Cambridge Associates, LLC

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through my school's job board. They had two individuals come to campus to conduct interviews. The night before, they hosted a kind of meet-and-greet so we were able to meet the other students that got an interview and received a brief overview of the company.

The first interview was pretty straightforward. Went through my resume then presented with some charts that Associates have to deal with on a regular basis. I had to draw intuitions from the information given. I didn't have extensive experience in investments so I think it was more a matter of how I think on my feet and presentation.

The final round was on-site with 5 back-to-back interviews. A couple interviewers dealt with aspects from my resume (academics, extracurriculars), one conducted a similar activity from the first interview, one gave me an article to analyze, and one had me prepare a 3 minute presentation from a booklet of charts and graphs.

It was a pretty smooth process and I would give a thumbs up EXCEPT they never got back to me concerning my application. I had to approach the recruiter after a few weeks to get any sort of communication from them. I expected better considering they were on-campus recruiters.

Interview Question – Prepare a 3-minute presentation on your recommended portfolio. You had access to the performances of a couple different portfolios, as well as trends in stocks/bonds/etc.   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted an application and cover letter via campus recruiting. First had an on-campus interview with a 23-year-old Consulting Associate. Very informal. Then had a sort of super-day at their offices in Boston. It consisted of five 30-45 minute interviews, and then an informal lunch off-site with a current Consulting associate. The interviews were as follows:
1. Behavioral - about academic background
2. Behavioral - about work experience
3. A sort of case study. You are given a hypothetical client institution (University) and asked how you would develop a an investment strategy that suits their goals
4. You are handed a short article about how Harvard, Yale, and Stanford have changed their investment strategies since the financial crisis. You are asked to read, analyze, and discuss the article. Not a high pressure environment, though.
5. 30 minute interview about why you want to work at Cambridge, what your goals are, etc

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in investment consulting? Have you applied to other investment consulting companies?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2012.

Interview Details – Just had a first round interview at a recruiting event. Interviewer was extremely friendly and nice. It was just a 30 minute interview during which we went through my resume and talked about me. They said it would take 2 weeks to hear back but I still have not heart anything 2 months later.

Interview Question – I was given a graph and asked to pick which producers I would choose based on the graph   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was set up through my university. Usually you have a behavioral interview, and then if you get accepted you go through a superday round of interviews. Questions consisted of whats your biggest weakness and etc.

Interview Question – Whats one thing about you that is not on your resume that you think I should know about you   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2012.

Interview Details – 1st round phone interview.
2nd round on-site interview with 4 different people.

Interview Question – Why do you want to do investment consulting?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Boston, MA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2011.

Interview Details – First step was a generic phone interview, i.e. favorite class in college, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why CA, etc. Next round is 1:1 with a current Consulting Associate and it has a similar course as the phone interview, but is more to see how you interact with people, and then there was a simple case study about choosing investment managers for a client. Final round is a series of interviews with each interviewer covering a specific portion of you background (College, work experience, interest in investments, what type of person/worker you are, case study (mine was about hedge funds)) given by current Consulting Associates, HR manager, and Consulting manager.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2011.

Interview Details – Not a great process. I know some good people there, but their process really looked down on my background because it was not in the "hard sciences" or math.

Interview Question – Explain an effective portfolio model?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2010.

Interview Details – Very straight forward - cycle through several of employees then a case study with very basic investments

Interview Questions

Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2010.

Interview Details – It was a laid back culture, everyone was really friendly and really young. Most of the employers were from Northeastern schools, NESCA and Ivies. Overall the interview was not hard at all and everyone was really nice.

Interview Question – Typical questions, academics and job experience   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2010.

Interview Details – Had my first round of interviews with Cambridge Associates for their Consulting Associates position. It was mostly behavior questions like tell me about a time where you used teamwork. They also gave me a chart which was risk/reward chart based on different portfolio managers. They told me to describe it and talk about the Share Ratio. Besides that, it was a fairly straightforward interview, no tough questions.

Interview Question – Toughest class you have taken or why did you choose the school you attend?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cambridge Associates, LLC