Caltrans

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.8

Student Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caltrans in November 2014.

I was not very confident during the interview; however, I got through it with God's help. Having good grades helps. They asked me a few questions. The interview lasted less than 15 minutes. It took a little less than two weeks for them to call me to inform me that I got the job. Make sure you pray a lot before the interview. If it's God's will, you will get the job. If it's not His will, then you won't get the job. Being at peace with His will is what gives peace.

Highway Maintenance Worker Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Caltrans.

First I you take an online test, then fill out the state app. The Interview process really for seasonal work in the Sierra Nevada Spots is straight hire. I waited about 6-9 months for the job. They called me up asked where I would prefer working I didnt have one landed working for the Truckee CALTRANS I-80 yard they where great people, to work with. and Learned a lot.

Interview Questions
    • I didnt know much about what I was getting into so be prepared for some long long shifts when it snows your working 12 hours minimum with few to any breaks. Pay was good but dont make any solid plans from October 15 to through April 15   Answer Question

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caltrans in October 2014.

I sent my standard state application via mail, got a phone call from HR about 2 weeks later to schedule an interview another 2 weeks later. I drove to the capital and checked in with the front desk (where ~7 other names on the interview list were already checked off above mine -- a bit discouraging to say the least).

I've had a number of interviews with private sector, non-profit orgs and government agencies, but this interview was probably my least favorite. There were 3 women in the room -- I didn't know what their positions or titles were, because they only introduced themselves by first name. One of them assured me that they were laid back and told me to relax. Okay. There was no small talk, no "how are you doing?", no "so tell us about yourself." (Not the ideal environment to 'relax') They didn't talk at all about the position or department either. Frankly, they all looked tired, impatient and incredibly bored.

They asked me 5 interview questions; each was printed on its own page of paper inside a binder in front of me. The interviewers didn't speak or respond or ask follow up questions to my answers -- they strictly read the questions and took notes as I answered. Most of them were behavioral questions: "Tell me about a time where you had to deal with a frustrated co-worker or employee.."Obviously a skilled interviewer can come up with great answers to unexpected questions, but I felt that they could have asked more relevant or interesting questions to get to know me as a candidate more. For example, the last question was "Tell me about one of your biggest AHA! moments." It's difficult to answer that question and relate it back to the position. One of the women walked me out to the main hallway and asked me a couple more questions about myself while she held open the door for me to exit -- If she wanted more information from me, why didn't she ask me when I was in the room with the other interviewers?

The interview probably only lasted 10-15 minutes. I was called 2 weeks later with a rejection and some feedback from my interview (nothing surprising, but mildly helpful).

Environmental Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caltrans.

The process began with an online "test" (questionnaire) regarding qualifications to place you on an eligibility list. Received 95% and was ranked in the first list of eligibility. Received call for interview about 2-3 months later. Interview panel of 2 with a series of 6 questions asked. The questions were fairly general discussing qualifications, experience in team setting, ability to multitask, writing skills, & a reiteration of why you're a good fit for the position. As you speak your answers they write and don't say very much or ask many follow up questions to your responses. The questions are also there for you to read along as they ask.

Interview Questions
    • Upon reconstruction of a bridge over a river what types of issues/impacts would you expect to encounter, what types of documents would you need to prepare, what would be your role(s)/responsibilities in the project   Answer Question

Transportation Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caltrans.

Hiring process was long and bureaucratic even though there were few applicants as the starting salary was very low for a professional position. Interview was held by a panel of six persons. One of the panel members, who represented the Equal Employment Office was not very friendly. I suspect that was because I'm not of a minority race.

Interview Questions
    There was nothing to negotiate as terms of employment are according to civil service rules.

Associate Analyst Interview

I had one panel interview with three managers. They asked me about my analytical experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you made a mistake and how you responded   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caltrans in September 2013.

Mostly questions about the technology that you've used and your experience with the software and math behind the project. Many questions about pet projects and favorite IDEs or editors or development environments.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me how long it took to learn a new library or language.   View Answer
    Worked out how many hours, had no say over what I would get paid. They quoted a hire rate than I received and HR wasn't helpful in trying to get the mentioned pay rate.

Highway Work Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Caltrans in September 2013.

Nice staff; After applying I was Interviewed twice! Company supplied the workers with those costly work boots & Work Vest

90 day paid internship; Accept it.

Transportation Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caltrans.

I was hired during a campus placement. Very easy interview.

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caltrans in July 2012.

You submit an application to the filed office then selected for an interview. The interview consisted of a panel of 3 department heads. You are shown the interview questions before the interview. The first step in the process is taking the State administered test for the position. Once on the list, you become "reachable". This requirement is valid for any agency in the State of California who is hiring for this position.