Calpine Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.7

Sourcing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Calpine.

Interview

First interview was very basic and over the phone. Second one on location with 2 individuals at the same time. Interview was again very simple, going through experience and resume. A few behavioral questions.

Buyer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Calpine (Houston, TX).

Interview

Standard interview process with HR screening and asking background questions over the phone. Scheduled an interview in person for two weeks later. Interviewed with two people, a lead and the manager/supervisor of the position who asked general questions on background and provided an overview of the job. They could improve turn around time of letting candidates know/not know if they were selected for a position. After 5 weeks of silence it became apparent they hired someone else but the lead HR rep be sent an email stating that they hired someone else for the position.

Interview Questions

• The manager asked me to explain the position to her....   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Interview

One interview that took a little over an hour. Awesome people! Honestly this is a great company and I have had the best experience! My advice is just to be confident in yourself and your capabilities and the interview will go smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my experience and what was on my resume   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Calpine (Houston, TX).

Interview

Very well organized. Everyone was polite and professional. Questions were relevant to the job and my experience. Met many senior leaders and was contacted in a timely fashion when the rounds were complete.

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Calpine.

Interview

Applied online though there website when job was first posted and didn't hear anything back until maybe 2 weeks after the application closed. Had one conference call interview and was informed several days later I was being offered the position. Easy going interview, typical questions, and seemed to be an easy going group.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a chance to look at our website (yes) and what stood out to you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made an offer which I though was fair and I accepted. Didn't even try and negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Calpine.

Interview

MBA recruiting. One person interviewing on campus. He was personable. He asked GMAT style probability questions to gauge my mathematical ability. Things like you have x number of socks, y of which are blue. How many pairs should i remove to achieve q probability. Lots of industry questions. I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• on how many doses of antiviral i would need to take to have 90% confidence i was protected from some disease where antivirals had 50% chance of protecting from virus   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Calpine (Middletown, CA).

Interview

The Calpine interview process can take a while. Hang in there and just when it seems you will not get a call... you get a call. Decisions sometimes take time, especially when the company works a 4-10 work week. Calpine is focused on hiring the best applicant and schooling is definatelty a bonus with them.

Power Plant Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennsville, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Calpine (Pennsville, NJ) in March 2013.

Interview

Received a phone call for an interview after I submitted an app via the companies' website. Interview was pretty straightforward, I sat in front of a panel of 3 engineers and discussed my background and skills. Don't go into the interview planning on making stuff up because when you discussed your skills they will go pretty in depth to try and figure out how much you really know. Will have to pass a drug test & Background check upon accepting of job offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain how in depth you know Microsoft Excel (Was a big part of the internship)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was told a higher pay rate in the interview than what was on the formal job offer from HR. Was told it was "due to my credentials" (Lack of previous intern experience, low GPA) Didn't bother to negotiate since it's just an internship.

Procurement Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I interviewed at Calpine (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial contact made by HR and four person interview process set up. Interview was staged in a single room with the 4 interviewers coming and going based on their scheduled time. Two of the interviewers were late in arriving for their appointment. One interviewer was particularly rude in his personal comments.

Interview Questions

• You appear to be too nice for this job. We need someone who can handle the "renegades" in our California office and make them follow standard processes. The other person who had this role was very aggressive and kept our California office in line.   1 Answer

Transaction Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Calpine (Houston, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

I was first contacted by a external recruiter. Subsequently he arranged a phone interview with hiring manager. I was invited for a day long on-site interview where I met Hiring Manager, 2 of his team members and 3 other members from broader team. The role was very specific and so most of the questions were around how my experience will help me perform job functions. Through out the interview I was able to see the how my experience was misaligned with this role. 2 weeks later recruiter informed me that they hired another candidate whose experience was a better match.