California Pizza Kitchen Hostess Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hostess Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Walked in and turned in my application, the manager came out and told me to come back the next day for an interview. At the interview, he asked me questions about why I wanted to work there, what their values are as a company, and then the other store manager came in and asked me pretty similar questions. I was told to come in the next day for a second interview, this time with the hiring manager. She asked me very simple, standard questions, and then at the end told me that the job offer would depend on if one of her employees decided to take time off for school or not.

Interview Questions
  • If I talked to your friends, what would they say is the one thing you need to improve on in yourself?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for California Pizza Kitchen

Hostess Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in July 2013.

There were two interviews for the position, one with the front of house (FOH) manager and another with the General Manager of the store, there were a number of scheduling conflicts between them and I ended up having to return three days in a row in order to be properly interviewed. However this showed my dedication to getting the job and it worked in my favor. Having a positive attitude about anything that may happen during the process is a giant plus for you. Just be yourself, its likely that the more fluid your conversation is with the person doing the hiring, the more likely you are to be hired, at least at the location I worked with. Having strong communication skills is really helpful as well.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have one, it was all relatively straight forward having worked in food service previously.   View Answer
    Relatively short, they have a set wage in which they can pay you, I did not get my desired wage but I ended up working in a fun environment so it was worth it to me to trade off.

Hostess Interview

I applied online - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Ask to answer the phone and seat people

Interview Questions

Not enough hours, part time

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in June 2012.

i was eating lunch one day and asked the server if CPK was hiring..he said yes . so i applied online for hostess..
    got an email a few days later from the manager, saying there was interview that week on Monday, tuesday and wednesday starting at 2:30 pm.

I went to the interview on wednesday- it was a group interview. they asked us all questions about customer service etc, and then they had us fill out this "quiz" thing, asking us what we would bring to the job, what person from the group interview you would hire, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one time at a previous job where the customers thought that you had bad customer service   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in July 2011.

I went in to fill out a paper application at the hiring site. One of the managers asked me a few questions. Then, she scheduled me for an interview the following week. With the interview, it was with the kitchen manager and the G.M. The asked me a few basic questions and i got the within ten minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What was one bad experience and one very good experience when eating at a restaurant?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lakewood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in June 2011.

I had applied online, which was more of just a questionnaire than an application. I received an email that was addressed to about fifteen other people that said we had been invited to a "special" group interview a few days later. I was surprised that this CPK was still doing interviews, since a friend had interviewed there only about a month prior in another group interview. I got there about ten minutes early, and filled out an actual application this time. I was taken aback at the large amount of people there- in addition to at least the fifteen other recipients of the email, there were others that had walked in to ask for applications and were invited to stay for the interview. Total, there was probably twenty-five people. We were taken out onto the outdoor patio and given water, since it was pretty hot that day. We were then separated by what position we were applying for- server or host. The hiring manager told us about each position and about her experience working up to manager. We were given time to fill out a short skills test, with questions about types of wine, herbs, and cheese. After that, we were all asked questions about our previous work experience, what we liked or disliked about it, and why we wanted to work there. However, it was very difficult to answer anything with that amount of people... I'm not the type of person to talk over people or swoop in before the manager was even done asking the question, and by the time those people were done talking, I felt like anything I said would just be repeating what had already been said. We left our resumes and reference sheets and were told to expect a call in a week or two.

I felt like the amount of people at this interview is what made it difficult- if this was a 1:1 interview, or even just with a smaller group, it would have gone much more smoothly. Twenty-five people were just too many, especially when they all have more work experience and were talking over each other to answer first.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in December 2010.

I got the job and worked there for over 3 years so I know the in's and outs of the interview process. They will usually call you back within a week of you turning in your application in store if there hiring. Then they will have you come in for a group interview usually with around 10-20 people, dress nice for this please don't ever wear sandals they hate that. They'll go around the table asking basic questions and then ask if you have any questions. Make sure you smile and seem outgoing during interview but not fake, so don't over due it they'll see right through you. If you make it past that then you will usually have 1- 2 one on one interviews with a manager at which if they like you they usually offer you the job then. It depends when you'll start because they have to put you through a training and they like to hire a decent amount of people and train them all together

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have a conflict with another employee are see them doing something they shouldn't, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in January 2008.

There was a group interview that was held, they called me back the very next day and asked me to come in and meet with the General Manager. He decided to have me work for the company and they hired me. one week later I can in for one week of training.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult, the only questions I wasn't very familiar with were wine questions (I was under 21 at the time)   Answer Question

Hostess Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in May 2011.

first the group interview then there was three separate one-on-one interviews. it was fun

Interview Questions

Worked for California Pizza Kitchen? Contribute to the Community!