Callison Architecture Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2015

2.9

TADP Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Callison Architecture (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied in February/March. Reached out to the recruiter through a mutual contact via e-mail. Heard back from the recruiter about a month later. Had both a phone and in-person interview in April.

Overall, questions were challenging but not impossible to answer. Definitely a strong focus on their leadership principles. Between both interviews I would have plenty of strong examples ready for each. The in-person interview had four people who rotated between me and three other candidates. The "bar raiser" was clear and more critical than the other three (which is to be expected).

Some negatives: There was one experience of mine on my resume that the bar raiser was pretty rude about as he did not feel it was relevant or significant and asked me why I put it on there. It was something that many employers actually find very beneficial so I thought his response to it was mostly due to his international background but overall I thought he was not simply critical, but rude.

Also, I found out online through my candidate profile that I had not been selected prior to them actually contacting me. This was a little negative as well, you just expect a little better from Amazon. Particularly if you're applying for a recruiting/HR position.

Overall, it was a slightly more challenging process in that the actual interview is about 5 hours long, the interviewers are pretty repetitive, and their questions are behavioral and specific yet broad at the same time so it can be hard to know what they are looking for. It wasn't horrible, however.

Interview Questions

• What accomplishments are you most proud of? Tell me about a time you had a bias for action.   Answer Question

Architectural Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Callison Architecture (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Overall it seems like a great office to work in. High energy levels all around. Interview process was average, just be yourself and make sure you sound confident about your work you are showing. Overall interview time was around 30 minutes and a tour is also given at the end.

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Callison Architecture (Seattle, WA).

Interview

On the same day that I was told by the head of Recruiting/HR that I was not a good fit, I received a call from another Recruiter wanting to schedule an interview. Talk about a company that lacks communication-- their offices are literally 10' away from each other. Despite the mixed message from the Callison recruiting team, I decided to pursue the interview process. Round one was a phone screen. Round two was in person with a Director of Design and a Director. Round three was a phone interview with a Principal, another Director, and a Project Manager. Then there was a lunch with the Principal and a Director. The process took over a month in total, but I finally accepted an offer and was named an Associate Principal after about a year... not too bad for someone who was originally told they were not a good fit! I've since learned that the Head of Recruiting/HR doesn't know what he's doing, so I'm not too offended by his original oversight.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard stuff. It was the multiple interviews that were tough. I'm use to a much quicker process.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Received what I asked for.

Interior Designer Interview

Interview

Speedy Interviewing process, submitted and 4 days later I received a call to set up a phone interview. HR staff was very friendly and responsive. Interviewed over the phone with 3 design professionals who gave me the opportunity to ask many questions. My experience was not suiting to the position

Interview Questions

• Most questions were based on my portfolio and the processes and involvement.   Answer Question

Interior Design Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Callison Architecture.

Interview

The overall experience was good. There was a short delay between my second interview and the offer. The person extending the offer didn't seem to be very excited about extending the offer.

Interview Questions

• The first person I interview with, both over the phone and in-person was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. He left me with a great impression of the company. Once I got to the panel interview, I had a slightly different impression of the company as you might expect. A few of them seemed tired and overworked and one seemed distracted, possibly not happy to be there. She was the person who extended the offer to me. I don't recall any questions that seemed difficult or that made me pause to think hard in any of my interviews. They were the common typical questions I'd expected. I remember feeling relieved after the panel interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was pretty straightforward but I didn't ask for much at that point in my career.

Reception Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Callison Architecture in October 2013.

Interview

Interview by potential coworkers

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Callison Architecture (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

emailed resume, was contacted by HR about 2 weeks later to set up initial phone interview, did first phone interview with 2-3 people, then about a week later did second phone interview with 2-3 people, a week later set up in person interview in seattle where i talked with 3-4 different people, gave a panel interview and presentation of work as well, about a week/two later was contacted by HR who gave me an offer letter of employment, which i accepted.

Interview Questions

• was asked how i felt about working a lot of extra hours.   1 Answer

Negotiation

they provided offer letter, and i accepted

Interior Design Staff I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Callison Architecture (Seattle, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Got 2 round interview with the design team. HR manager are good at contacting after the 1st interview.

Architectural Staff I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Callison Architecture (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

Submitted my resume and portfolio through a friend who worked at the firm. Was given a call back about an interview. They set up the interview and I met with the department head and a project architect. We looked over my portfolio and made small talk. After the interview they contacted one of my references.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a team player?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating

Architect Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Callison Architecture (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

They looked through samples of my work and asked me about my previous experience. They asked me what about Callison did i like and what do i see myself doing in the next 15 years. They were positive about my work and encouraged me to continue my education in this career.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Callison. what can you bring to the team?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room for negotiation. which should have been a red flag