California Pacific Medical Center

Updated Aug 17, 2014

2.7

Lab Assistant II (Grossing Technologist) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center.

I applied online via the CPMC website for a Lab Assistant II position. When I got called by the pathology supervisor (Jolene Lushine), she advised me that the job was actually a Grossing Technologist position. Although this constitutes false advertising, the grossing tech job was actually more in line with my current skill set. After a very pleasant phone call from the pathology supervisor, I was called in for an interview 3 days later. The interview went GREAT: the chemistry was all there between myself, the pathology supervisor, the lab manager, and my future co-workers (Pathology Assistants). After the successful interview, I was then told that they would come to a formal decision the next day (Tuesday)and that I would be notified by HR on Thursday. I was the very last person to be interviewed for this position, by the way. So Thursday came and went with no notification from HR. I called them on Friday and left a message, and I sent an e-mail as well. Still nothing. I then emailed the pathology supervisor. She responded back with, "Have you heard back from HR yet?" Now, with an email like that, any reasonable person would believe that I actually got the job, but HR is just lagging behind.

So Monday rolls around and I email HR again. They called me back within 20 minutes and told me that I didn't get the job. Specifically, they said that they found someone "with better qualifications." When I asked them what kind of qualifications they were looking for so that I can improve myself, they refused to give me a direct answer. They just repeated the "better qualifications" excuse. I was extremely perturbed. The job requirements just listed a high school diploma with at least one year of clinical lab experience. I exceeded those requirements with a college degree and 4 years of clinical lab experience, so how could they find someone with "better qualifications"? Doesn't make any sense. On top of that, a week later, I saw the same job posted AGAIN on Indeed.com. I took screenshots of it to have as proof, and I have it printed out as documented evidence. What's up with that??? Something is very fishy here, and I do not recommend working for this medical organization at all. Their behavior in the hiring process actually constitutes grounds for a civil action, and that option is currently under heavy consideration.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center in July 2014.

Applied online, I didn't know anyone, so no networking. I got a call 2 days later from the department manager, interview was 4 days later, offered a job 2 days later. Loved the floor, seemed well organized.

No negotiation

OP PT Coordinator Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center in January 2014.

No interview as of yes. I'm only contracted.

Physical Therapist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center.

1 phone screen, 1 informational phone call and an in person interview with 2 managers & a PT. The process seemed unorganized - poor directions given, the support staff didn't know a PT department existed, the PT supervisor was difficult to get a hold of & response was slow.

Interview Questions
    • The lack of behavioral questions was unexpected. All the questions were case based with specific, detailed questions on lab values, initial evals, and discharge recommendations (4-5 hypothetical case situations). The interview felt like they had a checklist of key buzzwords they wanted me to say - if I said the concept but didn't say the exact word, they kept awkwardly prompting. Several CA regulation specific questions were also asked.   Answer Question

The environment didn't seem supportive or focused on learning. It was hectic, chaotic & unaware employees. Gut feeling told me this was not a place that I'd enjoy working.

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center in May 2013.

There is a first come first serve basis on applying for an initial orientation. Once you schedule an orientation and attend it, you can pick which campus hospital you wish to interview at. At the California campus, there was only a one-on-one interview. I was asked basic questions just so that the recruiter can know who I am and see what my goals are.

Circulatory Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center in October 2010.

Three people interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of girls work here, do you mind being outnumbered in this manner?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at California Pacific Medical Center in June 2010.

Following the job posting, I submitted my resume and cover lettger, was granted an interview the next day and received an offer the next day

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you handled a conflict with a surpervisor   Answer Question
    Straightforward and amicable

Patient Registration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center in July 2009.

phone interview then personal interview with manager and sujpervisor

Statistician Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center in April 2008.

First i had a phone interview and then was invited to a onsite interview. Both interviews went well, and were both based on technical and practical experience. Interviewer also assessed by inter personal skills, ability to communicate well.
    Work culture is casual

Administration Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at California Pacific Medical Center in February 2008.

Interview was very straight forward as they asked about experience and looked to see if I had done my homework on the company and the region. They were looking to see if I would fit into their culture which largely based on people who are looking to work hard and are self motivated.

Interview Questions
    was not able to negotiate.