Cambridge Associates, LLC Consulting Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2010.

Sent cover letter and resume to recruiter. Heard back and arranged for a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Standard questions covering resume, background, and how picked university, etc. Heard back and invited to Branch for the final interview.

At branch: 3 hours interview process. Mostly one-on-one and had a short case to analyze (20 mins). Basically risk-return graphs and to see if you understand basic finance/investments. Interviews briefed over resume, but were mostly looking for a "fit"with local branch. All in all, be sure you can explain that you are proficient with with excel (vlookup, vba, etc), that you can handle the work-load, and you are a good fit with the rest of the branch.

Heard back within 2 weeks via email, about rejection. Also, firm does not reimburse for gas, provide lunch, etc.

Interview Questions
  • What are your plans in the future, say 5 years?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cambridge Associates, LLC

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2009.

First I applied through a listing on my school website. Then I had a phone screening interview where we walked through my resume and they answered some basic questions about the company. Then a few weeks later I got invited to come in for an inperson 1:1 interview. I thought this went well however about a month after I still hadnt heard anything and found out they had moved on.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you struggled in a team working situation   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2009.

The first round was a 30 minute experience interview. Very casual and relaxed:all standard questions: why my university, major, past work, why Cambridge, etc.
    Second round was in their Boston offices. 5 30 min interviews + lunch. Interview topics: academics, work, a case (walk-though), analyze an article and finally why Cambridge/Investment Consulting.

Interview Questions
    • The case was about assuming the role of a university endowment and then deciding how to choose a manager, how to pick a portfolio...basically analyzing risk/return graphs.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2010.

1. 30min phone interview to ascertain your interest in investment consulting and Cambridge Associates
    2. In-office interviews comprising of a case study, and interviews with members of the consulting associate team
    3. In-office interviews with other members of consulting associate team and investment consultant
    4. In-office interviews with one or two investment consultants

Interview Questions
    • How does the optimal number of managers differ for different types of asset classes and what does it depend on?   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable.

Consulting Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

They will email you to get a time with you for a phone interview. During the phone interview, you will be asked to go through your resume. There will also be HR questions like the kind of jobs you look out for, the reason you chose the role and what do you know about Cambridge Associate. Interviewer from Cambridge Associates is friendly.

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2012.

Fairly straightforward interview process. Starts with a phone interview with a current consulting associate who has a year or two's experience, it's a very relaxed conversation about your background, then some basic questions on investments.

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Changping, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Employee in Changping, Beijing (China)

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in January 2013.

Background:
    The position is for their newly opened Beijing office

I send my resume through email. Three weeks later, I recieved a phone call to set me up for a phone interivew and to inform me the approximate length of the interview (30 mins).

1st round : The call came on time. The interviewer begins with "tell me something about youself" and then perceed to the usual resume runthrough, and then ask a few behavior questions like: what are your strength? Later switch to general questions about the company just to see if you have done any research on the company and investment consulting industry in general. "what are Cambridge Associates' competitors?", "why do you want a career in investment consulting?"
    My general impression is that they want to see if you are serious enough about the a career in investment consulting. the entire process took about 17 mins. I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the 2nd round.

2nd round: the 2nd round consists of a written test and a case study ( not the case study you see for management consulting firms) More behavior questions but this time it goes really deep. you have 20 mins for the written test. I was given two topics. One is to write some afterthought on the recent finance related news I read, and the other one is to write the steps you will take to communicate with institutional clients. I took choice number one.
    The case study has lots of materials. One of the consultant walks me through the entire process. It was about how to pick stocks, managers for institutional clients. ( sharpe ratio, diversifcations, athrimatrical means, covarience, effiency porfolio frontier) There were many graphes to get you going, but i kept thinking afterward that it is almost impossible to keep saying the right answers if I did not major in Finance. Afterwards, I met the other two staff ( small operation) mostly they want to see if you are a good fit for the firm and if you want to stay in Investment Consulting for long. (behavior questions go deeper)

Again, I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the next round.

3rd round: By this stage, I guess the job has come down to only a few candidates (3 or 4) and I know that I have to distinguish myself, but I really don't know how. I know everyone on the shortlist must have the same problem. Anyhow, I prepare the best I could. The first half of the interiew was with someone I think would be the direct supervisor of this position. The qustions are like the ones I encountered on the 2nd interiew, but some easy questions related to Finance as well. The other half of the interview was with the director of the consulting group. Again, More behavior questions like round 2.

Overall, the interviewers were very pleasant and respectful. Most questions are aimed to discover whether your goals and interests are in line with the company's.

Interview Questions
    • why not going into investment management why investment consulting? why more spread money among more portfolio managers can achieve better diversification.   View Answer

Consulting Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

1 phone interview with behavioral questions and onsite interview which consists of 5 small interviews. not typical case interview

Consulting Associate Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

First round interview was in August, with two consulting associates. They said that I would hear back from their HR dept within 2-3 weeks. 5 weeks later I heard back positively and scheduled a final round interview at their office in Boston. The final round consisted of 5 half hour interviews with two Cambridge employees. Most were Consulting Associates. The 1st was about my personal/academic experiences. The 2nd was about my work experience. The 3rd was a hypothetical client problem on risk vs return. It was not a traditional case interview but they gave me time to study the materials and then i presented to the interviewers. The 4th was a conversation about an article on asset diversification. The 5th was about Cambridge Associates and its Consulting Associate program. Afterwards, there is a 6th "interview" over lunch to see how you handle yourself in a social setting. Again they said that I would hear back 2-3 weeks later. A month passed with no word, so I sent an email to their HR dept. Their response was that they were finishing up the final round and would get back to me in a couple weeks. 3 weeks later I sent another email and got the same response. Finally 2 weeks after that, in December, I got a call from them letting me know that they were moving ahead with other candidates. Overall a good experience. I would have enjoyed working with anyone with whom I interviewed. The only negative was that their HR dept kept giving false deadlines.

Interview Questions
    • The 3rd was a hypothetical client problem on risk vs return. It was not a traditional case interview but they gave me time to study the materials and then i presented to the interviewers. I had to look at the risk/return profiles for different asset classes, then for the different managers of the different asset classes and pick the best combination.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

standard fit questions, mainly for the first round. also a mini case at the about asset management.

Interview Questions
    • nothing out of the ordinary. why investment consulting, why CA, how does your background make you a good fit etc.   Answer Question