Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated Feb 24, 2015

Investment Performance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in April 2010.

I initially applied online and got a phone call two days later. The HR rep set up an informational phone interview. The questions were very basic and included a review of my resume. Then I was invited to interview on-site. They did not pay for travel or rooming expenses. The on-site interview consisted of two group presentations and three one-on-one interviews with questions ranging from basic resume information to simple finance/capital markets questions.

No negotiations.

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Really disappointed with this experience. I was looking to transition to a financial or investment analyst position. I heard about Cambridge and felt that it would be a really great fit. I had some related experience. I got an e-mail from a recruiter asking for dates and times for a phone screen and i responded back. A week past and I never heard back from her. I followed up with another e-mail and we finally set up a screen. I had a phone screen and then went in for an open house. Open house was a presentation. I had 3 interviews with a total of 4 individuals. They all asked the same basic behavioral questions. I asked for business cards (so I could send appropriate thank-you's) and only 1 person had one. There was also a case study basically asking you to summarize about a 20 page report (mostly graphs and charts) into a memo to the client. We were told we would probably hear back by the end of the week. I never received a courtesy e-mail or phone call stating that I was not selected for the next round of interviews.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

1st Stage: You will be contacted by HR for a general phone screening. They tend to pick up pretty fast on resumes so you will probably get a call within a few days after submission.

2nd Stage: In-house interview. They refer to this as their "Open House." This consists of a 40 minute presentation on the company, followed by two interviews with two or three managers within the manager information group. This stage is nothing special; they are simply trying to see if you are competent enough to work at Cambridge.

3rd Stage: In-house interview. You will meet with the director of the MIG. This meeting will make or break your entire interview process. The interview will be pointed and probing, especially of your past work history. They are trying to cultivate a more permanent and proficient workforce that will remain with the company for years. They have already decided that you are competent enough for the job; your sole objective at this stage will be to convince the director that you will stay in the position for an extended amount of time, will be happy in the position, and are willing to advance through the ranks. Make sure you highlight your commitment to remaining within the MIG. Be able to explain any past separation from your previous work and your reasons for seeking a new position.

This is followed by another presentation on the company, the MIG, and the position more specifically. Afterwards, you will meet with two groups of two junior associates who presently have the position for which you are applying. This is a very casual step for you to get a feel for the position. Lastly, you will do a 30-minute writing exercise on MS Word. This consists of drafting an email to an investment manager using a set of instructions. It's nothing difficult.

At the end you will have a short wrap-up session. Here you will be made to address any concerns they may have as a final effort to convince them that you are fit for the position.

You will be contacted within a day or two with their decision. They have a pretty fast and professional turnaround on this.

Interview Questions
    • What part of the job do you think you would have the most difficulty doing?   Answer Question
    • Give me a two minute ad campaign on yourself.   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the most uninteresting part of the job?   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

I applied via my University's career services. About a week later, CA reached out to me saying they'd like to interview me on Grounds. The first round interview is relatively short at 30 minutes and not very technical. They asked the typical behavioral questions such as why do you want to go into financial consulting, why CA specifically, and they asked a basic portfolio theory question at the end.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was why CA. The why financial consulting was easy bc it's a job between i-banking and strategy consulting and provides a good balance, but I'm not even aware of competing financial consulting firms.   View Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2013.

I applied online through their careers website and got an email asking for a phone interview about 2 weeks later. I was scheduled to interview with a Senior Recruiter but she was going to be out the week I was suppose to interview, so she sent the Assistant Director of Recruiting to do the interview.

The interview was literally less than 10 minutes and the woman didn't seem at all interested in getting to know me. She seemed like she wasn't prepared with enough questions. She literally asked me about 2 of the jobs on my resume and if I was able to work without sponsorship. No behavioral questions at all. She asked me how I found the position and that was probably the hardest question she asked me... She didn't describe the position to me or give an introduction about the company. At the end, she asked me if I had any questions for her and I was so confused because it seemed like such a short interview that I only asked her 2 questions, thinking that she would go into further detail about the position and ask me more questions.

I thought that such an established firm would have a more organized interviewing system. This woman didn't seem to prepare to ask me anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't call me back.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2013.

Standard Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • Standard run me through your resume qns, strengths, motivations, what do you know about the firm etc.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2011.

The interview was set up through my university. Usually you have a behavioral interview, and then if you get accepted you go through a superday round of interviews. Questions consisted of whats your biggest weakness and etc.

Interview Questions
    • Whats one thing about you that is not on your resume that you think I should know about you   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Applied through my school's job board. They had two individuals come to campus to conduct interviews. The night before, they hosted a kind of meet-and-greet so we were able to meet the other students that got an interview and received a brief overview of the company.

The first interview was pretty straightforward. Went through my resume then presented with some charts that Associates have to deal with on a regular basis. I had to draw intuitions from the information given. I didn't have extensive experience in investments so I think it was more a matter of how I think on my feet and presentation.

The final round was on-site with 5 back-to-back interviews. A couple interviewers dealt with aspects from my resume (academics, extracurriculars), one conducted a similar activity from the first interview, one gave me an article to analyze, and one had me prepare a 3 minute presentation from a booklet of charts and graphs.

It was a pretty smooth process and I would give a thumbs up EXCEPT they never got back to me concerning my application. I had to approach the recruiter after a few weeks to get any sort of communication from them. I expected better considering they were on-campus recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare a 3-minute presentation on your recommended portfolio. You had access to the performances of a couple different portfolios, as well as trends in stocks/bonds/etc.   View Answer

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Applied through campus career center. Half-hour on-campus interview, followed by interview day in Boston office that I declined. The interview was a few standard questions (Why Cambridge, why investment consulting) followed by a brief case study. The interviewer was very friendly and laid-back. Personality fit definitely seemed to be a focus.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was pretty simple, just a risk/return graph with different hypothetical managers graphed. The goal was to determine which manager should be replaced (i.e., lowest return/risk ratio).   Answer Question