California Bureau of State Audits

2 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Auditor Evaluator I Interview

Auditor Evaluator I

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at California Bureau of State Audits.

Interview Details – First contact was for a phone exam. An audit Principal and Senior asked certain questions regarding accounting and auditing.

Second contact, upon the successful phone exam is a written test. Two essays with a time limit regarding how one would proceed with a certain audit.

If successful with the written examination, the third contact is an interview with an audit Senior and Principal, and then an audit Deputy.

Interview Question – Where would you find potential fraud in a balance sheet? (Open ended)   Answer Question

Auditor Evaluator Interview

Auditor Evaluator
Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at California Bureau of State Audits in November 2011.

Interview Details – Very pain free process for a Govt process. No experience necessary. All you need was a degree in Accounting, Econ, Biz, JD or MBA/MPA

Met with recruiter at school Job Fair. Filled out online application, which was about 2 pages long. Uploaded resume. Recruiter gave me an overview of the steps.

I was contacted for a 2 person panel interview. I was given an option not to drive to Sac and conduct a 1hr long conf call. They gave me 10 mins to look at the questions then another 40 mins to answer the. 8 questions total. Simple "how would you handle a difficult person at work" to "explain what steps you would take to gather information regarding a certain audit project". Interview was mainly focused on how you dealt with people and how resourceful you were. I suggest you read some of the publications. Each answer was given a score. I scored 95%. Min of 70% was required to move to the next round. I made it to the next round.

Next round was a 2 hour writing sample. Writing sample is required as auditors spend alot of time writing reports. You log in to their site and receive their scenario. You basically have to write a guide on how to perform an audit. Information you would need and how you would retrieve it. Read their publications to get an idea of how things are written. Sorry, I cant post the scenario, NDA. I was a tad late (2hr time window) due to some computer trouble. I contacted their office and they assured me it was fine. Very nice people. I was told I would be notified in 2 weeks regarding my next step.

4 weeks later I received a letter saying I passed writing and more than qualify, but they decided to go with someone with a different background for the last round. I guess they have enough MBA's applying.

Overall fairly positive. Tad on the slow side since it was the holidays for the last step.

Interview Question – Dean wants to close school bookstore. How do you determine if a bookstore is efficient and effective? Who will be affected.   Answer Question

Worked for California Bureau of State Audits? Contribute to the Community!