California Pizza Kitchen

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Server

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in June 2012.

Interview Details – I walked in and was greeted by a very friendly manager. I asked if I could apply and was told to apply online and then come back in for an interview the following Monday in the afternoon. The interview was done in a group format (although they tend to avoid those now), with 5 potential candidates there.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was the last one: "Who would you hire from this group interview, other than yourself, and why?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation, other than on hours, which they were very flexible with.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in June 2010.

Interview Details – I went in and asked to speak to the manager. The manager handed me a booklet with all the information I needed to apply. The initial interview was a group interview where the hiring manager met with a group of 6 prospective employees.

Very Easy Interview

Schaumburg, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in April 2014.

Interview Details – I got a phone call to come in the next day for an interview. Since I had a horrible experience with the last time (the review is below, the one where the manager left me hanging for almost two hours), I was skeptical. But the minute I walked in, this location was much better. The manager interviewing me was warm, friendly and had a great sense of humor. You could tell he was a good guy within the first five minutes of talking. He hired me on the spot and set up a second interview with the assistant manager for a few days later. She asked basically the same questions he did and scheduled my training for me a few days later. They definitely DID count my food running as experience unlike the last place and now that I'm officially hired I can say I'm very happy with the managers and staff at this location. Really glad I didn't get hired by the first CPK because this location blows them away on both professional levels but also with friendliness of employees, kindness of managers, etc.

Interview Question – How would you please a customer who didn't like what they ordered?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate at all. State minimum wage otherwise $4.25 plus tips. I never have a problem making way over minimum wage.

Very Easy Interview

Busser Interview

Busser
Phila, PA

Interview Details – I filled out an app for California Pizza kitchen for a dishwasher position. I was called by the general manager a week later after I filled out the app. She was very nice and said that they really needed bussers. She explained to me what a busser was and set up and interview for the next day. The interview was really short due to the fact that she only asked me one question which was about my last working experience and I was hired on the spot!

Interview Question – What were your duties at your last place of employment?   Answer Question

Interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen

Interview Details – Was recommended by a friend. Fast interview process, started the following week, trained for a week before working the floor on my own.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Restaurant Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in November 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview with recruiter. The recruiter called me and interviewed me about my strengths and past experience for about 30 minutes. Then set up my second interview at the end of the call immediately. The recruiter told me to go to a local CPK at a specific time of morning, before they opened. I met with a with local General Manager who asked me many questions about what my strengths were and several operations questions and some if/then questions about situational scenarios for about 30/40 minutes. Before I left, the GM set me up with a third and final interview with the District Manager who was the friendliest and most relaxed. The DM asked mostly fluff questions and some business savvy questions like about when was the worst day as a manager type of questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your store was not meeting your budget guidelines, what were some of the steps you took to rectify the situation   Answer Question
  • Tell me about the most important lesson you have learned up to this point as a manager in your career and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you have excellent experience, do not sell yourself short. The raises and appraisal process is miniscule and you'll never make-up for low-balling yourself when you started. Have your target amount in mind, and work toward that industry standard. If you are worth it, they will pay it.

Oak Brook, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in April 2010.

Interview Details – Nice people but know what hospitality is all about and know how to describe food!

Interview Question – Describe flavors of the food   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Waiter Interview

Waiter

Interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen

Interview Details – CPK Hawaii holds group interviews every Wednesday. I had to fill out a resume that was provided, which included general questions (experiences, reasons for applying, etc.) and also some questions about ingredients that they use (e.g. types of cheese). The interview was done in a group format (10+ people).

Interview Question – The manager asked us questions regarding restaurant service. Standing in front of 10+ other applicants and talking was pretty intimidating.   Answer Question

Server

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Interview Details – Personable, laid-back interview.

Interview Question – None, they just wanted to get to know you. The hiring manager sat me down and asked me some questions about my work history at other restaurants and my college experience. No behavioral or very tough questions, it seemed more like they were looking for someone who fit their staff's personality. Overall, positive experience, although it did take two weeks for them to get back with me. I would recommend having a few questions prepared for the interviewer to show you have interest and to get to know the people a little better.   Answer Question

Waiter Interview

Waiter
Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very simple process, even if you have never been a waiter even though most places look for experience. I went in person to apply for the job, and they told me to come back for an interview the next day.

Interview Question – Describe yourself in 3 adjectives   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at California Pizza Kitchen

Worked for California Pizza Kitchen? Contribute to the Community!