California Employment Development Department
www.edd.ca.gov Sacramento, CA 5000+ Employees

California Employment Development Department Employment Program Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Mar 15, 2014

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at California Employment Development Department in March 2014.

Interview Details – At the beginning of the interview I was assisted by a proctor that brought me inside a desk area that had a computer, a phone, a pen, and a notepad. I was given 10 minutes to answer 15 multiple choice questions. Another 10 minutes to go over a script and role play on the telephone with a branch manager. Another 20 minutes to write a 1 page essay on a agree or disagree scenario. After that was completed I met with a panel of three managers in a conference room and began the face to face interview.

Interview Question – I found the unexpected telephone call to be difficult for me because I was not prepared for it. I was nervous to be tested on my telephone conversation skills.   Answer Question

Employment Program Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at California Employment Development Department.

Interview Details – Answer questions on test on state website, wait for job interest form in the mail, send in state application to the office where you'd like to work, wait for interview. Interview is super simple, answer standard questions, write 1 page essay.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Employment Development Department in March 2013.

Interview Details – The first thing I did was take a test in order to determine my standing on a list for interview. The test is basically just a skills inventory. The test is accessed on the "Bulletin" section of the job posting at jobs.ca.gov. Then I sent out a number of applications based on the "vacancies" available on the website. One office called me in for interview roughly a week after the closing date of that job posting. I was given a panel interview. They had the interview questions written on pieces of paper and they also asked me those same questions. There were three questions; some of them were fairly straight forward. My sense of humor ended up being an important factor in selection because not only were they looking for someone that could perform the job, they wanted someone who would fit in with company culture. There was no second interview, they called me the next week and made an offer.

Interview Question – What would you do if you had a customer that spoke a language you didn't understand   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Limited. You start out with a base salary and there is no room for negotiation from what I uderstood.

Anaheim, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at California Employment Development Department in March 2010.

Interview Details – First, did an online aptitude test. Second, applied for the job by filling in a form. Third, went to office for some skill tests, then followed by interview, and foreign language testing. The interview was conducted by 2 persons, reading out a list of 6 interview questions, and answered one by one

Interview Question – Why do you apply for this job?   Answer Question

Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at California Employment Development Department in August 2009.

Interview Details – Before you can apply for the position, you need to take the test that is posted online on the personnel board's website. After you take the test, you should watch for postings and send in your application. I was called on Wednesday for an interview on Saturday. There is no flexibility for dates and times for interviews. If you are not available, you miss out. There were about 15-20 people at the interview. We were asked to sit in front of a computer in a training room.
First, they collect your references, an enlarged copy of your driver license, and a list of locations that you are willing to work. Next, you are given 10 minutes to complete a skills test. The test is very basic. For example, if you have 10% withdrawn in taxes from your unemployment award and how much will your payment be? They also ask you to identify facts versus opinions. There are about 5 quesitons. Next, you are given a paragraph describing a sample unemployment claim situation. You have 20 minutes to type an explanation about whether you think the person will be approved or denied and why.
At this point, everyone was asked to sit in the breakroom, while we were called 3 at a time to complete a role play phone call. You are given a script and asked to type the claimant's responses into a word document. You collect basic information, name, company name, etc. When you ask for the social security number the person on the phone will tell you that they don't want to give it to you and you need to reassure them that it's confidential. Later, you ask the occupation, and they reply, "I worked in the financial industry." You need to ask for their specific occupation. At the end they say they quit because they were unhappy. You should ask why they were unhappy.
The last step is a panel interview. They have the questions written out, so that you can follow along as they ask the questions. You are asked why you want to work for EDD, customer service, multi-taking, prioritizing and about keeping an upbeat attitude.
They also tell you that you are only paid 1 time a month. Your salary is reduced by about 15%, but you are not allowed to use any furlough days until the workload is smaller.

Interview Questions

• This position requires talking on the phone and dealing with difficult people. What qualities or experience do you bring that would make you successful in this type of environment.   Answer Question
  • Give some examples about you keeping a great attitude.   Answer Question
  • If you have multiple tasks that must be completed, how do you complete everything?   Answer Question
  • What is excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at California Employment Development Department in May 2009.

Interview Details – To get an interview, you first have to apply online at the California State web site and look for EDD positions. With unemployment reaching record levels, they are looking for more rep/trainees. If you get a sufficent score, then they might contact you first by a letter. I had only 1 day to respond to the letter, so have all your personal information ready, plus a college transcript/ and/or degree copy if applicable.

At the interview, be ready for a basic written test, which consists of basic math and logic questions. Next, you'll have 5 minutes to type a hypothetical answer where you determine if an employee that was routinely late to work, and then got fired; would then be eligible to receive benefits or not.

Next, you'll be placed in a a room with a phone, and a senior worker will call you and role-play as if he/her were applying for benefits over the phone.

Finally, be ready to have 3 work references at the ready, and go through a Group panel were 3 supervisor/managers of EDD centers will grill you on your work experience. They will question you on any employment gaps/lay/offs, so be ready to explain them. Questions will likely include 1) how you can handle a difficult caller; 2) How strong are your computer skills, and 3) How will you apply the rules/laws/regulations to unemployment. applicants.

Interview Questions

• [Explain all your employment gaps, as they will check all time since you graduated from college or equivalent.]   View Answer
  • How would you handle an irate, very diffucult caller/applicant?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at California Employment Development Department

Worked for California Employment Development Department? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at California Employment Development Department Employment Program Representative interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by California Employment Development Department employees and interview candidates.