Cambridge Associates, LLC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – I applied online and about a month later, I received an email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview was basic, running through the resume. Then two weeks later, I was called in for a group interview where you listen to a presentation about the company for about thirty minutes and then have three individual interviews with assistant managers. The last interview I had was a writing sample, two round table discussions with people who have the job you are applying for, an interview with an assistant manager, and then the manager.

They repeat the questions a lot. They try to make you nervous by asking a lot of questions in a short amount of time. It's really not that bad.

Interview Question – What animal characterizes your work ethic?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The compensation was lower than expected. I got another job with a higher salary.

Performance Analyst Interview

Performance Analyst
Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – Found out about the job from talking to a recruiter at a campus career fair. Submitted application online and completed phone screen a week later then traveled down to DC for super day (bonus: they reimburse you for travel). Day started with an informational presentation on the group followed by standard super day format of 4-5 consecutive interviews, most with the group's managers. Interview questions were somewhat repetitive. Everyone I met was in their 20s, so seemed like it'd be a fun environment to work in after college. Heard back from the recruiter that I didn't get the job within a week after the super day. Overall positive experience: the process moved quickly, recruiter was helpful, and everyone seemed to genuinely like working there.

Interview Question – Nothing too unusual   Answer Question

Research Analyst - Manager Information Group Interview

Research Analyst - Manager Information Group
Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied via Campus recruitment. Interviewed on campus, didn't get an offer. Most of the questions were about teamwork and leadership

Interview Question – Who in your life do you want to model your career after?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed in December 2013 and January 2014. I was contacted by the HR Department via email, and set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic and normal questions such as "Why Cambridge" and "Tell Me About yourself". I was asked for an onsite interview at the end of the conversation. The first onsite interview was meeting with three individuals within the PRG and a group presentation. they were very informative and asked multiple questions on the lines of "Why Cambridge?" and "Why are you a good fit for this position". Every interviewer was very knowledgeable, nice, and polite. Two weeks later, I was asked to come back for a second onsite interview. This interview was a walk through on what an average day at CA would look like. I also interviewed in a group panel with two managers of PRG, one current Investment Performance Analyst, and the head manager of the PRG. Again, all of whom were nice, cordial, and polite. I was asked many of the same questions. Finally I had to complete a case study and present it to the head manager. The case study is not difficult, but you need to be thorough. Overall it was a great experience, and everyone I met with was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Interview Question – Previous situational questions: 'When have you been put in a situation such as..... and how did you deal with it?"   View Answer

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2012.

Interview Details – After a basic phone screen there are two interview rounds. The first involves interviews with several managers and senior team members. They all have varying interview styles so be prepared for various types of questions. Honest answers rather than pre-rehearsed responses are valued. There are also sessions with junior team members in our to establish whether the candidate would fit with the office culture. Second round involves more intense interviews and also transparency where a candidate learns the day to day operations of position. Asking questions of the managers when prompted is very important.

