California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.9

Accounting Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Interview

After I sent my application by mail, I received a letter with an interview date and details for a week later. When I arrived, I received a packet of papers to fill out. Most were basic forms pertaining to references/address/social security and criminal history background information. The last page of the packet was an essay style question to test writing skills and knowledge on internal controls. I believe you are suppose to have a set amount of time to do this packet, but they were running behind so I basically had as much time as I wanted. After that, you go into a room with a computer and do a timed excel/word activity. After that, i met with a panel of three people. There I was asked some behavioral questions and also to define abatement and reimbursement.

Interview Questions

• Define abatement, reimbursement and internal controls.   Answer Question

Staff Service Analyst Interview

Interview

When the state has an opening, they need to fill it FAST. I got a call Friday afternoon asking for an interview Monday morning. I went in and they were way behind schedule, about an hour late. They sat me at a desk and gave me a sheet of the interview questions - about 20 of them, and very in depth. Glad I had that hour to really prepare my answers. It was specific to the job - asking about previous coordinating experience, how do you deal with bad coworkers, etc. Not too bad, just have a ton of concrete examples to talk about. They don't want abstract "I'm a hard worker" but rather "Last week when 3 of my coworkers called in sick I jumped on and helped our unit stay on track." I went into the interview, which was 2 people (a 3rd was supposed to be there, but the doctor was too busy). They asked me all the questions, and it lasted about half an hour. Then they lead me to a desk with a computer and gave me a sheet of paper. They told me to follow the directions on the paper, and I had half an hour. This is called an "inbox exercise" and it's fairly common with CCHCS.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us, about a situation in which you had to plan a large project?"   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I applied for the job in April. I was called for an interview in November. I was hired in January. I was interviewed by the Senior Librarian, the SAI and the SCEP. Only the Senior Librarian knows about the job; the other two are former teachers. The interview was standard; no surprises. However, the job consist of less librarian tasks and more custody tasks, and this was not brought to my attention at the time of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work in a library that is, technologically speaking, significantly behind current library standards, ?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The government has a predetermined salary schedule. They start you at the first step, regardless of your experience.

Accountant I - Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (Paso Robles, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

The hiring process consist of self evaluation exam done online and a panel interview. State Application forms should be sent to the hiring and planning personnel in the headquarters (at my time, but after a year, the state application forms should now be mailed to the regional offices or facilities). An offer for panel screening to the most desirable applicants. The panel interview is a series of questions that test the the applicants if they have knowledge or idea about the office operations.

Interview Questions

• Since I am applying for AP specialist, they ask me about the accounts payable cycle. The question or query is "describe the AP cycle".   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer is subject to budget cuts and hiring freeze, you may consider waiting for a month of two months prior to making final decisions on leaving your current employer or moving into this job.

Correctional Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Interview

Test and experience based

Interview Questions

• How would you fix this problem that has been ongiing for years?   1 Answer

Location

Correctional Officer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Short on-line questionnaire followed by a written examination, physical fitness examination, medical examination, written psychological examination, in person psychological interview, and a background examination.

Interview Questions

• Expect interesting questions during the psychological testing phase.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable terms.

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation in June 2010.

Interview

Wait long times for interview, past your scheduled time. Interview room was cold and unwelcoming. Just a trailer with a table and a few chairs. 3-4 supervisor staff conducting interviews.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you get a call that an inmate has jumped off the 3rd tier?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salaries are set by the State.

Accounting Officer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (Stockton, CA) in May 2008.

Interview

Upon interview arrival, received list of interview questions to prepare for. Given 10-15 minutes to prepare and was interviewed by two supervisors.

Interview Questions

• What is the definition of abatement, ledger, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No salary negotiation as this is state service employment.

Dentist Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation in January 2011.

Interview

2 on 1 interview for an hour. Basic behavioral interview.

Correctional Sergeant Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation in June 2009.

Interview

All interviews for promotions are basically the same. You are sitting in front of a panel that usually consists of Captains and Lieutenants. For the position of Sergeant you are asked about alarm response, sexual harassment and paperwork common to the department. The questions will mainly consist of scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Describe for us the Use of Force policy of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Work at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation? Share Your Experiences

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation