Cambridge Associates, LLC

148 candidate interviews

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Investment Performance Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by the recruiter who scheduled a 30 minute phone screening. I was asked basic background questions, resume, experience, why this company and position. After a phone interview that I thought went very well, I was invited to come to DC in a few days to attend an open house (I live 3 hours away via airplane). Knowing that this would be the only chance I have to land this position, I bought a plane ticket and flew down.

The "open house" was attended by five other applicants and consisted of an hour long presentation regarding the company and position. The presentation was followed by 3 rounds of 30 minute 1-1 interviews with different managers. This part was very unorganized, and most of the managers didn't seem to have much interviewing experience. There were many times when I felt that the manager was more nervous then I was. After the 1-1 interviews I was walked to the door and sent on my way.

Despite the lack of organization, the "open house" was very informative and gave me a great sense of where I'd be working, who I'd be working with and what exactly I'd be doing. Upon leaving, I felt that these were some of the best interviews I have had and that there was a fairly good chance I would make it to the next round, or at least get a rejection with some positive feedback.

Before I had even made it home, I recieved an automated rejection email from the recruiter. Being slightly surprised, I sent a follow-up email asking politely for some feedback from the interviews. It's been about 4 months and I still haven't heard back.

To summerize: Initial phone interview followed by a very informative and helpful "open house". Unprofessional way of rejecting candidates IMO but hey, at least they said something.

Interview Questions

• Name three character traits you need to badly improve upon   View Answer
  • If you were me, what question would you ask you   View Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Junior Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an employment agency who wanted me to interview for the position, and accepted. Next, the company contacted me within a few days for a phone interview, lasting only about ten minutes. They asked very basic questions and were short on answers to my questions. The following week, I went into the Arlington, VA branch for another interview/presentation, where another candidate was also interviewing. After, we were taken for two 1:1 interviews, where we were asked a range of questions--negative interview tactics were used, attempting to find and exploit inconsistencies in our answers.

Interview Question – What are three personal weaknesses that you have?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview went very well. Met 3 different people for in person interviews. 2 of the 3 interviewers were absolutely terrible and extremely arrogant. Asked boring standard questions i.e. What is your biggest weakness?

Interview Question – Name 2 of your biggest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The company environment seemed arrogant and saw little to no room for growth.

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – standard fit questions, mainly for the first round. also a mini case at the about asset management.

Interview Question – nothing out of the ordinary. why investment consulting, why CA, how does your background make you a good fit etc.   Answer Question

Investment Performance Associate Interview

Investment Performance Associate
Arlington, VA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in April 2010.

Interview Details – I initially applied online and got a phone call two days later. The HR rep set up an informational phone interview. The questions were very basic and included a review of my resume. Then I was invited to interview on-site. They did not pay for travel or rooming expenses. The on-site interview consisted of two group presentations and three one-on-one interviews with questions ranging from basic resume information to simple finance/capital markets questions.

Interview Question – Why do bond prices and bond yields move inversely?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

Investment Performance Junior Analyst
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – Really disappointed with this experience. I was looking to transition to a financial or investment analyst position. I heard about Cambridge and felt that it would be a really great fit. I had some related experience. I got an e-mail from a recruiter asking for dates and times for a phone screen and i responded back. A week past and I never heard back from her. I followed up with another e-mail and we finally set up a screen. I had a phone screen and then went in for an open house. Open house was a presentation. I had 3 interviews with a total of 4 individuals. They all asked the same basic behavioral questions. I asked for business cards (so I could send appropriate thank-you's) and only 1 person had one. There was also a case study basically asking you to summarize about a 20 page report (mostly graphs and charts) into a memo to the client. We were told we would probably hear back by the end of the week. I never received a courtesy e-mail or phone call stating that I was not selected for the next round of interviews.

Interview Question – None. They were all basic.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Junior Associate
Arlington, VA

Interview Details – 1st Stage: You will be contacted by HR for a general phone screening. They tend to pick up pretty fast on resumes so you will probably get a call within a few days after submission.

2nd Stage: In-house interview. They refer to this as their "Open House." This consists of a 40 minute presentation on the company, followed by two interviews with two or three managers within the manager information group. This stage is nothing special; they are simply trying to see if you are competent enough to work at Cambridge.

3rd Stage: In-house interview. You will meet with the director of the MIG. This meeting will make or break your entire interview process. The interview will be pointed and probing, especially of your past work history. They are trying to cultivate a more permanent and proficient workforce that will remain with the company for years. They have already decided that you are competent enough for the job; your sole objective at this stage will be to convince the director that you will stay in the position for an extended amount of time, will be happy in the position, and are willing to advance through the ranks. Make sure you highlight your commitment to remaining within the MIG. Be able to explain any past separation from your previous work and your reasons for seeking a new position.

This is followed by another presentation on the company, the MIG, and the position more specifically. Afterwards, you will meet with two groups of two junior associates who presently have the position for which you are applying. This is a very casual step for you to get a feel for the position. Lastly, you will do a 30-minute writing exercise on MS Word. This consists of drafting an email to an investment manager using a set of instructions. It's nothing difficult.

At the end you will have a short wrap-up session. Here you will be made to address any concerns they may have as a final effort to convince them that you are fit for the position.

You will be contacted within a day or two with their decision. They have a pretty fast and professional turnaround on this.

Interview Questions

Consulting Associate

Interview Details – Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Interview Question – Was asked about the Sharpe Ratio.   Answer Question

Charlottesville, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via my University's career services. About a week later, CA reached out to me saying they'd like to interview me on Grounds. The first round interview is relatively short at 30 minutes and not very technical. They asked the typical behavioral questions such as why do you want to go into financial consulting, why CA specifically, and they asked a basic portfolio theory question at the end.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was why CA. The why financial consulting was easy bc it's a job between i-banking and strategy consulting and provides a good balance, but I'm not even aware of competing financial consulting firms.   View Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through their careers website and got an email asking for a phone interview about 2 weeks later. I was scheduled to interview with a Senior Recruiter but she was going to be out the week I was suppose to interview, so she sent the Assistant Director of Recruiting to do the interview.

The interview was literally less than 10 minutes and the woman didn't seem at all interested in getting to know me. She seemed like she wasn't prepared with enough questions. She literally asked me about 2 of the jobs on my resume and if I was able to work without sponsorship. No behavioral questions at all. She asked me how I found the position and that was probably the hardest question she asked me... She didn't describe the position to me or give an introduction about the company. At the end, she asked me if I had any questions for her and I was so confused because it seemed like such a short interview that I only asked her 2 questions, thinking that she would go into further detail about the position and ask me more questions.

I thought that such an established firm would have a more organized interviewing system. This woman didn't seem to prepare to ask me anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't call me back.

Interview Question – Nothing. She didn't really ask me anything.   Answer Question