California Department of Public Health

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.3

Epidemiology Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at California Department of Public Health in September 2014.

In the conference room, there are 5 people interviewed me. 3 were from CaREDIE, and 2 were from CDPH. They have a total of 15 questions to ask me, and they wrote down my answers right next to each question. Most of the time, they listened to me and took notes. The whole interview process took us about 45 minutes. All the questions are general questions. They wan to know how your skills are related to their position; why do you think you are the best candidate; how do you manage a project, if you have limited resources to complete a project with a hard deadline;. if you have resources with a soft deadline, how do you accomplish your project; if your supervisor is unavailable and you encountered some uncertainties with the project, what would you do; explain your experience in data management and data mining; explain your experience in geographic information; besides STATA, what kind of analytic software you use.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any experience in the following disease surveillance database (the name of the databases).   View Answer

Volunteer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at California Department of Public Health.

Very casual interview process in which they will ask you a few questions to get to know you, and then they will inform you about what to expect as a volunteer.

Office Technician Interview

There was a panel interview with two interviewers. They asked the typical interview questions and there was a written tes/quiz at the end with questions related to the job. Overall not a bad experience.

Deputy Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 10 months - interviewed at California Department of Public Health.

This was a rigorous, thorough, and multi-step interview process that was vetted every step of the way, and took nearly a year, from application, to conclusion/offer. The interview process was very timed and very structured, at the same time, very original, inspiring and thought-provoking. I was impressed by the innovative interview process ... one with external stakeholders/experts, and another with internal stakeholders/decision makers.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a complex resolution with a stakeholder, particularly one that was in conflict with the organization's position?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at California Department of Public Health in August 2011.

General questions about your resume. Focus on what you have done in your academic studies and past research work. Know your technical skills and abilities well. (Be able to explain clearly and especially how you derived those skills and abilities through your academics and past research.)

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me, in detail, with all the specifics and calculations of how you used [so-and-so machine mentioned on resume or cover letter]?   Answer Question

Associate Accounting Analyst/Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

My branch cheif asked me to apply for the job opening. The position was a step above my current position at the time and the majority of the workload was the same. I had one interview with two managers and the interview consited of the standard five state interview questions that are asked of every candidate.

Nothing.

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at California Department of Public Health in February 2010.

I sent out my SSA application and they called me back asking for an interview. The department e-mailed me the duty statement so I could look it over before the actual interview. When I got there (there is no parking by the way...so be prepared to walk a few blocks or pay) I had to wait in the lobby while the security guard called upstairs to let them know I was here. I went up to the office, and while I waited...I was given a job duty statement again to look over and a form to fill out regarding my last three previous supervisors.

I was interviewed by two managers, one man & one woman. They asked me questions about my knowledge of certain database programs and technical experience regarding the position. As I answered the questions, they had a list of of things to checkmark and were furiously writing down comments as well as rating me. It was a little uncomfortable that they were rating me in front of me...they informed me that they were hiring for three people, and that they would know a decision in two weeks.

I thought the interview was okay. It wasn't great but not extremely bad either....I did not get a job offer nor did I get a call/letter to let me know that I was not chosen. This was my first state interview...and it was somewhat different from what I expected. I did not expect to be interviewing with TWO people at one time, nor for their answers to my questions. I asked them about certain software programs that I had experience with and they replied with "that sounds very sophisticated, here at the state, we don't have sophisticated software like the private sector like where you work."

All in all, I think the interview process was okay...watch out for questions about Access. You will have to brush up on database software if you don't know it.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any experience with database software such as Access?   Answer Question

Worked for California Department of Public Health? Contribute to the Community!