Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by an employment agency who wanted me to interview for the position, and accepted. Next, the company contacted me within a few days for a phone interview, lasting only about ten minutes. They asked very basic questions and were short on answers to my questions. The following week, I went into the Arlington, VA branch for another interview/presentation, where another candidate was also interviewing. After, we were taken for two 1:1 interviews, where we were asked a range of questions--negative interview tactics were used, attempting to find and exploit inconsistencies in our answers.

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

I was initially contacted by the recruiter who scheduled a 30 minute phone screening. I was asked basic background questions, resume, experience, why this company and position. After a phone interview that I thought went very well, I was invited to come to DC in a few days to attend an open house (I live 3 hours away via airplane). Knowing that this would be the only chance I have to land this position, I bought a plane ticket and flew down. The "open house" was attended by five other applicants and consisted of an hour long presentation regarding the company and position. The presentation was followed by 3 rounds of 30 minute 1-1 interviews with different managers. This part was very unorganized, and most of the managers didn't seem to have much interviewing experience. There were many times when I felt that the manager was more nervous then I was. After the 1-1 interviews I was walked to the door and sent on my way. Despite the lack of organization, the "open house" was very informative and gave me a great sense of where I'd be working, who I'd be working with and what exactly I'd be doing. Upon leaving, I felt that these were some of the best interviews I have had and that there was a fairly good chance I would make it to the next round, or at least get a rejection with some positive feedback. Before I had even made it home, I recieved an automated rejection email from the recruiter. Being slightly surprised, I sent a follow-up email asking politely for some feedback from the interviews. It's been about 4 months and I still haven't heard back. To summerize: Initial phone interview followed by a very informative and helpful "open house". Unprofessional way of rejecting candidates IMO but hey, at least they said something.

Interview Questions

• Name three character traits you need to badly improve upon   1 Answer
    • If you were me, what question would you ask you   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied and was given a first-round interview through on-campus recruiting. The interview was 1-on-1 and lasted for about half an hour, mostly behavorial-type questions about why I was interested in the job, as well as some questions about experiences on my resume. Towards the end of the interview, I was given a simple chart and asked to provide an recommendation to a fictional client based on data in the graph. Very straight-forward. I was offered a spot in a full day final interview in the company's Boston office, but I declined.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in being a Consulting Associate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Charlottesville, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied via my University's career services. About a week later, CA reached out to me saying they'd like to interview me on Grounds. The first round interview is relatively short at 30 minutes and not very technical. They asked the typical behavioral questions such as why do you want to go into financial consulting, why CA specifically, and they asked a basic portfolio theory question at the end.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was why CA. The why financial consulting was easy bc it's a job between i-banking and strategy consulting and provides a good balance, but I'm not even aware of competing financial consulting firms.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through campus career center. Half-hour on-campus interview, followed by interview day in Boston office that I declined. The interview was a few standard questions (Why Cambridge, why investment consulting) followed by a brief case study. The interviewer was very friendly and laid-back. Personality fit definitely seemed to be a focus.

Interview Questions

• The case study was pretty simple, just a risk/return graph with different hypothetical managers graphed. The goal was to determine which manager should be replaced (i.e., lowest return/risk ratio).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through my school's job board. They had two individuals come to campus to conduct interviews. The night before, they hosted a kind of meet-and-greet so we were able to meet the other students that got an interview and received a brief overview of the company. The first interview was pretty straightforward. Went through my resume then presented with some charts that Associates have to deal with on a regular basis. I had to draw intuitions from the information given. I didn't have extensive experience in investments so I think it was more a matter of how I think on my feet and presentation. The final round was on-site with 5 back-to-back interviews. A couple interviewers dealt with aspects from my resume (academics, extracurriculars), one conducted a similar activity from the first interview, one gave me an article to analyze, and one had me prepare a 3 minute presentation from a booklet of charts and graphs. It was a pretty smooth process and I would give a thumbs up EXCEPT they never got back to me concerning my application. I had to approach the recruiter after a few weeks to get any sort of communication from them. I expected better considering they were on-campus recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Prepare a 3-minute presentation on your recommended portfolio. You had access to the performances of a couple different portfolios, as well as trends in stocks/bonds/etc.   1 Answer

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Really disappointed with this experience. I was looking to transition to a financial or investment analyst position. I heard about Cambridge and felt that it would be a really great fit. I had some related experience. I got an e-mail from a recruiter asking for dates and times for a phone screen and i responded back. A week past and I never heard back from her. I followed up with another e-mail and we finally set up a screen. I had a phone screen and then went in for an open house. Open house was a presentation. I had 3 interviews with a total of 4 individuals. They all asked the same basic behavioral questions. I asked for business cards (so I could send appropriate thank-you's) and only 1 person had one. There was also a case study basically asking you to summarize about a 20 page report (mostly graphs and charts) into a memo to the client. We were told we would probably hear back by the end of the week. I never received a courtesy e-mail or phone call stating that I was not selected for the next round of interviews.

Investment Performance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in April 2010.

Interview

I initially applied online and got a phone call two days later. The HR rep set up an informational phone interview. The questions were very basic and included a review of my resume. Then I was invited to interview on-site. They did not pay for travel or rooming expenses. The on-site interview consisted of two group presentations and three one-on-one interviews with questions ranging from basic resume information to simple finance/capital markets questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do bond prices and bond yields move inversely?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by Super Day at their office. 4 interviews. 1 is resume based, 2 are cases, and the final one is why CA. After the 4 interviews, they take you out to lunch. CA was extremely unprofessional throughout the interview process. I was asked for references and CA never contacted them. Additionally, I emailed HR multiple times to get an update on a decision, which was promised by early November. When they did finally reply in December, they unsurprisingly declined to give me an offer.

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (London, ON (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

Very enjoyable interview process, everyone was extremely friendly and did their utmost to represent what the job entails and what the firm has to offer. However, they also repeatedly enquire as to whether you would be committed enough to do what is essentially research work (looking at graphs, researching data etc.) and deal with no clear career path or development.

Interview Questions

• How would you shape a 100 million pound portfolio for a client.   1 Answer