Caltech (California) Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015

2.8

Interview

The first interview was a phone interview with someone from the human resource department. She only asked three basic questions. Very simple.

Second interview was a phone interview with the sustainability director at Caltech. We spoke for around an hour. The interview was mostly experienced based questions with a couple of situational questions. The conversation flowed very well and was somewhat casual. A very positive interviewing experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with LEED building certifications?   Answer Question

Grad Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

There was a personal statement, submission of grades, and letters of recommendation component in the application. All of this was done in an online application. Having a caltech connection is useful for getting in.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caltech (California) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position online and was contacted two days later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well--basic questions about work experience. I was called in for an interview and met with manager, hiring manager, and faculty. All three were extremely professional and gave honest feedback on what types of qualities and skills would make someone successful in the role.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not need to negotiate. Offer was to my liking.

Staff Scientist Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

Hired from postdoc position into staff role. Must have PhD from top tier research institution. Letters of recommendation go a long way towards distinguishing you from your peers.

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation - take it or leave it.

Summer Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

Sent an e-mail requesting that I meet with the professor after a lab tour. He accepted, and we had a short interview. The interview process was more like him telling me what are some of the jobs that he is looking to fill, and discussing the projects that he would like finished.

Interview Questions

• I was a freshman at the time, and the questions were not difficult, rather more general.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

Most likely to get a job through professional networking. If invited for an interview be prepared to give an hour-long talk to a specialized audience of up to 50 people. Be ready to defend your subject. Have in-depth knowledge of the lab you are applying to. Also be prepared to ask pertinent questions during a lab tour.

Interview Questions

• During the job talk, I was asked a technical question about a very specific aspect of my research.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview, followed by a test of technical knowledge and writing skills - assigned a paper to read and summarize.

Summer Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

Met one-on-one with a professor in the related field. Overall, not very technical and more focused on interest and fit.

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

Send the application to graduate studies office. No interview for the engineering department.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Interview Questions

• NA-I did not get an interview. The process is high dependent on the departments. Some departments such as bio may require onsite interview. Basically you need to get an excellent GPA, and very good research background, good recommendations to get admitted. I think the personal statement is very important. Contacting professors before submitting your application is helpful.   Answer Question