Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

Sent in my resume and heard back with in 2 days. The came to my campus for the interview and it was 2 people in the room asking me questions. They were both very rude. Questions: what news article have you recently read that relates to the current economic climate? what does your personal portfolio look like? if given 1 million dollars, where would you invest it and why?

Interview Questions

• what is the strongest stock in your personal portfolio and why have you invested in it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

I went to an information session the night before the interview although they sent the email to potential candidates the day before said interview session stating that it was "strongly recommended". Kind of put me in a bind to begin with. Lucky enough I live in Boston, so that did not result in unplanned hotel accommodations. The interview itself was ok. It was late in the day and my nervousness was measurable. The interviewer was a consultant and was friendly enough, albeit somewhat arrogant. Basic interview questions about my resume, what skills I brought to the position so on and so forth coupled with a chart that I was to interpret. Was informed a few weeks later that the company had chosen to explore other options.

Interview Questions

• Why don't you have a job lined up with the company that you interned with over this past summer?   Answer Question

Junior Associate, Manager Information Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in May 2011.

Interview

I applied online and heard back within a day that they wanted to do a phone screen. The phone screen consisted of very basic questions and suggested that I apply for a position that I wasn't actually applying to. Questions were not finance-based but more behavioral. I heard back within two days that they wanted me to come in for an open house. The open house consisted of a presentation by the manager about the group and the company as a whole. I was there with another individual who was applying for the exact same job. After the presentation we broke up and each talked 1:1 with the manager of the group, the director of the department, and the associate director of the department. All were very intense but again did not ask finance questions. Mostly behavioral to see if I would be a good fit. I then heard back in about two days that they wanted me to come into the final interview. The final interview was long, about 4 hours. I met again with the Director of the department as well as the manager of the group. All asked very intense questions but again mostly wanted to see if I would fit in there. I also met with the entire team and to talk about how they liked their job and why I wanted to work there. Also consisted of a brief writing sample that was really not very difficult.

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

First step was a generic phone interview, i.e. favorite class in college, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why CA, etc. Next round is 1:1 with a current Consulting Associate and it has a similar course as the phone interview, but is more to see how you interact with people, and then there was a simple case study about choosing investment managers for a client. Final round is a series of interviews with each interviewer covering a specific portion of you background (College, work experience, interest in investments, what type of person/worker you are, case study (mine was about hedge funds)) given by current Consulting Associates, HR manager, and Consulting manager.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Singapore (Singapore)) in July 2012.

Interview

First round - Phone interview second round - open house and mini interviews Final round - mini interviews, writing sample

Interview Questions

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview, open house, and second round interview. Phone interview: The phone interview will be less than 30 minutes and likely conducted by HR. Expect to go over your resume, talk about your greatest accomplishment and biggest weakness. There won't be much time for your questions. Open House: The open house consists of a presentation about the department and three 20 minute interviews with the group's managers. Be prepared for some hard questions including: Define professionalism, Name three weaknesses using one work for each weakness, What are three things you learned in the presentation earlier, Sell yourself to me, What do you think you'll be doing at this job, Name one positive trait you don't have, etc. Second Round: The second round will consist of a one on one interview with the Director of the group as well as the manager of the team they think you'll fit best on. You'll also participate at least one round table discussion with people who could be your team members and colleagues. Remember to ask questions. If you're interested in the position, act like it. You'll also do a writing sample, which isn't super challenging. Bottom line(s): - The Junior Associate position is likely in the firm's data group. The data group is extremely high performing and well regarded within the firm. If you don't want to work in a data group, don't apply. But there is opportunity for advancement after you have been at the company for a while, so it's worth it. - The position is not client facing, but you do get to interact with individuals that work for investment managers. - Professionalism is key! Dress and act the part. Although most people in the department are young, they are professional at work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There are no negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in June 2012.

Interview

Phone interview, phase one. Standard questions fairly easy. Second there is a group interview following a presentation, mostly to see if you can handle yourself and stressful questions. Finally here was another presentation two group discussion panels, two interviews and a writing sample. Mostly the last part was to make sure that you were a good fit for the job and that long term you would be happy in the position. The manager wasn't convinced i would last more than two years and I didn't get the job.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Alexandria, VA) in July 2011.

Interview

Went in and interviewed with several other applicants. There was a brief presentation of the company then three half hour 1:1 interviews. Typical interview questions: why do you want to work here, what are your work ethics, what do you look for in a boss, what are your career goals, tell me about a previous experience that relates to this role, what are your strengths/weaknesses. Some of the interviewers asked situational questions, many pertaining to organizational culture. I thought it was a young, collegiate culture; one of the supervisors interviewing was quite arrogant, a pretty big turn off. The office was mainly cubicles with window offices on the side; section I was in was mainly empty. There was supposed to be a second round, but I never heard back for it; I moved on to another firm with a higher salary / better fit for me anyway. Pretty glad because the supervisor seemed rude.

Interview Questions

• do you really think you're qualified for this job?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

Interview

Three back to back interviews. I think they try to tire you out and make you mess up by giving different answers to similar questions. They had the most random questions that didn't pertain to the job and almost seemed convoluted on purpose. After seeing the process of the interviews I no longer had interest in the company.

Interview Questions

• What time would you come into work if you work day started at 8am?   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Changping, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Changping, Beijing (China)) in January 2013.

Interview

Background: The position is for their newly opened Beijing office I send my resume through email. Three weeks later, I recieved a phone call to set me up for a phone interivew and to inform me the approximate length of the interview (30 mins). 1st round : The call came on time. The interviewer begins with "tell me something about youself" and then perceed to the usual resume runthrough, and then ask a few behavior questions like: what are your strength? Later switch to general questions about the company just to see if you have done any research on the company and investment consulting industry in general. "what are Cambridge Associates' competitors?", "why do you want a career in investment consulting?" My general impression is that they want to see if you are serious enough about the a career in investment consulting. the entire process took about 17 mins. I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the 2nd round. 2nd round: the 2nd round consists of a written test and a case study ( not the case study you see for management consulting firms) More behavior questions but this time it goes really deep. you have 20 mins for the written test. I was given two topics. One is to write some afterthought on the recent finance related news I read, and the other one is to write the steps you will take to communicate with institutional clients. I took choice number one. The case study has lots of materials. One of the consultant walks me through the entire process. It was about how to pick stocks, managers for institutional clients. ( sharpe ratio, diversifcations, athrimatrical means, covarience, effiency porfolio frontier) There were many graphes to get you going, but i kept thinking afterward that it is almost impossible to keep saying the right answers if I did not major in Finance. Afterwards, I met the other two staff ( small operation) mostly they want to see if you are a good fit for the firm and if you want to stay in Investment Consulting for long. (behavior questions go deeper) Again, I was told the decition will take a week, but I got a call the next day informing me that I have advanced to the next round. 3rd round: By this stage, I guess the job has come down to only a few candidates (3 or 4) and I know that I have to distinguish myself, but I really don't know how. I know everyone on the shortlist must have the same problem. Anyhow, I prepare the best I could. The first half of the interiew was with someone I think would be the direct supervisor of this position. The qustions are like the ones I encountered on the 2nd interiew, but some easy questions related to Finance as well. The other half of the interview was with the director of the consulting group. Again, More behavior questions like round 2. Overall, the interviewers were very pleasant and respectful. Most questions are aimed to discover whether your goals and interests are in line with the company's.

Interview Questions

• why not going into investment management why investment consulting? why more spread money among more portfolio managers can achieve better diversification.   1 Answer