California LAO

2 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Sacramento, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at California LAO in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted initially via email to schedule a phone screening interview three weeks after submitting my application. I then invited to Sacramento for the 2nd round about a week or two later. LAO covered my travel expenses. That interview was scheduled to last 5.5 hours. It consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews, lunch with a junior analyst, and a written portion. Each interviewer in the one-on-one interviews had a different approach to asking questions, so it wasn't as redundant at it could have been. I believe they usually do a panel interview, instead of the 4th one-on-one. Useful prep for the interview would include the usual research about the LAO and some time thinking about current policy issues in the state.

Everyone I spoke with was nice, and it was helpful to have a more casual conversation with a newer analyst to learn more about the office culture.

They let me know their hiring decision later the same week. I appreciated their promptness.

Interview Question – What do you think are the four most pressing policy issues facing California today?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

General Fiscal and Policy Analyst Interview

Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at California LAO in October 2010.

Interview Details – First round interview is a fairly basic phone screen. Questions are asked on background, interest in the office, and quantitative skills/examples of your experiences with them.

Second round interview consists of three 1:1 interviews with senior analysts, a panel interview with two additional analysts, and a written assessment that consists of a very basic Excel spreadsheet exercise. Lunch is also provided at a local restaurant and serves as an opportunity to ask questions of an analyst, but is not considered part of the interview. The entire process takes approximately 5-5.5 hours.

Questions asked in the second round interview were fairly straightforward, with content ranging from inquiries about quantitative experience, motivation to work in the office, opinions on state policies, and a chance to explain your qualifications in more detail. Be prepared to answer the same questions multiple times throughout the day.

The staff was fairly friendly and I was given a response within two weeks. My only complaint would be that the office gave a rather generalist description of the desired candidate (who isn't looking for quantitative skills couple with excellent communication skills?) and made it difficult to focus responses in a way that "sold" myself as a candidate.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for LAO?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for California LAO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at California LAO interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by California LAO employees and interview candidates.