Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated Apr 25, 2014

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Boston, MA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2011.

Interview Details – First step was a generic phone interview, i.e. favorite class in college, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why CA, etc. Next round is 1:1 with a current Consulting Associate and it has a similar course as the phone interview, but is more to see how you interact with people, and then there was a simple case study about choosing investment managers for a client. Final round is a series of interviews with each interviewer covering a specific portion of you background (College, work experience, interest in investments, what type of person/worker you are, case study (mine was about hedge funds)) given by current Consulting Associates, HR manager, and Consulting manager.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Changping, Beijing (China)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in January 2013.

Interview Details – Background:
The position is for their newly opened Beijing office

I send my resume through email. Three weeks later, I recieved a phone call to set me up for a phone interivew and to inform me the approximate length of the interview (30 mins).

1st round : The call came on time. The interviewer begins with "tell me something about youself" and then perceed to the usual resume runthrough, and then ask a few behavior questions like: what are your strength? Later switch to general questions about the company just to see if you have done any research on the company and investment consulting industry in general. "what are Cambridge Associates' competitors?", "why do you want a career in investment consulting?"
My general impression is that they want to see if you are serious enough about the a career in investment consulting. the entire process took about 17 mins. I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the 2nd round.

2nd round: the 2nd round consists of a written test and a case study ( not the case study you see for management consulting firms) More behavior questions but this time it goes really deep. you have 20 mins for the written test. I was given two topics. One is to write some afterthought on the recent finance related news I read, and the other one is to write the steps you will take to communicate with institutional clients. I took choice number one.
The case study has lots of materials. One of the consultant walks me through the entire process. It was about how to pick stocks, managers for institutional clients. ( sharpe ratio, diversifcations, athrimatrical means, covarience, effiency porfolio frontier) There were many graphes to get you going, but i kept thinking afterward that it is almost impossible to keep saying the right answers if I did not major in Finance. Afterwards, I met the other two staff ( small operation) mostly they want to see if you are a good fit for the firm and if you want to stay in Investment Consulting for long. (behavior questions go deeper)

Again, I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the next round.

3rd round: By this stage, I guess the job has come down to only a few candidates (3 or 4) and I know that I have to distinguish myself, but I really don't know how. I know everyone on the shortlist must have the same problem. Anyhow, I prepare the best I could. The first half of the interiew was with someone I think would be the direct supervisor of this position. The qustions are like the ones I encountered on the 2nd interiew, but some easy questions related to Finance as well. The other half of the interview was with the director of the consulting group. Again, More behavior questions like round 2.

Overall, the interviewers were very pleasant and respectful. Most questions are aimed to discover whether your goals and interests are in line with the company's.

Interview Question – why not going into investment management why investment consulting? why more spread money among more portfolio managers can achieve better diversification.   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2012.

Interview Details – Fairly straightforward interview process. Starts with a phone interview with a current consulting associate who has a year or two's experience, it's a very relaxed conversation about your background, then some basic questions on investments.

Interview Question – How would you invest 1 million dollars?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

Interview Details – On campus interview with one interviewer. Following that, had an informational session in the evening at the office. This was followed by an interview day with 5 interviews, the 3rd being a case interview (that is unlike most case interviews for consulting due to the uniqueness of investment consulting). Then they have a consulting associate take you to lunch, which I assume is informally part of the process as well.

Interview Question – The case. It is unlike other cases you would see, and involves picking the right set of investment managers based on the information you are given.   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2010.

Interview Details – 1. 30min phone interview to ascertain your interest in investment consulting and Cambridge Associates
2. In-office interviews comprising of a case study, and interviews with members of the consulting associate team
3. In-office interviews with other members of consulting associate team and investment consultant
4. In-office interviews with one or two investment consultants

Interview Question – How does the optimal number of managers differ for different types of asset classes and what does it depend on?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

Interview Details – The first interview was a 1:1 that consisted of a fit section and quick graph analysis (if you can extract the important details from a graph you'll be fine). The second interview was held at the company site in Boston. There were 5 parts: two fit, two "cases" and a 1-on-1 lunch. The first fit was very standard -- you basically walk through your resume. The second part was just answering "why Cambridge Associates". The cases weren't your standard management consulting case; they were more tailored to the specific kind of work you would be doing as a CA.

Interview Question – Why Cambridge Associates?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2009.

Interview Details – This was a standard interview with some exercises to test basic investment knowledge. The interview is composed of 5 meetings with current CA team.

Interview Question – Nothing stood out.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted an application and cover letter via campus recruiting. First had an on-campus interview with a 23-year-old Consulting Associate. Very informal. Then had a sort of super-day at their offices in Boston. It consisted of five 30-45 minute interviews, and then an informal lunch off-site with a current Consulting associate. The interviews were as follows:
1. Behavioral - about academic background
2. Behavioral - about work experience
3. A sort of case study. You are given a hypothetical client institution (University) and asked how you would develop a an investment strategy that suits their goals
4. You are handed a short article about how Harvard, Yale, and Stanford have changed their investment strategies since the financial crisis. You are asked to read, analyze, and discuss the article. Not a high pressure environment, though.
5. 30 minute interview about why you want to work at Cambridge, what your goals are, etc

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in investment consulting? Have you applied to other investment consulting companies?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2012.

Interview Details – Just had a first round interview at a recruiting event. Interviewer was extremely friendly and nice. It was just a 30 minute interview during which we went through my resume and talked about me. They said it would take 2 weeks to hear back but I still have not heart anything 2 months later.

Interview Question – I was given a graph and asked to pick which producers I would choose based on the graph   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2012.

Interview Details – 1st round phone interview.
2nd round on-site interview with 4 different people.

Interview Question – Why do you want to do investment consulting?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!