Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (London, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

Fairly straightforward interview process. Starts with a phone interview with a current consulting associate who has a year or two's experience, it's a very relaxed conversation about your background, then some basic questions on investments.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

On campus interview with one interviewer. Following that, had an informational session in the evening at the office. This was followed by an interview day with 5 interviews, the 3rd being a case interview (that is unlike most case interviews for consulting due to the uniqueness of investment consulting). Then they have a consulting associate take you to lunch, which I assume is informally part of the process as well.

Interview Questions

• The case. It is unlike other cases you would see, and involves picking the right set of investment managers based on the information you are given.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Singapore (Singapore)) in December 2010.

Interview

1. 30min phone interview to ascertain your interest in investment consulting and Cambridge Associates 2. In-office interviews comprising of a case study, and interviews with members of the consulting associate team 3. In-office interviews with other members of consulting associate team and investment consultant 4. In-office interviews with one or two investment consultants

Interview Questions

• How does the optimal number of managers differ for different types of asset classes and what does it depend on?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interviews First round was an initial phone screening. Lasted less than half an hour with questions about resume and basic behavioral questions. A few days later, I got a call to come in for the Open House interview round. Open house interview round with multiple candidates together for a round robbin interview. The round started off with a presentation given by current or former Junior Associates to give a background of the company and position. Lasted about 45 minutes. After that was a round of two interviews, one with a manager and one with HR. The manager interviewer didn't seem too personable, and it was a bit difficult getting good back and forth discussion with him. Both interviewers asked the "what is your weakness" question. The answer would be brought up in later interviews. Round after that was about a two hour interview process. It began with additional overview of the position and showing the system that would be used to track information. After that was a round table discussion with three employees working in the position being interviewed for to give an "employee" view of what you would be doing. Then there was a "practical" component that required writing an email based on a list of information needed to be gathered. It ended with an in-person interview with the manager of the group they were considering you for. For me, it was the same manager from the Open House. Did not enjoy the manager interview. The manager was abrasive and seemed over-confident in his abilities. He seemed to treat the position like grunt work but expected a high level of intelligence/capability, mostly trying to prod at any response that he didn't think was good enough. The majority of the time, it felt more like an inquisition than an interview. A few questions bordered on inappropriate, asking about my emotional state (because his abrasive personality got me a bit flustered) and questioning work ethic (I was essentially told I didn't have an appropriate work ethic because I wasn't a college athlete and didn't work two jobs in college to support myself). Overall the interview process was good except for the time spent with the manager I would be working under. Had I not interviewed with him, I probably would have wanted the job. I accepted a job at another company before hearing back about the interview, although I would not have accepted had it been offered.

Interview Questions

• "What are you weaknesses" question from every person I interviewed with.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in September 2011.

Interview

Candidates resumes are screened by HR and are followed up by a phone screen from within the department. If passed through, the candidate is invited in for a first round open-house style during which they interview with one member (hiring manager or team lead) from each functional team. If interested in the candidate, they are asked back for a 2nd and final round during which they have an interview with the assistant managers, manager, panel discussion with team members/peers, complete a writing sample, and have a final concerns session interview during which time the hiring manager presents any remaining concerns. If the candidate satisfies the remaining concerns, then an offer is presented from HR contingent upon background check.

Interview Questions

• Rank your previous two interviews on a scale of 1 to 10. Rank yourself on this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, salary is fixed for entry positions.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied through the LinkedIn posting. Started off with a phone interview which was pretty basic. They asked about my resume and basically just did a walk-through of my credentials. Making sure your resume is legitimate. I was called back by HR to come to an extensive "open-house" where me and a couple other candidates were given a more extensive overview of the company, what group we were interviewing with, and what the job entailed, historically. After the presentations, you go through a rotation of three 30-minute interviews. It was interesting, the order is random, each candidate rotated between the same three guys, who were upper management of the group the job was with. Each guy had different personalities, almost like a weird Good Cop/Bad Cop/Neutral Cop routine. One guy was pretty straight forward, asking about my career goals, some basic situations, as well as gauging how committed to the job I would be (see Most Unexpected question). Another guy was pretty tough, seeming to be purposely not as personable, asking in-depth questions about strengths and weaknesses, as well as how I felt my previous interview went on a scale of 1-10 and why it wasn't a 10 (again, see below). The third guy was very personable, lauding my resume and providing a really good back and forth while discussing my qualifications. I felt this three-way dynamic was probably more pre-orchestrated than anything, as a means of gauging candidates from multiple angles, and was actually pretty creative, if true. Sadly, despite what I thought was a really positive conversation all the way around, I got a "going in another direction" email a few days later.

Interview Questions

• 1 interviewer: Would I have to worry about you leaving for another job in a couple of years after taking the time to train you? (paraphrased)   1 Answer
    • 2nd Interviewer: On a scale of 1-10, how was your last interview? Why not a 10?   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

I went through a phone screening, which is very in depth, but mainly asked behavioral questions. They are trying to determined if you will be a good fit. Got called back for an open house, which lasted about 2 and half hours. Main thing to focus on is the presentation about the company. The interview will be heavy on what you've gained from the presentation.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter at the end of January 2013. After submitting an application and two academic references I had a phone interview with a second-year associate who asked primarily personal/fit questions, nothing technical. The on-site interview in Boston was about a week later. That consisted of three 30-minute interviews, each with 1-2 current associates. The morning culminated with a lunch interview with a fourth CA associate.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult. The crux of the interview centered around a case interview delivering a recommendation to a client about an asset allocation strategy giving a variety of asset classes with varying avg. annual returns and standard deviations given the client's risk/expected return requirements   Answer Question

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in May 2013.

Interview

Filled out online app; called the same day. First step in the process was a screening call. If you pass that step, they invite you in for an informative meeting with multiple candidates (in my case, 2 others) and three different interviews. Those interviews were tough. Each person comes in with a different personality and tries to throw you off guard. For me, this went well and I was invited back for the last step. The last step in the process is being brought into their office to review what you will be doing on a daily basis. After the walk-through, you have a 30 minute interview with the director. Again, tough questions. You cannot "BS" your way through the interviews; Cambridge is checking for inconsistency. I Was offered the job the next day.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?   1 Answer

$$. Seems like an interested opportunity, but the pay is way too low for the location.

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

1. Thirty minute phone interview with relatively basic questions about my background and desire to work with the company. 2. Flew out for an interview that consisted of a 30 minute presentation and three separate 30 minute interviews. The first interviewer quizzed me on the history of the company and their clients, and he also me the names of the two women who gave me the presentation to throw me off a little. The rest of the interview was pretty standard, as he tried to gather info about my background and if I would be a good fit for the role. The remaining two interviews were much the same, and the process got easier and more comfortable with each passing round. 3. I felt the interviews went well, and I was told that I would receive a decision on another round of interviews within one week. After nearly two weeks, I emailed the recruiter and she failed to answer a series of emails until nearly a month later. The reason she gave for me not advancing didn't seem very valid.