California Department of Health Services

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Services Analyst (General) Interview

Staff Services Analyst (General)
Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at California Department of Health Services in January 2014.

Interview Details – This was for a bilingual position, so remove that part if you are looking for general SSA interview help. The first 3 questions were in English:
1: what skills/experience do you have that would qualify you for this position?
2: what analytical experience do you have?
3: discuss a time when you had to meet multiple deadlines.

You must arrive early to find parking and to wait for a chaperone to take you upstairs. This person was from the division, so be friendly. Bring all your possible documents and follow their lead on level of eye contact. I was sat in a corner and told to write down my references and wait. Then, I was taken to a conference room where 3 interviewers sat. I was given a group of friendly interviewers who were fairly low on eye contact, which worked well for me. I answered the 4 questions and was then asked if I had any for them. Then, I was taken to a computer at an empty desk and given a small binder. I was set up on microsoft Word and told that I would have 20 minutes to read the instructions and create a case memo. I was nervous and shaking, but I had time leftover to re-read the instructions and my memo. I had first misread the instructions and so my free time allowed me to catch that and edit my memo, accordingly. The very next day, all of my references were contacted around 4pm. After all my references were complete (2 days later), I received a phone call saying that they wanted to extend an offer to me and asked whether I would accept. Then, I was told to stop by the Dept to sign a legal/work document, which was a 15 minute total visit. I was handed a letter stating there was an offer extended to me and that I should expect to start in a month-ish. As of now, I am still in that waiting period.

Interview Question – I was asked to go over my qualifications for the position in Spanish.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I still don't know what my salary will be, because I was told there is a small increase for being a bilingual position. Assume the minimum SSA pay as posted on the job bulletin

Very Easy Interview

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at California Department of Health Services in August 2009.

Interview Details – I submitted my application to the agency, received a call and came in for the interview; I was a tad on edge because I was interviewing in secret after loosing a Branch Chief, her advice to me before she left was to get out of the Secretarial field because I was wasting my talents and move up through the supervisory level. Working for Health Services was indeed the best job under the best manager I have ever had. He provide more advice that I ever thought I would get from a Manager. Another person I ran into told me about another position, after learning that my was going to be eliminated. The position was on the chopping block a year and a half later, but thanks to my experience I got an even better position in the analytical series.

Interview Questions

• This agency manages 100s of health care programs for the State of California, we make sure that when people go for services that their information is updated and in the system allowing them to receive what ever program they are enrolled in; how experienced are you in health care programs and which ones have you actually worked in?   View Answer
  • This position has you working for the Manager or his staff, supervising program staff, training, and will require you to hire to fill empty positions within the next few weeks. Can you explain your experience supervising staff, training staff, or selected candidates to fill empty positions?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Luckily, in state government their are steps for the positions, your come in on the first tier unless you have the skills for the second tier, which usually I always do so starting with a salary level of 5% more than was anticipated is always nice, but your level of responsibility also jumps up. For state government today, the secret is the more in education you have even ifs only two or three classes puts you in a reasonable level of income; its not what you might get in the private sector, but its catching up. My plan has always to continue with my education no matter how long it took because it offered me a well rounded package in perks with any employer., i.e., free health care, dental and eye care; retirement; for which I took in exchange for a higher salary a lot of times. Today, I am thankful that I did because I have after 30 years life time health, dental, and eye care with VSP and Delta, and good health care with U.C. Davis. Today, I am not really sure how the benefit packages are for others, but I was a returning state employee after five years off to start a business. The benefit packages are being adjusted due to the economy today for "new" employees, so I cannot really say what will be offered in Sacramento, but it is still a good package in the long run when there are so many without health, dental and eye care.

Very Difficult Interview

Physician Interview

Physician
Norwalk, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at California Department of Health Services in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was told about the position as I was contemplating exiting the California Dept of Corrections and Rehabilitation. I called the Metropolitan State Hospital, a California Department of Mental Health facility, and was told to fill out an online form, then print and send it to the hospital directly. I was offered an interview after about 2 months, and it consisted of filling out some additional forms (related to background check), and also a 1/2 hour panel interview.

Interview Question – What happened that I quit my high paying previous state job   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for California Department of Health Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at California Department of Health Services interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by California Department of Health Services employees and interview candidates.