Caltech (California) Administrative Assistant Interview Questions & Reviews

3 interviews

3.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Administrative Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Caltech (California) in July 2014.

I applied for the position online and was contacted two days later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well--basic questions about work experience. I was called in for an interview and met with manager, hiring manager, and faculty. All three were extremely professional and gave honest feedback on what types of qualities and skills would make someone successful in the role.

Interview Questions
Did not need to negotiate. Offer was to my liking.

Other Interview Reviews for Caltech (California)

Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Caltech (California) in February 2012.

Caltech has a sizable Human Resources department. I applied for the position in late December and was not contacted until late February. The HR person who assisted me was very pleasant and detailed and sent over some instructions for the interview; where to park, where to go, etc. She explained the position thoroughly and advised me to look over their website to become familiar with this famous campus.

When I arrived, I did not meet the HR person I spoke with, rather I was given a map to go ahead and meet with the interviewer immediately. The position I was interviewing for was in the division of math, physics and astronomy (so cool!) and their style was very relaxed. My interview lasted almost two hours, but the interviewer was very welcoming and it helped that their dress code is none.

Ultimately, I came up short with some of the skills they needed, but overall, it was a basic interview.

Questions asked:

Tell me about a particular achievement in your previous job?
    What are your weak points?
    How do you deal with a manager that is practically non-existent?
    Do you work well on your own?
    Tell me why you are the person for this position?

Hope this helps! I really had a great experience and if you are looking for a position in an academic setting, look into this place. The campus is beautiful, the people are beyond brainy and the benefits are excellent. Looks like pay is good too. Another bonus - not every position has to go through a background check or drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a recent accomplishment in your previous position   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Caltech (California) in May 2009.

The process was quite involved and required alot of effort on my part to see any action. It was weeks inbetween interactions for a position that I was told by the hiring manager needed to be filled as soon as possible. When I did finally get an interview the interviewers acted extremely hostile.

Interview Questions
    • How regimented do you like your work schedule, 1 being total adherence to all regulations without question and 10 being completely lax of all rules. Please keep in mind that we are a very sternly run facility   Answer Question

Worked for Caltech (California)? Contribute to the Community!