California State Assembly

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and interviewed at California State Assembly.

Interview Details – Applied online and communicated through email with my employer, the Financial Director. We set up an interview time at the office where I was led into the Assembly member's office. After an interview that lasted about 30 minutes of vocal questions, I was led to my intended workspace to write a few paragraphs on a recent government issue (they gave me a topic). Luckily, I had heard something on NPR driving to my interview that day and was able to provide some hard information. From that, it was discerned that I was (at least raised) a Democrat. Having been raised to be on the opposite political side was no problem however, though they did reiterate that I was to represent a Republican office for as long as I worked there.

Interview Question – If you're a Democrat, why are you applying for a position under a Republican Assembly member?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

District Director Interview

District Director
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at California State Assembly.

Interview Details – Interview with elected official and chief of staff. I stated what I was looking for in a salary, and negotiations with the Speaker of the Assembly and rules committee were had. They were able to come back to me with he salary package and benefits package that was suitable. As a salaried employee you work overtime without pay. This line of work has few raises, so you want to start at as high of a level as possible. You also have to move around a bit in order to move up and gain experience. This is more easily achieved in Sacramento.

Interview Question – If you disagree with the members position while out in public or while working with the member, how would you handle that situation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I stated what I was looking for in a salary, and negotiations with the Speaker of the Assembly and rules committee were had. They were able to come back to me with he salary package and benefits package that was suitable. As a salaried employee you work overtime without pay. This line of work has few raises, so you want to start at as high of a level as possible. You also have to move around a bit in order to move up and gain experience. This is more easily achieved in Sacramento.

Field Representative Interview

Field Representative

Interviewed at California State Assembly

Interview Details – Sometimes its who you know...

Interview Question – Are you willing to make this job your number one priority in your life for the next four years?   Answer Question

Chief of Staff Interview

Chief of Staff
Sacramento, CA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at California State Assembly in June 2010.

Interview Details – I made a personal connection with a member, who asked me to meet them at the Capitol. We spoke several times on the phone. They asked around about me, and then hired me.

Interview Question – What will members say about you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was very easy. As long as I could provide documentation that I made a certain amount, I was able to receive the amount I was asking for.

Policy Analyst Interview

Policy Analyst

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at California State Assembly in August 2009.

Interview Details – Because of budget constraints, the salary that was offered was later rescinded and reduced.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate

Worked for California State Assembly? Contribute to the Community!