Calpine

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Calpine.

Interview Details – MBA recruiting. One person interviewing on campus. He was personable. He asked GMAT style probability questions to gauge my mathematical ability. Things like you have x number of socks, y of which are blue. How many pairs should i remove to achieve q probability. Lots of industry questions. I never heard back from them.

Interview Question – on how many doses of antiviral i would need to take to have 90% confidence i was protected from some disease where antivirals had 50% chance of protecting from virus   Answer Question

Power Plant Engineering Intern Interview

Power Plant Engineering Intern
Pennsville, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Calpine in March 2013.

Interview Details – Received a phone call for an interview after I submitted an app via the companies' website. Interview was pretty straightforward, I sat in front of a panel of 3 engineers and discussed my background and skills. Don't go into the interview planning on making stuff up because when you discussed your skills they will go pretty in depth to try and figure out how much you really know. Will have to pass a drug test & Background check upon accepting of job offer.

Interview Question – Explain how in depth you know Microsoft Excel (Was a big part of the internship)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was told a higher pay rate in the interview than what was on the formal job offer from HR. Was told it was "due to my credentials" (Lack of previous intern experience, low GPA) Didn't bother to negotiate since it's just an internship.

Procurement Manager Interview

Procurement Manager
Houston, TX

I interviewed at Calpine in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact made by HR and four person interview process set up. Interview was staged in a single room with the 4 interviewers coming and going based on their scheduled time. Two of the interviewers were late in arriving for their appointment.
One interviewer was particularly rude in his personal comments.

Interview Question – You appear to be too nice for this job. We need someone who can handle the "renegades" in our California office and make them follow standard processes. The other person who had this role was very aggressive and kept our California office in line.   View Answer

Transaction Support Manager Interview

Transaction Support Manager
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Calpine in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a external recruiter. Subsequently he arranged a phone interview with hiring manager.

I was invited for a day long on-site interview where I met Hiring Manager, 2 of his team members and 3 other members from broader team.

The role was very specific and so most of the questions were around how my experience will help me perform job functions. Through out the interview I was able to see the how my experience was misaligned with this role.

2 weeks later recruiter informed me that they hired another candidate whose experience was a better match.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Middletown, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Calpine.

Interview Details – The Calpine interview process can take a while. Hang in there and just when it seems you will not get a call... you get a call. Decisions sometimes take time, especially when the company works a 4-10 work week. Calpine is focused on hiring the best applicant and schooling is definatelty a bonus with them.

Senior IT Manager Interview

Senior IT Manager
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Calpine in April 2012.

Interview Details – Lengthy but fair, except that the company they hire for background checks are idiots.

Very Easy Interview

Plant Engineering Intern Interview

Plant Engineering Intern
Texas City, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Calpine in March 2012.

Interview Details – Received a phone call asking if I was interested and hired instantly. No job site visit or in-person interview. Very relaxed approach which was surprising.

Interview Question – Are you interested in working here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked me when I was able to start, where I lived, what I wanted to gain from working there. Very easy questions, nothing intimidating.

Human Resource Generalist Interview

Human Resource Generalist
Houston, TX

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Calpine in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview and hiring process can be lengthy, expect to meet with various people over many days

Interview Question – Business knowledge/company knowledge   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate

Compensation & Benefits Analyst Interview

Compensation & Benefits Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Calpine in January 2011.

Interview Details – Do your research for the company. They have come through some bad times prior to 2009 and that should be commended. HR Director at first came off as a little condescending, but that seemed to be because of his genuine concern for the position and the desire to hire the right candidate.

Interview Questions

• It takes a good two years to fully understand and appreciate the Benefits enrollment cycle. It is repetitive and may seem below your level. How do you feel about that?   Answer Question
  • How comfortable are you with performance pay?   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

Senior Accountant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Calpine in April 2010.

Interview Details – Started with psychometric test, then one on one interview, then I was told they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• If I was prepared to immediately step in and contribute to the team projects.   View Answer
  • Would I be willing to relocate/travel.   View Answer

Worked for Calpine? Contribute to the Community!