Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2014.

Had my primary interview on campus. The primary interview was mostly questions about my resume and generic questions such as "tell me about yourself", "your weaknesses/strengths", etc. Just as you would expect a typical interview to go. The interviewers were very nice and cordial and the interview itself was very fun for me.

I got through to the second round interview which was held at their VA office and was conducted by a senior software developer and another software developer. They asked more in depth questions about the languages I knew that were present on my resume. Asked about multi-threading, ruby, java, etc. Most of the questions were geared toward technical things. They asked a couple of questions about protected vs. static vs. private. All in all, the interview process was very relaxed but I couldn't get a read on their expressions. I didn't know how I was doing on the interview.

Overall, it was a great experience and had a lot of fun interviewing with Cambridge Associates for an internship position.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't have difficult questions in the interview. If you truly know what you wrote on your resume and can speak about them, there should be no problem.   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Recent college grad from a top tier liberal arts school. Submitted my cover letter, resume, and transcript to C|A through my school's career website. Little to no financial services/investment management experience and majored in a non-finance field of study, but I received an email for a short (20-30 min) first round phone interview shortly after (<1 week). The phone interview was very conversational, easy-going, and only contained behavioral questions. Just make sure you prepare and know why you want to work for C|A and in the position you applied for. Also asked me about why I chose my school and my major. Immediately after my interviewer finished asking her questions and I asked some of my own, she invited me to C|A's Super Day in Boston.

C|A's Boston office was incredibly easy to find and when I arrived there was a short wait in the lobby with about 6-7 other candidates. The first step was a bagel breakfast, where the candidates listened to a short presentation about C|A by an Investment Director (~15 mins). Then the floor was opened for a short Q&A with the ID and the some current Investment Associates who were also in the room, and who were also going to be interviewing the candidates. Make sure you ask a question, as it will make you standout. I was originally told the first step would be a 45-60 min powerpoint on the firm, so I was a bit surprised by this departure.

After the ID presentation was over, each candidate split off with a current IA/interviewer for a 1-1 30 min interview. Over the course of the day, I had 4-30 min interviews. The first was behavioral (very informal/conversational) that focused on my educational background. The second was a case component. The third was also a case component. The last was another behavioral that focused on why I wanted to work at C|A and as an IA (interviewer was visibly disinterested/standoffish). I read beforehand that each interviewer adopts a different persona (very nice, neutral, uninterested/brash) and I definitely saw it during the interviews. Don't let it rile you though, it is a way for them to see how you handle stress/different personalities. After I was finished with those, I went on a 40 min lunch with a current IA to speak more with someone who has firsthand experience with the position.

Despite what I thought was a very good Super Day performance (I had scoured the web for insights on the process and had learned all the technical concepts I knew were coming in the interview), I unfortunately was called back about 3 business days after my interview and told that they were moving in a different direction. Overall, it was a very pleasant and educational experience, but I am very disappointed and a bit confused as to why I didn't get an offer. Live and learn, though.

Interview Questions
    • While C|A doesn't expect prospective IA's to have a lot of financial/investment management experience (a ton of their IA's are liberal arts grads from non-finance backgrounds), there is a significant case component to the Super Day. Make sure you understand correlation, standard deviation, and the Sharpe Ratio very well. Being well read on recent financial news is always a good idea as well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Applied online. Received an email about 4 days later requesting a phone screen. Phone interview was very basic, just ran down my resume. Received an email the next day requesting an interview. It was a super day format where you go in, watch a presentation, and 3 30 minute interviews with managers. The rooms were supposed to be asking different questions, however, it seemed like they were all repeating questions. 2/3 rooms were very cold, with questions being rapid fired.

Interview Questions
    • They open the job up to all majors, but wanted a detailed explanation of exactly how they operated.   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

The first round interview was on campus, and the second round was onsite. There are several cases in the interviews: some of them are about investment concepts, others about client management. The onsite interview is something like a “super day”: you get to speak with several consultants and the HR. The interviewers were very friendly!

Junior Associate Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, had an interview at school and was then called back for a "super day" at their office. They took me out to lunch and then put me and two other candidates through an hour long information session followed by 2 hours of interviews with four different people.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of generic questions about your personality and why you wanted to join Cambridge   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2014.

I applied on their website, and they quickly scheduled a phone interview that same week. The phone call was short (~10 min) and was basic "take me through your resume" stuff. I was then invited in to their office with 2 other candidates. They first gave us a ~45 minute presentation on the company, the specific arm we were applying for (MIG), and the position to all 3 of us. Then we had three 30 min individual interviews with a rep from 3 of the 4 subgroups within MIG. It was all behavioral and resume based. They were all friendly enough, but they made sure I gave more in depth answers than I have typically had to. I did not get invited back for the second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral. Be prepared to talk about experience with teamwork, prioritizing work, time management, among a variety of different questions along those lines.   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

The initial interview was very short. It was less than 30 minutes and very to the point. You get the basic tell me about yourself, and than review your resume for a couple minutes. They give you a graph to analyze and you have to answer a couple questions. Graph is very easy, they help you through it if you get stuck.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty straight forward. I would say the hardest question was the one about the graph, it took some brief critical thinking but nothing too demanding.   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

Applied through campus recruiting- first interview was on campus and had short case component but mostly resume based. Second interview was super day format at their office, with four resume interviews and a more difficult case component.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

I applied online and was contacted within a few days by the hiring manager who requested to schedule a phone interview with me that week. The phone interview was approximately 15 minutes long, most questions were conventional where he asked me to talk about myself and my experiences. At the end of the phone call I was asked to come into the office for multiple second round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important factor regarding customer service?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you need to improve most in an office environment?   Answer Question

Junior Associate MIG Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2014.

Pleasantly surprised by the quickness and professionalism of HR. Submitted application over the weekend, contacted over the phone the following week. After phone screen, immediately invited for open house interview a week from the phone call.

In-person interview consisted of 30-40 min presentation with other candidates and a Q&A, followed by three 30-min interviews. Two interviews with HR, and one with an Assistant Manager. All three interviews mostly consisted of behavior questions, along with a peppering of What/When/How from your resume.

The posts here on Glassdoor, especially ones that include questions, are ridiculously accurate. No questions were asked of me that were not covered by the reviews, so kudos to all of you contributing. Just to reiterate, I was asked about directly, or variations of, the following questions: greatest weakness, why I chose my school/major, preferred working style, how to deal with seemingly boring/mundane tasks, definition of great client/customer service, etc.

Lots of young professionals - I was surprised not to see anyone who looks over 30 in the building. Generally, interviewers were very calm, not intimidating, and almost friendly but not quite there. All were very detached both in their presence and their attention to what I was saying. The interviews were very clinical - there was more priority on jotting down what I was saying rather then directly engaging with my answers. Not critically important, but the interviewers appeared somewhat disheveled, as if they sprinted up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I am not sure if this was random or speaks about the work-life balance; it did however make the group of candidates stand out sharply in comparison, but I am sure we felt more confident(we were all wearing suits).

From the questions that I asked the interviewers, I gathered that the guiding priority for filling this position is stability and continuity of the department- i.e. someone who will not try to jump ship for another department (back-office to front-office transitions = highly discouraged). This was brought up twice by different interviewers - take that as you will. The double whammy was that vertical growth is severely limited in this department - around to years before the end of the line. The icing on the cake is that this position offers little transferable hard skills - it is mostly data entry (from spreadsheets to database) into proprietary software (i.e. no one else uses it or cares about it), and making sure that it is correct.