Caltrans

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Environmental Planner Interview

Associate Environmental Planner
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Caltrans in October 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews: one in person, one phone. Interview process is smooth because there is not any specific lay out. They just want to get to know you and see your experience and see if you would be a good fit for the team. There is a written portion and a take home portion, but those are relatively simple if you have any experience.

Interview Question – Asked about NEPA regulations   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Caltrans in September 2013.

Interview Details – Mostly questions about the technology that you've used and your experience with the software and math behind the project. Many questions about pet projects and favorite IDEs or editors or development environments.

Interview Question – They asked me how long it took to learn a new library or language.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Worked out how many hours, had no say over what I would get paid. They quoted a hire rate than I received and HR wasn't helpful in trying to get the mentioned pay rate.

Transportation Planner Interview

Transportation Planner
Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Caltrans.

Interview Details – Hiring process was long and bureaucratic even though there were few applicants as the starting salary was very low for a professional position. Interview was held by a panel of six persons. One of the panel members, who represented the Equal Employment Office was not very friendly. I suspect that was because I'm not of a minority race.

Interview Question – I don't remember, it was too long ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was nothing to negotiate as terms of employment are according to civil service rules.

Associate Analyst Interview

Associate Analyst

Interviewed at Caltrans

Interview Details – I had one panel interview with three managers. They asked me about my analytical experiences.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you made a mistake and how you responded   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Highway Work Crew Interview

Highway Work Crew
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Caltrans in September 2013.

Interview Details – Nice staff; After applying I was Interviewed twice! Company supplied the workers with those costly work boots & Work Vest

Negotiation Details – 90 day paid internship; Accept it.

Very Easy Interview

Transportation Engineer Interview

Transportation Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Caltrans.

Interview Details – I was hired during a campus placement. Very easy interview.

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Associate Governmental Program Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Caltrans in July 2012.

Interview Details – You submit an application to the filed office then selected for an interview. The interview consisted of a panel of 3 department heads. You are shown the interview questions before the interview. The first step in the process is taking the State administered test for the position. Once on the list, you become "reachable". This requirement is valid for any agency in the State of California who is hiring for this position.

Interview Question – Please describe your greatest failure?   Answer Question

Environmental PLanner Natural Sciences Interview

Environmental PLanner Natural Sciences
Oakland, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Caltrans in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was a series of seven questions asked by 3 panel members. Everyone seemed drawn out and unhappy to be there, I think I was the sixth interview that day, and probably 25th interview that week, or some rediculous number. They asked very specific questions that were multiple parts and did not allow me to see the questions. I would suggest in the future they allow a person to take notes, or at least see the question being asked at the time. I answered the questions well and was asked back for a second interview but I guess they are looking for superman, like all other places these days.

Interview Questions

• What is the army corp defintion of a wetland?   View Answer
  • IF your dealing with a oak wooldand near a wetland please explain the entire environmental planning process from start to finish?   View Answer

Staff Attorney Interview

Staff Attorney
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caltrans in April 2012.

Interview Details – The on-line application for the position required a quick qualification "test" regarding the skills necessary for the position. The interview consisted of a 1 hour interview with a three-person panel. The panel members were very open and forthcoming regarding the job and its requirements. The interview questions were, mostly, typical "Tell us about..... and how did you deal with it?" questions. At the end of the interview, there was a quick "read this fact pattern; what would be your action plan?" test

Interview Question – [After reviewing a fact pattern dealing with an automobile collision] Describe what information you would seek to obtain from the Plaintiff's deposition; describe what your discovery plan would be going forward.   Answer Question

Environmental Planner Interview

Environmental Planner
Stockton, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Caltrans in September 2011.

Interview Details – applied online by taking an assessment test. Was called for an interview about a week later.
Interview panel had 3 people, only 1 tolerated being there. My future boss texted during the interview, hardly paying attention to my answers.
After the interview, met 2 of the interviewers outside the room. Both were kind, sweet and friendly. Complete 180 from the interview.

Was asked if I ever worked with endangered species, and to explain what federal and state environmental laws apply to CalTrans work.

Interview Questions

Worked for Caltrans? Contribute to the Community!