California Public Utilities Commission

Interviews for Top Jobs at California Public Utilities Commission

Public Utility Regulatory Analyst (PURA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at California Public Utilities Commission.

There are five PURA levels, 1-5, 5 being the highest (though the first is split into levels A-C, C being the highest). There are several steps in the hiring process. First, you have to take a test to get on the list for the appropriate level. I hear it is multiple choice for PURA 1, though for the tests I've taken, the are composed of a written exercise, mini-essays, and an interview with 2-3 people. The interview and mini-essays are STAR format; the written exercise is an hour-long hypothetical exercise. If you are in the top three ranks of a given PURA level list, you may apply for positions that open up for the next 18 months. You submit a written Statement of Qualifications (SOQ), and if you are selected for an interview, the process is an interview with 2-3 people.

Interview Questions
    • Written exercise. Focus on timing and providing sufficient detail.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at California Public Utilities Commission.

Very informal--probably due to the fact that I had specific experience in the area they were hiring for. I applied to the summer internship program and heard nothing for the longest time. Then, right before I was about to take another job, the supervisor called me and asked me a few questions. Nothing very hard-hitting or put-me-on-the-spot. He told me about the project he wanted me to work on. Asked me if I was interested, I said yes and that's how it went.

It was a little difficult to negotiate with HR. After much back and forth I was able to qualify for an additional dollar an hour ;-}

Intern Interview

This was just a typical hiring process. It is government, so nothing unexpected should come up. It wouldn't hurt to know energy industry and legal jargon, though ignorance of this stuff is not a deal-breaker. The advice is the same as any interview: be intelligent and interested in the position.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at California Public Utilities Commission in January 2012.

I interviewed with three people. They told me about CPUC and then proceeded to ask me about my resume. Try to research the CPUC beforehand (most people don't know much about its function) since it would be really helpful. Other than that, the interview was pretty laidback. Workplace is business casual.

Utilities Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at California Public Utilities Commission in January 2007.

They grade the resume and from there they call the top five. The Interview is an examination process and they call the top couple people for interniew and hire.

Interview Questions
    • There was a specific question they ask only for skills test   Answer Question
    there was none