Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated Apr 25, 2014

2.8

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consulting Associate Interview

First had an on campus interview at my university and then an on site interview with the firm. Whole process took about 2.5 weeks from the first interview to hearing back after the second round. The on site interview consisted of 2 30 min and 2 45 min interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing too difficult, had to talk through a few cases, but that was about it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cambridge Associates, LLC

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

They will email you to get a time with you for a phone interview. During the phone interview, you will be asked to go through your resume. There will also be HR questions like the kind of jobs you look out for, the reason you chose the role and what do you know about Cambridge Associate. Interviewer from Cambridge Associates is friendly.

Consulting Associate Interview

Had a phone interview which was pretty basic, asked how to invest 100 million. Then had a assessment day which consisted of 3 interviews and a case study. Finally had a third round with a director.

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

The first interview was through my school. It was only a half an hour, and really just a fit interview, nothing much to worry about. There was a very short case. Only a graph with just one question. I didn't have any financial background, but they knew that with me going in, so I talked my way through it and asked questions.

I got a second round which was at their office in Menlo Park. It was from 9 in the morning until around 2, lunch included. Five interviews and then lunch is a pretty long day. Didn't get a tour of the office which is weird for such a small place. First interview was behavioral, second was my background, third was why do you want to work here, fourth was a longer 40 minute case and the last was talking about an article.

Everyone was really nice except for the "why do you want to work here" interviewer. Apparently no matter how I answered that question it was not good enough for him. We spent around 20 minutes on it. They knew I had no finance background going in (I'm a physics major), but proceeded to say that since I had no background, how did I know I would like it or even be any good at it. I field questions pretty well if I say so myself, but at the end of this, I was just wondering why they invited me up in the first place if they thought I was unfit for the job.

Also, lunch was awkward. It was with a girl my age who had just started work there 6 months ago. She honestly had nothing to say and I had to carry the whole conversation for myself. Nice, but just dull...

While it was a good experience, I am disappointed that I drove 6 hours each way to talk with them when I feel that they didn't take me seriously. They knew I didn't have a finance background to begin with so it is a little annoying that this was such a big holdup for them. Also, there is no compensation for travel, which can be annoying when other consulting firms will do anything to get you there.

Interview Questions
    • You really have to know why you love finance, and why you want to work there.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

1 phone interview with behavioral questions and onsite interview which consists of 5 small interviews. not typical case interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

There were two interviews, the first is a basic 30 minute screen and then a second super-day interview which consisted of four 30 minute interviews. Overall the technical questions were relatively easy especially if you have a business/finance background.

One major critique, their HR recruiters for this role are pretty lost in the weeds and do not respond to emails or calls. They agreed to reimburse me $300 for travel expenses for the super day, it has been seven weeks and I still have not been paid back. I even Fedexed HR another copy of my expenses and they ignored it. Also, when I finally heard back from HR they told me that I was qualified and they would have made an offer but they had already extended all offers for the class and that they kept interviewing until all offers were extended. I am a bit annoyed that they wasted my time and especially because I did so much prep work all with no chance from the beginning. This is a company with a great reputation and I would have really liked to work there, however treating candidates in this way is unacceptable and unfair.

Interview Questions
    • Know about sharpe ratio, correlation and Standard Deviation. Also, there is a basic case study during the super day & a two minute presentation   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Applied through campus career center. Half-hour on-campus interview, followed by interview day in Boston office that I declined. The interview was a few standard questions (Why Cambridge, why investment consulting) followed by a brief case study. The interviewer was very friendly and laid-back. Personality fit definitely seemed to be a focus.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was pretty simple, just a risk/return graph with different hypothetical managers graphed. The goal was to determine which manager should be replaced (i.e., lowest return/risk ratio).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2013.

I applied and was given a first-round interview through on-campus recruiting. The interview was 1-on-1 and lasted for about half an hour, mostly behavorial-type questions about why I was interested in the job, as well as some questions about experiences on my resume. Towards the end of the interview, I was given a simple chart and asked to provide an recommendation to a fictional client based on data in the graph. Very straight-forward. I was offered a spot in a full day final interview in the company's Boston office, but I declined.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in being a Consulting Associate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Applied through my school's job board. They had two individuals come to campus to conduct interviews. The night before, they hosted a kind of meet-and-greet so we were able to meet the other students that got an interview and received a brief overview of the company.

The first interview was pretty straightforward. Went through my resume then presented with some charts that Associates have to deal with on a regular basis. I had to draw intuitions from the information given. I didn't have extensive experience in investments so I think it was more a matter of how I think on my feet and presentation.

The final round was on-site with 5 back-to-back interviews. A couple interviewers dealt with aspects from my resume (academics, extracurriculars), one conducted a similar activity from the first interview, one gave me an article to analyze, and one had me prepare a 3 minute presentation from a booklet of charts and graphs.

It was a pretty smooth process and I would give a thumbs up EXCEPT they never got back to me concerning my application. I had to approach the recruiter after a few weeks to get any sort of communication from them. I expected better considering they were on-campus recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare a 3-minute presentation on your recommended portfolio. You had access to the performances of a couple different portfolios, as well as trends in stocks/bonds/etc.   View Answer

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!