California Pizza Kitchen Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2014
Updated Aug 5, 2014

2.3

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in June 2011.

Very Thorough training process. Managers had a lot of questions that servers were able to sell and up sell items. It was imperative to have knowledge of the entire menu. Be sure to know ingredients! It was a really great first time as a server position. Very corporate culture, in fact company was started by two lawyers. Great job if you were a decent server.

N/A

Hostess Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Walked in and turned in my application, the manager came out and told me to come back the next day for an interview. At the interview, he asked me questions about why I wanted to work there, what their values are as a company, and then the other store manager came in and asked me pretty similar questions. I was told to come in the next day for a second interview, this time with the hiring manager. She asked me very simple, standard questions, and then at the end told me that the job offer would depend on if one of her employees decided to take time off for school or not.

Interview Questions
    • If I talked to your friends, what would they say is the one thing you need to improve on in yourself?   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in June 2012.

I walked in and was greeted by a very friendly manager. I asked if I could apply and was told to apply online and then come back in for an interview the following Monday in the afternoon. The interview was done in a group format (although they tend to avoid those now), with 5 potential candidates there.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the last one: "Who would you hire from this group interview, other than yourself, and why?"   View Answer
    There wasn't any negotiation, other than on hours, which they were very flexible with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in June 2010.

I went in and asked to speak to the manager. The manager handed me a booklet with all the information I needed to apply. The initial interview was a group interview where the hiring manager met with a group of 6 prospective employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in April 2014.

I got a phone call to come in the next day for an interview. Since I had a horrible experience with the last time (the review is below, the one where the manager left me hanging for almost two hours), I was skeptical. But the minute I walked in, this location was much better. The manager interviewing me was warm, friendly and had a great sense of humor. You could tell he was a good guy within the first five minutes of talking. He hired me on the spot and set up a second interview with the assistant manager for a few days later. She asked basically the same questions he did and scheduled my training for me a few days later. They definitely DID count my food running as experience unlike the last place and now that I'm officially hired I can say I'm very happy with the managers and staff at this location. Really glad I didn't get hired by the first CPK because this location blows them away on both professional levels but also with friendliness of employees, kindness of managers, etc.

Interview Questions
    • How would you please a customer who didn't like what they ordered?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate at all. State minimum wage otherwise $4.25 plus tips. I never have a problem making way over minimum wage.

Busser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I filled out an app for California Pizza kitchen for a dishwasher position. I was called by the general manager a week later after I filled out the app. She was very nice and said that they really needed bussers. She explained to me what a busser was and set up and interview for the next day. The interview was really short due to the fact that she only asked me one question which was about my last working experience and I was hired on the spot!

Interview Questions
    • What were your duties at your last place of employment?   Answer Question

Server Interview

Was recommended by a friend. Fast interview process, started the following week, trained for a week before working the floor on my own.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in November 2010.

Phone interview with recruiter. The recruiter called me and interviewed me about my strengths and past experience for about 30 minutes. Then set up my second interview at the end of the call immediately. The recruiter told me to go to a local CPK at a specific time of morning, before they opened. I met with a with local General Manager who asked me many questions about what my strengths were and several operations questions and some if/then questions about situational scenarios for about 30/40 minutes. Before I left, the GM set me up with a third and final interview with the District Manager who was the friendliest and most relaxed. The DM asked mostly fluff questions and some business savvy questions like about when was the worst day as a manager type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when your store was not meeting your budget guidelines, what were some of the steps you took to rectify the situation   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the most important lesson you have learned up to this point as a manager in your career and why.   Answer Question
    If you have excellent experience, do not sell yourself short. The raises and appraisal process is miniscule and you'll never make-up for low-balling yourself when you started. Have your target amount in mind, and work toward that industry standard. If you are worth it, they will pay it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in April 2010.

Nice people but know what hospitality is all about and know how to describe food!

none

Waiter Interview

CPK Hawaii holds group interviews every Wednesday. I had to fill out a resume that was provided, which included general questions (experiences, reasons for applying, etc.) and also some questions about ingredients that they use (e.g. types of cheese). The interview was done in a group format (10+ people).

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked us questions regarding restaurant service. Standing in front of 10+ other applicants and talking was pretty intimidating.   Answer Question

Worked for California Pizza Kitchen? Contribute to the Community!