California Employment Development Department

Updated Nov 29, 2014
Updated Nov 29, 2014

3.1

Employment Program Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at California Employment Development Department in November 2014.

First I was given an assignment to compose an ad about upcoming workshop. Then it was a panel interview. Questions: why do you think you are a match? tell a situation when you provided excellent customer service to a diversity group, what tools and strategies will you use providing WIA services?

Interview Questions
    • what tools and strategies will you use providing WIA services?   Answer Question

Disability Insurance Program Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at California Employment Development Department.

Panel interview, includes small exam, Questions are based on experience. You will be asked alot of questions where you have to describe a time when you dealt with an upset customer and how you priortize your duties

Employment Program Representative Interview

Very lengthy and diverse 1 day process. Quick 10 minute basic math test, followed by a phone script that must be typed out with a manager. Then you read a scenario and have about 20 minutes to type out a response and decide whether the person qualifies for unemployment. Lastly is the face to face interview with two managers.

No Negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at California Employment Development Department in May 2014.

Very Critical in process, includes written and oral examinations. I was a bit nervous because unexpected the process way of the interview. Aside from the online examination you still have to undergo examination process in person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at California Employment Development Department in March 2014.

The interview process consisted of a computer test using a script and to see how quick and detailed you are getting the right information from callers. Then there is a mock call exercise over the phone and they give you a script. One the answer is to throw you off by refusing to provide a social security number. You just have to explain to the caller you need the information in order to process their claim. The last part of the interview is the traditional oral interview. The office atmosphere was laid back but don’t let that fool you still keep your demeanor professional during the interview and even when you are in a waiting room for the next process keep everything professional you never know who is watching.

Interview Questions
    • What research I did for the position. I didn't want to mentioned I got the information at Glassdoor, I didn't know if they would frown upon that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at California Employment Development Department in March 2014.

At the beginning of the interview I was assisted by a proctor that brought me inside a desk area that had a computer, a phone, a pen, and a notepad. I was given 10 minutes to answer 15 multiple choice questions. Another 10 minutes to go over a script and role play on the telephone with a branch manager. Another 20 minutes to write a 1 page essay on a agree or disagree scenario. After that was completed I met with a panel of three managers in a conference room and began the face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • I found the unexpected telephone call to be difficult for me because I was not prepared for it. I was nervous to be tested on my telephone conversation skills.   Answer Question

CalVet Representative Interview

Phone and face to face interviews

Employment Program Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at California Employment Development Department.

Answer questions on test on state website, wait for job interest form in the mail, send in state application to the office where you'd like to work, wait for interview. Interview is super simple, answer standard questions, write 1 page essay.

no negotiation

Tax Auditor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at California Employment Development Department.

Received a voice message from the manager. Returned the call and spoke to one of the supervisors. Set-up an appointment for the following week. There was only one interview and they asked 5-6 situation based questions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were fairly standard. What do you know about the Employment Development Department? Describe a situation where you've had a deal with a disagreement.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at California Employment Development Department in March 2013.

The first thing I did was take a test in order to determine my standing on a list for interview. The test is basically just a skills inventory. The test is accessed on the "Bulletin" section of the job posting at jobs.ca.gov. Then I sent out a number of applications based on the "vacancies" available on the website. One office called me in for interview roughly a week after the closing date of that job posting. I was given a panel interview. They had the interview questions written on pieces of paper and they also asked me those same questions. There were three questions; some of them were fairly straight forward. My sense of humor ended up being an important factor in selection because not only were they looking for someone that could perform the job, they wanted someone who would fit in with company culture. There was no second interview, they called me the next week and made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had a customer that spoke a language you didn't understand   Answer Question
    Limited. You start out with a base salary and there is no room for negotiation from what I uderstood.