotion. My manager was on the testing board and helped my pass. But right before I could interview the position was frozen. So I interviewed at a couple of other divisions whithin CalPERS but didn't get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project you were the lead analyst on.   Answer Question
    • What steps did you take to resolve a particular analytical problem?   Answer Question

Worked for CalPERS? Contribute to the Community!