Calamos Asset Management

Relevance Date Difficulty

Investment Consultant (Sales) Interview

Investment Consultant (Sales)
Naperville, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Calamos Asset Management in June 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen from HR recruiter consisted of cliched questions like: "tell me about yourself", "walk me through your resume", "why do you want to work for us?", "what are three desired characteristics of a great salesperson?"

In-person interview with VP of inside sales also included HR recruiter, and a intern (these two were mainly observing, and did not chime in with questions). VP peppered me with more cliched sales interview questions: "What do you know about me?" (was actually instructed to close my eyes and rattle off various "small-talk" topics based off of items in/around office), "Sell me a pen", "What are three characteristics of a successful salesperson", and "Give me an example of where you demonstrated high integrity."

After about 30 or so minutes of interviewing, I then shadowed one of their "top" producers. They had me walk through the basic functions of software used in the job, and I even listened in on a call to a customer (result was leaving a long-winded voice mail).

Lastly, I was to give a 5-10 minute presentation on a Mutual fund the company currently offers. Not only was this in front of the VP, but he invited about 15-20 people from the team to sit in, and listen (as well as critique after I had left the room) to my sales pitch .

Interview Question – Presenting the mutual fund in front of 15-20 people was not necessarily nerve racking, rather my ability (or perhaps inability) to "sell" or convey an effective presentation on a product that I had never sold in prior roles to an unflattering crowd.   Answer Question

Operations Administrator Interview

Operations Administrator
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Calamos Asset Management.

Interview Details – Hiring process was very straight forward. Applied through company website. Met with HR, senior staff members. Behavior interview questions.

Interview Question – What do you do outside of your work, family life? This was a bit out of the normal process.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all, I asked for a salary within a range. They gave me the number on the higher end of the range.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Calamos Asset Management in July 2010.

Interview Details – I had three interviews over the span of 2 weeks. The process was very painless and everyone involved with the three interviews were polite and respectful to a new college grad.

Interview Question – What are the last 5 books I read for fun.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable - take it or leave it.

IT Internship Interview

IT Internship

Interviewed at Calamos Asset Management

Interview Details – Applied online. They contacted me about a month later to schedule an in person interview. During the interview I first was greeted by an HR rep then sat in an conference room and waited to be interviewed by who I would imagine would be my first contact or boss for the duration of the internship. Very nice people, basic behavioral questions such as how to deal with problems, what you do in your free time, ever deal with irate customers.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult problem I ever had to solve.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Calamos Asset Management in September 2012.

Interview Details – Multiple steps process..seems like everyone is afraid the top management.Very inflexible organization..also add a little show off

Interview Question – Nothing super tough,common interview questions,accounting related,about the equity market,etc..   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Calamos Asset Management in December 2012.

Interview Details – The HR staff was professional and helpful. The team I interviewed with was considerably more difficult and in fact I should have trusted by instincts

Interview Question – The CIO asked me how I would design a specific form and workflow   View Answer

Negotiation Details – fine

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Calamos Asset Management

Interview Details – Contacted me and held a phone interview. Notified me a few weeks later that I had a campus visit with interviews. A few weeks later they sent me an offer.

Interview Question – Pretty basic behavioral   Answer Question

Weath Management Analyst Interview

Weath Management Analyst
Naperville, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Calamos Asset Management in May 2013.

Interview Details – Was largely behavioral. Focused on communication skills, ability to be personable, yet drive home details on how a portfolio based on risk posturing is affected by current market conditions.

Interview Question – How do you see the market playing out over 15 years, how will that affect the debt-equity shift in a retirement portfolio?   Answer Question

Junior Analyst Interview

Junior Analyst
Naperville, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Calamos Asset Management in November 2012.

Interview Details – Be prepared for a lengthy process.

Previously had interacted with Calamos investment consultants and one of their employees thought I would be a good fit for the position so forwarded my resume to HR. Took almost two months for their "talent acquisition" manager to reach out to me. At that time there was an initial phone screen and a personality test administered. HR was not prepared for the phone screen and asked me details that he could of easily gathered from reading my resume.

It was then six weeks before I was contacted and ask to come in for the first initial in-person interview. At that time I was asked to submit a written employment application (even though I had filled out the online application!) when reporting to the office. My interview was scheduled for early afternoon, HR showed up more than a half hour late for the interview as he wasn't even in the office when I showed up at the scheduled time. Met with their "talent acquisition" manager and was asked the same questions I was in the phone screen.

I met with one of their research managers who is responsible for managing the junior analysts at Calamos. Discussion lasted about an hour and consisted of questions about my previous experience. I was also asked to pitch a stock and I pitched several ideas to demonstrate my qualifications. Manager told me I was more than qualified for the position.

Took them almost two weeks to decide to pursue a second round interview to meet with members of the investment team. I was asked again to bring a written employment application (good job HR losing the previous one). I met with the other research manager responsible for junior analysts and two members of the senior investment team. I was suppose to meet with one of their CIOs but I was informed upon arrival that he was not in the office, it was rather apparent that no one bothered to check his schedule.

I was asked all sorts of questions ranging from why Calamos, pitching stocks, general investment knowledge, brain teasers and overall views on the market. Discussion lasted longer than initially planned for and I was told by a senior investment professional upon leaving that HR would be in touch about scheduling a 3rd round in person interview to meet with more investment professionals including both CIOs

Weeks go by and I followed up with HR on a weekly basis. Never answered my phone or email correspondence in a timely manner often taking multiple days to respond. Told me multiple times that the investment committee was reviewing multiple candidates and their process was taking longer than normal. Lead me on to believe that they were so serious about their selection process so much that I forgo a competing offer in California (I am based in Chicago so this was part of my decision making). Finally got in touch with HR and he responded O I meant to call you two weeks ago, we've decided not to pursue junior analysts at this time as we believe the firm needs more senior and seasoned analysts. This is five months later from the initial contact I had with a Calamos professional.

I asked HR if I could provide references to back up my qualifications and demonstrate I was in fact a seasoned investment professional (keep in mind I have multiple years of experience and have made substantial progress towards my CFA). Was told at a later date that they reached out to my references by their "talent acquisition" manager and that they did not feel it changed their hiring needs. Truth is they never bothered to call a single reference (my references were both at my firm and brokers on the sell-side who clearly knew my work ethic).

Interview Question – Unexpected: If you weren't pursuing a career in investments, what job/career would you be pursuing and why?   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Senior Developer
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Calamos Asset Management in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called by HR for an initial interview. A few days after I was called to a face-to-face interview which took about 2 and a half hours. It started with HR for half an hour, then I met with the project manager and her boss for an hour, then I met with 2 developers and had some easy coding and sql tests.

Interview Question – I was asked to do a join between multiple tables but don't remember exactly the question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered initially an amount which was lower than glassdoor had listed for the same position at their company. After negotiations they met my request (5% more than they initially offered). Also they were ok to give me more vacation than the company policy because I had more at my previous work.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Calamos Asset Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Calamos Asset Management interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Calamos Asset Management employees and interview candidates.