Calypso Technology Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

2.6

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty long almost around 2 months due to holiday season.. Below are the steps
    1) HR contacted me via Email.
    2) Phone Interview - +ve feedback received the 1-2 days
    3) On Site Interview with New York Team - 2- 3 hours ( 4 -5 people)
       a) First interview was with Business side person - Was interesting and got all possible info about the project and the need for hire and about the company.
       b) Second was technical white boarding session. ( I found it easy)
       c) Third was again technical written Java test ( If you are Sun certified should be easy)
       d) Fourth was with a Project Manager
       e) 5-10 min with HR

4) Received +ve feedback again in 1-2 days and then set up a date after one month for another onsite interview in San Francisco Office ( one night Hotel + Flight tickets paid by company)

5) Onsite Interview with San Fran team was again for around 3 hours (4-5 people)
      a) First interview was again with the Same business person with NY where again i learnt more about the project and company.
      b) Second interview was pretty technical - core java and understanding of other technologies. They check how passionate you are about technologies
      c) Third interview was white boarding on a use case of online shopping Application like Amazon.. I enjoyed this as well and answered all questions.
      d) Fourth interview was with the 20% tech and 80% finance - Questions asked about options , Commodities, Bond Pricing etc..
      e) The the hiring manager /director which was like lunch and interview .. more on behavioral .

6) Received the feedback in 3-4 days.
    7) Negotiations for 1 week + on Salary and other logistics like Visa sponsorship ,relocation etc..
    8) Emailed offer Letter ..

My overall experience was pretty good. People here are friendly and welcoming.. They know what they are doing and what kind of people they are looking for.. I would say salary is ok ( 5-10 k less then market) not that great but i liked the project more so went for it..

N/A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

The first half of the interview process was great. After doing two phone interviews, I was invited to the San Francisco office to do four in-person interviews. My accommodation in the city was great and everyone was very nice. The interview itself was mostly about my previous experience and discussion how I can bring my expertise to contribute to the company.
    After the in-office interview, I flew back home and waited for their final decision. The recruiter notified me that I am one of the finalists and they'll be making a final decision shortly. After a few weeks, they wanted me to interview with a few more people before making a final decision, which I was happy to do.
    For about a month following my last interview, I've lost count of how many follow up emails I've sent. After receiving another firm from a different employer, I wasn't very happy with the lack of information coming back from Calypso. After much consideration, I declined to continue my application process and took the competing offer from a different company. I never received any response from Calypso after that.

The overall experience was unorganized and stressful.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview conversation was about some of the projects I've worked on and walking through what I would recommend on a certain situation to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Associate Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

For morning session, all candidates were required to do a presentation about their education and work experience in front of the interview panel and other candidates. The presentations were followed by a test on basic finance knowledge (with a focus on derivatives). Lunch was provided. For afternoon sessions, there were 2-3 one-on-one interview sessions with manager / associate currently work in the business analyst program.

Interview Questions

Most decision factor in declining this offer is that employees and candidates were not very impressive at all. During the presentation, some candidates answered the question of "Why Calypso" by elaborating on how Calypso has great pay and benefit, which is clearly rookie mistake in interviewing and some other candidates can barely speak English. Interviewers did not ask very intelligent questions and have background in non brand name colleague / MBA programs. Office space is very run-down and overall not a high-caliber organization to learn and grow for entry-level candidates.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

interviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter who as quick to set up the phone screen. Had an elaborate phone screen with two different teams.

Questions were asked on basic java caoncepts, drools concepts, Spring AppContext, Transient variable, volatile, cartisian product, linked list vs arraylist, hashmap vs hashtable vs hashset, design pattern, iterator pattern.

The interviews went quite well and were supposed to set up an in person interview. However, there were some changes and the requirement was put on hold. The recruiter was courteous enough to let me know the situation instead of leaving me hanging for an answer.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was offered an interview over email very randomly. I handed my resume to a recruiter over a year ago at a career fair, and never expected a response, but there it was in my email, right before I was about to graduate.

The interview for NGT required a powerpoint presentation about myself, then taking a finance written quiz, and if you passed, you were allowed to actually interview. There were 3 interviews, two of which had 2 people interviewing me and one of which was just with the potential manager. Interview questions were straightforward, none of that fitting tennis balls into an airplane stuff. Word of advice: the company is a technology company, NOT finance company. If you are a finance/econ major, don't flaunt your finance knowledge or experience as if it matters that much. Make sure you show interest in the technology aspect of the company as that is pretty much 80% of what you will be working with as an employee.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

At the end of my last interview of the day, an HR person came in and talked salary and told me they'd get back to me in a week. I got a call a week later with an offer a little bit above what I asked for, and 100% paid for health benefits. I accepted very soon after that call.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

They call college graduates in San Francisco office and ask them to present themselves regarding why they want to work at Calypso and also they what you their profile is. Then they conduct one hour objective test with Java, OOP and few Unix questions. Then they call for one on one interview where four to five people come and talk to you one after other. Most of them ask normal behavioral questions and not technical. Some of them ask about basic java questions like what is Transient used for, how to implement multi-threading, what is the significance of static and final in java ? Then they ask you a puzzle like if you have a linked list with circle in it then how do you detect that ? You can say you use two pointers and one will move faster than other and if you keep them moving then at some point of time they will point to the same node for an instance. They also have different kind of elevator system in the building. They will ask you why it is the way they have designed. You can say that it is more efficient.

Interview Questions

• If you have a linked list and it has circle in it then how will you detect   1 Answer
    • Why the elevator system in the building is the way it is ?   1 Answer

Associate Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Applied through my school's job website and received an invitation for an information/interview session. Received a brief introduction to the company and what they do, presented a powerpoint presentation consisting of my background, goals, and why Calypso. Afterward, took a financial knowledge test that asked basic/intermediate finance questions such as NPV, what are options, FX, stock exchanges, etc. Then 1:1 interviews with managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non-negotiable

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

One day process for college graduates (Straight onsite interview)
    1. Present yourself in front of everyone with slides
    2. Written objective Java and basic Unix commands Test (not very tough)
    3. Three to four people will do one on one interview
    4. You get to know at the end if you made it or not
    Each level has filters

Interview Questions

• In one on one interview they asked very basic java questions.
      1. What is multiple inheritance and difference between Interfaces and Abstract Class ?
      2. When it is good to use Abstract Class and When to use Interface ?
      3. What is transient keyword used for and what is serialization ?
      4. What are private, public, protected and default access specifiers used for ?
      5. What is static keyword used for ?
      6. What is Concurrent Modification Exception and how can it be avoided ? Why we use iterator ?

Answer Question
    • They also ask why the elevators in the building are designed the way they are. (Why buttons are not in the elevators but outside on every floor)   1 Answer
    • In a given linked list how can you find out if there is a loop or not ?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

the interview includes three parts: first part is a 5 min short presentation about yourself'; second part is a paper quiz on some basic financial stuff; then the third part is 1-1 interview, about 3-4 rounds meeting with different people.

Interview Questions

• why is your presentation so different from others?   1 Answer

Associate Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Calypso Technology (San Francisco, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

I heard about the company at my university career fair, where I handed in my resume. A week later I was contacted through an email notifying me that I was invited for an information session/interview. The interview consisted of a ppt presentation where candidates provided information about their education and why they feel fit for the job. In addition, candidates had to take a test showing their knowledge of financial markets. Questions included: 1) what is the current Dow Jones level? 2) What is the par value of a bond? 3) What does IPO stand for? After the presentation about 5 candidates were given 1:1 interviews.