California Pizza Kitchen Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied online – interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Applied online and received a phone call. Scheduled an in person interview. First interview was with manager, and then interviewed with general manager after. The process was fairly smooth and easy and if I am not mistaken, I was offered the job on the spot after speaking with the general manager.

Hostess Interview

I applied online – interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Very basic. Asked about experience and what my knowledge of food was. Interviewed with the manager. Was very friendly and the interview went well but I may have been under the age at the time I applied which is why I probably didn't get an offer. But the interview itself was very easy and painless.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in January 2015.

The Interview process was a bit much considering you I was only applying for a server position. Usually I get hired on the spot or they check reference and then I get a phone call later. They put me through unneeded interviews. The first interview the person told me I should be a host. Only because I had not served in three years. To me still made no sense I have 8 years of experience. However I went a long with it. The next interview the GM told me I was not a host and I had to much experience not to not be a server. Waste of time. He couldn't answer my questions about shift expectations and constantly asked me questions about film. I have a film degree. I just wanted a job in a fast paced healthy environment but I felt like I was applying to a fortune 500 company. I guess I wasn't gay enough to fit in at their Brentwood restaurant location cause I didn't get the job. I don't have anything against gay men however I feel like if I was I would have gotten the job.

Hostess Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Walked in and turned in my application, the manager came out and told me to come back the next day for an interview. At the interview, he asked me questions about why I wanted to work there, what their values are as a company, and then the other store manager came in and asked me pretty similar questions. I was told to come in the next day for a second interview, this time with the hiring manager. She asked me very simple, standard questions, and then at the end told me that the job offer would depend on if one of her employees decided to take time off for school or not.

Interview Questions
    • If I talked to your friends, what would they say is the one thing you need to improve on in yourself?   Answer Question

Busser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at California Pizza Kitchen in April 2014.

I filled out an app for California Pizza kitchen for a dishwasher position. I was called by the general manager a week later after I filled out the app. She was very nice and said that they really needed bussers. She explained to me what a busser was and set up and interview for the next day. The interview was really short due to the fact that she only asked me one question which was about my last working experience and I was hired on the spot!

Interview Questions
    • What were your duties at your last place of employment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I got a phone call to come in the next day for an interview. Since I had a horrible experience with the last time (the review is below, the one where the manager left me hanging for almost two hours), I was skeptical. But the minute I walked in, this location was much better. The manager interviewing me was warm, friendly and had a great sense of humor. You could tell he was a good guy within the first five minutes of talking. He hired me on the spot and set up a second interview with the assistant manager for a few days later. She asked basically the same questions he did and scheduled my training for me a few days later. They definitely DID count my food running as experience unlike the last place and now that I'm officially hired I can say I'm very happy with the managers and staff at this location. Really glad I didn't get hired by the first CPK because this location blows them away on both professional levels but also with friendliness of employees, kindness of managers, etc.

Interview Questions
    • How would you please a customer who didn't like what they ordered?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate at all. State minimum wage otherwise $4.25 plus tips. I never have a problem making way over minimum wage.

Server Interview

Was recommended by a friend. Fast interview process, started the following week, trained for a week before working the floor on my own.

Waiter Interview

CPK Hawaii holds group interviews every Wednesday. I had to fill out a resume that was provided, which included general questions (experiences, reasons for applying, etc.) and also some questions about ingredients that they use (e.g. types of cheese). The interview was done in a group format (10+ people).

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked us questions regarding restaurant service. Standing in front of 10+ other applicants and talking was pretty intimidating.   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Personable, laid-back interview.

Interview Questions
    • None, they just wanted to get to know you. The hiring manager sat me down and asked me some questions about my work history at other restaurants and my college experience. No behavioral or very tough questions, it seemed more like they were looking for someone who fit their staff's personality. Overall, positive experience, although it did take two weeks for them to get back with me. I would recommend having a few questions prepared for the interviewer to show you have interest and to get to know the people a little better.   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at California Pizza Kitchen.

Simple interview