California State Board of Equalization

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Taxes Representative Interview

Business Taxes Representative
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in June 2013.

Interview Details – took qusetionary exam online and then mailed all the papers resume, letter, score sheet and application and got email for written interview. it was easy and situational interview . mostly questions were situation.. Everything was easy but lets see how it all goes..

Interview Question – easy not hard   Answer Question

Fresno, CA

I applied online and interviewed at California State Board of Equalization.

Interview Details – The interview questions were fairly easy basically just asked about strengths and weaknesses. Also asked about auditing situations and how you would deal with them, and a few questions about databases and if you ever worked on a database.

Interview Question – How would you deal with certain situations during an audit?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Too much traveling involved

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor

Interviewed at California State Board of Equalization

Interview Details – Oral panel. Question and answer session.

Interview Question – Just be honest with your answers and none should be a surprise.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tax Tech I Interview

Tax Tech I
Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in January 2014.

Interview Details – Sent in my application snail mail and got a call to invite me in to take the written portion of the interview. Then after I passed the written exam, I had an interview with 2 managers that same week. They asked me standard questions about why I wanted to work here and why i thought I would be a good candidate. They had a list of questions and even let me see the questions while they wrote down my answers. The written exam was about sales and use tax which they provided a pamphlet and to file a tax return. It's a math problem but it's basically reading comprehension.

Interview Question – If your relative is not technology savvy, how would you guide them to order online tickets for a concert? Explain your steps.   Answer Question

Tax Auditor

I applied online and interviewed at California State Board of Equalization.

Interview Details – Describe a process, have you ever had any issues with difficult people and if so explain. Scenario based questions.

Interview Question – Scenario: If a client lost all of their documents how would you prove their sales?   Answer Question

Tax Auditor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in January 2013.

Interview Details – I've actually interviewed for this position at different branches several times. Things to note: You need to take the online "test" (its really a questionnaire) to get on their mailing list. Once you "pass" it, they will mail you a form letter any time a job opening occurs: You are often asked to reply with a state application + college transcripts (and maybe a resume/references) Once you mail it in, expect to wait anywhere from 3-6 weeks for a reply. So you might not get a call back for an interview until 2 months after the job posting initially shows up on ca.jobs.gov.

From what I've seen they usually interview for about 2-3 days (so maybe 20 or 30 applicants) but they typically get anywhere from 50-200 people applying per job opening. After interviewing, it might take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to even find out if they are interested or not. (one of the senior auditors at a branch told me it took her NINE months from when she was interviewed to when she got her job offer - while that is unusual, be prepared to wait awhile - probably minimum 2 months)

Since I've been on this interview a few times I'll list what you can expect and what you *might* see. The interview itself usually is with either 2 or 3 supervisors/managers and usually lasts 45 mins to an hr assuming you have decently good responses. They usually ask somewhere between 7-10 questions

Questions are often as follows (some combination will be asked, definitely not all of them):

General things: what do you know about boe, why do you want to work for boe, what computer programs do you know, whats your strengths, yada yada. Pretty vanilla stuff you would get asked at any interview.

Behavioral/Past questions: Often times phrased as "describe a time when you had "x" and how did you handle it. "x" can be something like time management stuff, deal with an angry customer, etc. This type of question can be hard to answer if you have no work experience IMO.

Situational Audit-Related question: General situational audit questions. What types of forms would you ask to review in an audit, what do you do if a client your auditing is uncooperative, etc. This can be tricky. They aren't expecting you to *know* these answers cause obviously this is an entry level audit position. They want to see however if you have the ability to think of ideas on the fly. "i don't know" is obviously the worst answer you can give; just make sure you try something even if you have no idea. Some of these questions you can't possibly answer absolutely correctly unless you have had prior audit experience.

Sometimes before the interview they will ask you for a writing sample (usually they give you 20-30 mins) and you write about some prompt they give you. Sometimes they also give you an audit/math based question. Get familiar with looking at pro-forma I/S, B/S for multiple years and trying to spot any strange entries that might indicate that they are doing something fishy/wrong.

After the questions are done they give you some time to ask questions, and then you are done.

Interview Question – Situational Audit questions basically   Answer Question

Tax Audirot Interview

Tax Audirot
Irvine, CA

I interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in June 2013.

Interview Details – took a online test. few weeks after they say i am ranked 3rd among 151. mailed them back an filled out application. Waiting for further action guide

Interview Question – N.A.   Answer Question

Tax Technician I Interview

Tax Technician I
San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in August 2012.

Interview Details – Obtaining the interview is a slow process (you are dealing with a government entity). Initially, I applied online, and a few months later, received a mailing that there is an opening, and if interested sign, and return the mailing. A few months after that, I received a phone call, asking if I was still interested in the position, and to come in for an interview. I was asked to bring in a list of three references as well as any awards, accolades, or current reviews, pertaining to my current position. The interview itself was very professional, and organized. It lasted forty five minutes, and the offices were nice - modern, and new. I was interviewed by two managers, and afterward they asked for a writing sample, where you're given a scenario of a customer, who has called the offices, and upon pulling up his account, you notice he's past due on his State taxes. What would you do? During the entire interview, both managers are writing all your responses down.

Interview Questions

Accountant I Interview

Accountant I
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in April 2012.

Interview Details – Standard 7-10 behavior question interview.

Interview Question – Provided 30 minutes to prepare a written inquiry to vendor for mistake made on order.   Answer Question

Business Taxes Representative Interview

Business Taxes Representative
Irvine, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at California State Board of Equalization in February 2013.

Interview Details – First 20 mins I have to answer a quiz about reading comprehensive about taxable product.
Then got interview with a supervisor and also HR manager, all questions related to real situations stimulation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for California State Board of Equalization? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at California State Board of Equalization interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by California State Board of Equalization employees and interview candidates.