Interview Question – Some managers will try to revisiting tough questions about weaknesses etc. Again honesty and consistency is valued. Make sure answers are consistent through out interview. Managers will often look unengaged because they are recording notes on the candidates responses during an interview, this can be distracting but the candidate should not be phased by this. It is important to be candid in sessions with junior team members as often these sessions can be just as important as the interviews with managers. If you are not a finance of business major be prepared for questions about why you are interested in working in the financial sector.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position in mid-November and received a phone call to set up an initial phone screen in early December. After a 30 minute phone interview which included a review of my resume and "why Cambridge?" type questions, I was told I'd hear something the next day. Sure enough I was invited the following day for a face to face interview. Two weeks later I finally sat down for interviews with 3 different managers and a company presentation. All 3 managers seemed to take a different approach to the interview. One was gentle and inviting, one was stone faced and let no emotion show, and the third was also gentle and forthcoming. They asked trick "gotcha" type questions in the interviews to make sure you were paying attention to the presentation. These included: Where are our locations outside of the US? What year were we founded? Is this a front or back office position? What does PRG stand for? Do we manage assets or advise on those assets? Honestly, if you do a bit of research before the interview on there website, you'll be fine. I felt like the interviews went well and was told I'd hear back within a week. Well after 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I'd all but given up on them. I had hoped the holiday season had perhaps got in the way of everything, but I wasn't expecting any future communication. Sure enough I received an email (about 2 weeks after face-to-face interview #1) inviting me back for another round. The next week I came in for a much more involved interview. This round lasted nearly 3 hours and included 4 interviews with 6 different people. First a review of the systems they use and a clear notion to ask in-depth questions about the processes. Then an interview with 2 different managers (one of whom left Goldman Sachs to come to this company, I wonder if she wasn't cutting it at Goldman). My next interview was with 2 new-hires within the last year and it's a chance for you to ask questions about the position and what their experiences were like. My final interview that day was with a manager who I'd interviewed with the first go-around. This included a simple case study about the transitioning of a client from one analyst to another. The final interview included more in-depth questions about my resume.

Bottom line: I thought I was advancing smoothly in the process and giving them answers that were to their liking. The company said I'd hear back within a day or two about a decision. After 3 days of anticipation and hearing nothing, I emailed the last HR person I was dealing with. She replied the next day with a standard "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. So that's it, after 3 separate interactions with the company over a 5 week period that included interviews with 10 people, I ended up getting denied. It's the nature of the financial beast and a strong and competitive DC job market. I was more than upset but quickly rebounded because of the amount of interview offers I'm receiving at other firms.

Interview Question – Are you under or overqualified for this position? You have to pick one.   View Answer

Senior Research Associate Interview

Senior Research Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2011.

Interview Details – Candidates resumes are screened by HR and are followed up by a phone screen from within the department. If passed through, the candidate is invited in for a first round open-house style during which they interview with one member (hiring manager or team lead) from each functional team. If interested in the candidate, they are asked back for a 2nd and final round during which they have an interview with the assistant managers, manager, panel discussion with team members/peers, complete a writing sample, and have a final concerns session interview during which time the hiring manager presents any remaining concerns. If the candidate satisfies the remaining concerns, then an offer is presented from HR contingent upon background check.

Interview Question – Rank your previous two interviews on a scale of 1 to 10. Rank yourself on this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, salary is fixed for entry positions.

Research Associate - Capital Markets Interview

Research Associate - Capital Markets
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied directly through their website and received the standard HR reach out email about 4 weeks afterward. Pretty typical phone interview/screen to gauge interest and background. I was then scheduled to come into their office the following week for a set of interviews with the manager and director of the group. The in-person interview went down as a bit of a good cop bad cop scenario. The manager asked very pointed questions, the director more behavioral. EVERY response is written down. They were not quite reading off a script, per se, but they did have about 30+ questions to choose from. The job requires a fair amount of Excel use, and while I didn't have to sit at a computer to test my Excel knowledge they did ask me how to run certain functions just from memory. There was also a short editing test where they presented a few of the reports CA makes and my job was to highlight/correct any errors I found.

Interview Question – Can you tell me where the S&P 500 closed yesterday? What has its performance been for the past week? Past month? Past year? Same line of questioning for NASDAQ and NYSE.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Was brought in for the first round of interview (along with another candidate). The first interview was started with an information session about the company, followed by 3 thirty minute back to back interviews with three different people (Each of the 3 have a different mood from happy and easy going to quite serious). I was invited back for the second and final round of interviewing. This consisted of meeting with the head of the performance reporting group, and several other managers. There was also a scenario based test involved.

Interview Question – Name 3 of your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn and was called the next day for a phone screening. After that I was signed up for an interview at their Arlington location. Had a series of three interviews lasting about a half hour each. They seemed more concerned about asking questions to contradict yourself than asking about skills. If I contradicted myself in the least bit, theyd tell me.

Interview Question – Weaknesses   Answer Question

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!