Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated Jan 22, 2015

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2010.

Sent in my resume and heard back with in 2 days. The came to my campus for the interview and it was 2 people in the room asking me questions. They were both very rude. Questions: what news article have you recently read that relates to the current economic climate? what does your personal portfolio look like? if given 1 million dollars, where would you invest it and why?

Interview Questions
    • what is the strongest stock in your personal portfolio and why have you invested in it?   Answer Question

Junior Associate, Manager Information Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in May 2011.

I applied online and heard back within a day that they wanted to do a phone screen. The phone screen consisted of very basic questions and suggested that I apply for a position that I wasn't actually applying to. Questions were not finance-based but more behavioral. I heard back within two days that they wanted me to come in for an open house.

The open house consisted of a presentation by the manager about the group and the company as a whole. I was there with another individual who was applying for the exact same job. After the presentation we broke up and each talked 1:1 with the manager of the group, the director of the department, and the associate director of the department. All were very intense but again did not ask finance questions. Mostly behavioral to see if I would be a good fit. I then heard back in about two days that they wanted me to come into the final interview.

The final interview was long, about 4 hours. I met again with the Director of the department as well as the manager of the group. All asked very intense questions but again mostly wanted to see if I would fit in there. I also met with the entire team and to talk about how they liked their job and why I wanted to work there. Also consisted of a brief writing sample that was really not very difficult.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

I went to an information session the night before the interview although they sent the email to potential candidates the day before said interview session stating that it was "strongly recommended". Kind of put me in a bind to begin with. Lucky enough I live in Boston, so that did not result in unplanned hotel accommodations. The interview itself was ok. It was late in the day and my nervousness was measurable. The interviewer was a consultant and was friendly enough, albeit somewhat arrogant. Basic interview questions about my resume, what skills I brought to the position so on and so forth coupled with a chart that I was to interpret. Was informed a few weeks later that the company had chosen to explore other options.

Interview Questions
    • Why don't you have a job lined up with the company that you interned with over this past summer?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

Three back to back interviews. I think they try to tire you out and make you mess up by giving different answers to similar questions. They had the most random questions that didn't pertain to the job and almost seemed convoluted on purpose. After seeing the process of the interviews I no longer had interest in the company.

Interview Questions
    • What time would you come into work if you work day started at 8am?   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2011.

First step was a generic phone interview, i.e. favorite class in college, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why CA, etc. Next round is 1:1 with a current Consulting Associate and it has a similar course as the phone interview, but is more to see how you interact with people, and then there was a simple case study about choosing investment managers for a client. Final round is a series of interviews with each interviewer covering a specific portion of you background (College, work experience, interest in investments, what type of person/worker you are, case study (mine was about hedge funds)) given by current Consulting Associates, HR manager, and Consulting manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview, open house, and second round interview.

Phone interview: The phone interview will be less than 30 minutes and likely conducted by HR. Expect to go over your resume, talk about your greatest accomplishment and biggest weakness. There won't be much time for your questions.

Open House: The open house consists of a presentation about the department and three 20 minute interviews with the group's managers. Be prepared for some hard questions including: Define professionalism, Name three weaknesses using one work for each weakness, What are three things you learned in the presentation earlier, Sell yourself to me, What do you think you'll be doing at this job, Name one positive trait you don't have, etc.

Second Round: The second round will consist of a one on one interview with the Director of the group as well as the manager of the team they think you'll fit best on. You'll also participate at least one round table discussion with people who could be your team members and colleagues. Remember to ask questions. If you're interested in the position, act like it. You'll also do a writing sample, which isn't super challenging.

Bottom line(s):
    - The Junior Associate position is likely in the firm's data group. The data group is extremely high performing and well regarded within the firm. If you don't want to work in a data group, don't apply. But there is opportunity for advancement after you have been at the company for a while, so it's worth it.
    - The position is not client facing, but you do get to interact with individuals that work for investment managers.
    - Professionalism is key! Dress and act the part. Although most people in the department are young, they are professional at work.

Interview Questions
    There are no negotiations.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2011.

Went in and interviewed with several other applicants. There was a brief presentation of the company then three half hour 1:1 interviews. Typical interview questions: why do you want to work here, what are your work ethics, what do you look for in a boss, what are your career goals, tell me about a previous experience that relates to this role, what are your strengths/weaknesses. Some of the interviewers asked situational questions, many pertaining to organizational culture.
    I thought it was a young, collegiate culture; one of the supervisors interviewing was quite arrogant, a pretty big turn off. The office was mainly cubicles with window offices on the side; section I was in was mainly empty. There was supposed to be a second round, but I never heard back for it; I moved on to another firm with a higher salary / better fit for me anyway. Pretty glad because the supervisor seemed rude.

Interview Questions
    • do you really think you're qualified for this job?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2012.

Phone interview, phase one. Standard questions fairly easy.

Second there is a group interview following a presentation, mostly to see if you can handle yourself and stressful questions.

Finally here was another presentation two group discussion panels, two interviews and a writing sample. Mostly the last part was to make sure that you were a good fit for the job and that long term you would be happy in the position. The manager wasn't convinced i would last more than two years and I didn't get the job.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2012.

First round - Phone interview

second round - open house and mini interviews

Final round - mini interviews, writing sample

Interview Questions

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.

MBA Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2012.

I was invited to Cambridge offices for a first round interview, where I was met by a Senior Consultant, who began by asking whether I had any last-minute questions. We promptly moved on to a written case study interview that focused on investments. The case included all necessary text and exhibits needed to complete the questions. The topics covered in this exercise were limited to those one would over in one's first year of business school. I had 20 minutes to work on the case alone, 20 minutes for discussion with the sane Senior Consultant/Interviewee, and the remainder of the hour was a one-on-one discussion focused on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to go into investment management consulting and not investment management?   Answer Question