Cambridge Associates, LLC

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – The first interview was through my school. It was only a half an hour, and really just a fit interview, nothing much to worry about. There was a very short case. Only a graph with just one question. I didn't have any financial background, but they knew that with me going in, so I talked my way through it and asked questions.

I got a second round which was at their office in Menlo Park. It was from 9 in the morning until around 2, lunch included. Five interviews and then lunch is a pretty long day. Didn't get a tour of the office which is weird for such a small place. First interview was behavioral, second was my background, third was why do you want to work here, fourth was a longer 40 minute case and the last was talking about an article.

Everyone was really nice except for the "why do you want to work here" interviewer. Apparently no matter how I answered that question it was not good enough for him. We spent around 20 minutes on it. They knew I had no finance background going in (I'm a physics major), but proceeded to say that since I had no background, how did I know I would like it or even be any good at it. I field questions pretty well if I say so myself, but at the end of this, I was just wondering why they invited me up in the first place if they thought I was unfit for the job.

Also, lunch was awkward. It was with a girl my age who had just started work there 6 months ago. She honestly had nothing to say and I had to carry the whole conversation for myself. Nice, but just dull...

While it was a good experience, I am disappointed that I drove 6 hours each way to talk with them when I feel that they didn't take me seriously. They knew I didn't have a finance background to begin with so it is a little annoying that this was such a big holdup for them. Also, there is no compensation for travel, which can be annoying when other consulting firms will do anything to get you there.

Interview Question – You really have to know why you love finance, and why you want to work there.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Interview Details – Had a phone interview which was pretty basic, asked how to invest 100 million. Then had a assessment day which consisted of 3 interviews and a case study. Finally had a third round with a director.

Interview Question – All pretty basic questions   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interviews with other associates and consultants. I did 5 rounds because it was done purely by Skype. Applied through the website. Emailed me back.

Interview Question – The case study is probably the most difficult part in which you are given a sample investment planning review to explain what the charts mean.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

London, England (UK)

Interview Details – No competence questions. I was asked about my previous job experience and why want to switch to investment consulting. Then I was asked to describe my portfolio: where would I invest and why, for how long, etc etc. They clearly expected very detailed answer of the firms, sectors, market dynamic, aims.

Interview Question – Detailed questions about the market portfolio.   View Answer

Consulting Associate
City of London, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2011.

Interview Details – 20 minute phone interview with a few general questions such as: Why did you do that degree, what do you expect to do at CA. After that a quick case study about how to invest a 100 mio. fortune. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions

Consulting Associate

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2010.

Interview Details – The first portion is a phone interview with basic questions like: what were your favorite 3 classes in college? Tell me about yourself? and then you explain your resume. They also ask questions like how did you hear about Cambridge? Tell me about someone who was difficult to work with? What are your strengths and weaknesses?

The second portion is a 3 hour long interview where you interview with 2 consulting associates, one office manager, and 2 consultants. The time length is designed to wear you down so you become more honest. The first 3 people ask very similiar questions and ask you to classify your excel knowledge (do you know vlookups, vbas, sumproducts, etc), interest in investments, etc. The 4th section is a case study asking about sharpe ratios, efficient region, etc. It proposes 4 portfolios and asks you to pick the best one based on the data.

Interview Question – What were your favorite 3 classes in college and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, anyone who applies gets a hard offer of $47,000 plus an up to 5% bonus (subject to a 35% tax) in December.