Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

Junior Associate Interview

Did a phone screen which ran over the resume. Didn't hear back for two weeks and followed up to find out I hadn't been selected for another round.

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in May 2013.

Filled out online app; called the same day. First step in the process was a screening call. If you pass that step, they invite you in for an informative meeting with multiple candidates (in my case, 2 others) and three different interviews.

Those interviews were tough. Each person comes in with a different personality and tries to throw you off guard. For me, this went well and I was invited back for the last step.

The last step in the process is being brought into their office to review what you will be doing on a daily basis. After the walk-through, you have a 30 minute interview with the director. Again, tough questions. You cannot "BS" your way through the interviews; Cambridge is checking for inconsistency.

I Was offered the job the next day.

Interview Questions

$$. Seems like an interested opportunity, but the pay is way too low for the location.

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Two interviews. First with manager of department and second was with director and co-workers. Asked questions about my resume and technologies on it. Very modern offices and semi-formal dressed staff (business casual). One staff member asked tough questions, rest were general personality and fit questions.

Interview Questions

Stronger fit at different company.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2013.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter at the end of January 2013. After submitting an application and two academic references I had a phone interview with a second-year associate who asked primarily personal/fit questions, nothing technical. The on-site interview in Boston was about a week later. That consisted of three 30-minute interviews, each with 1-2 current associates. The morning culminated with a lunch interview with a fourth CA associate.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult. The crux of the interview centered around a case interview delivering a recommendation to a client about an asset allocation strategy giving a variety of asset classes with varying avg. annual returns and standard deviations given the client's risk/expected return requirements   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2013.

Multiple rounds of interviews

First round was an initial phone screening. Lasted less than half an hour with questions about resume and basic behavioral questions. A few days later, I got a call to come in for the Open House interview round.

Open house interview round with multiple candidates together for a round robbin interview. The round started off with a presentation given by current or former Junior Associates to give a background of the company and position. Lasted about 45 minutes. After that was a round of two interviews, one with a manager and one with HR. The manager interviewer didn't seem too personable, and it was a bit difficult getting good back and forth discussion with him. Both interviewers asked the "what is your weakness" question. The answer would be brought up in later interviews.

Round after that was about a two hour interview process. It began with additional overview of the position and showing the system that would be used to track information. After that was a round table discussion with three employees working in the position being interviewed for to give an "employee" view of what you would be doing. Then there was a "practical" component that required writing an email based on a list of information needed to be gathered. It ended with an in-person interview with the manager of the group they were considering you for. For me, it was the same manager from the Open House.

Did not enjoy the manager interview. The manager was abrasive and seemed over-confident in his abilities. He seemed to treat the position like grunt work but expected a high level of intelligence/capability, mostly trying to prod at any response that he didn't think was good enough. The majority of the time, it felt more like an inquisition than an interview. A few questions bordered on inappropriate, asking about my emotional state (because his abrasive personality got me a bit flustered) and questioning work ethic (I was essentially told I didn't have an appropriate work ethic because I wasn't a college athlete and didn't work two jobs in college to support myself).

Overall the interview process was good except for the time spent with the manager I would be working under. Had I not interviewed with him, I probably would have wanted the job. I accepted a job at another company before hearing back about the interview, although I would not have accepted had it been offered.

Interview Questions
    • "What are you weaknesses" question from every person I interviewed with.   Answer Question

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2013.

Phone interview was extremely brief. The guy seemed completely uninterested and not very personable. In person interviews wen a lot better the people seemed nicer and interested by what I had to say. There were two 30 min interviews back to back. The second interview that day has two individuals in it which was a little intimidating but I thought I handled it well.

Investment Performance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2013.

Standard interview. Spoke with a member of recruting team for a phone interview and then brought in for a series of interviews. One interview was with a member of recruting and it was easy behavioral questions. The next was with a manager which I found to be very confusing at times. She didnt have a good feel for the outlook and often times seem flustered and/or lying about the expectations. The 3rd interview was with the director. His interview was very intense and even teetered toward unprofssional at times.

Interview Questions
    • How was the past interview on a scale from 1-10. Very bizarre   Answer Question

The vibe I got from the last 2 interviewers was not good. Does not look like they have a solid plan for the future and I dont think it is a stable department. Friend who works there says that they plan to automate everything and the department will be defunct in 3 years

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2013.

Submitted resume, cover letter, and transcript through university's career portal. Was contacted within a week via email from the head recruiter based out of their Boston office. Arranged for a phone interview/screening within a week of the email. Phone interview took place on a weekday morning and was projected to last for 20-30 minutes, ended up chatting with the interviewer (a fully-time associate at the office applied) for about 45 minutes total about sports and a their recent company ski trip. Received notification of making it through to the final round within another week. Final round interview took place at their Menlo Park office and consisted of 3 back-to-back interviews (2 behavioral and 1 case) and a 4th "lunch" which seemed to be a sort of fit interview where an associate went to lunch with you. It seemed to check for how well you would function in a social setting with a company associate. Behavioral interviews were fairly standard, no odd questions, mostly based around what you hoped to get out of the company and what you could contribute. Case interview was very low-stress and collaborative. Potentially dinged because of a lack of demonstrated interest in their direct line of work (financial consulting for institutional endowments).

Interview Questions
    • How long do you expect to stay with this company?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2013.

I went through a phone screening, which is very in depth, but mainly asked behavioral questions. They are trying to determined if you will be a good fit. Got called back for an open house, which lasted about 2 and half hours. Main thing to focus on is the presentation about the company. The interview will be heavy on what you've gained from the presentation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in January 2013.

Applied through the LinkedIn posting.

Started off with a phone interview which was pretty basic. They asked about my resume and basically just did a walk-through of my credentials. Making sure your resume is legitimate.

I was called back by HR to come to an extensive "open-house" where me and a couple other candidates were given a more extensive overview of the company, what group we were interviewing with, and what the job entailed, historically.

After the presentations, you go through a rotation of three 30-minute interviews. It was interesting, the order is random, each candidate rotated between the same three guys, who were upper management of the group the job was with. Each guy had different personalities, almost like a weird Good Cop/Bad Cop/Neutral Cop routine. One guy was pretty straight forward, asking about my career goals, some basic situations, as well as gauging how committed to the job I would be (see Most Unexpected question). Another guy was pretty tough, seeming to be purposely not as personable, asking in-depth questions about strengths and weaknesses, as well as how I felt my previous interview went on a scale of 1-10 and why it wasn't a 10 (again, see below). The third guy was very personable, lauding my resume and providing a really good back and forth while discussing my qualifications.

I felt this three-way dynamic was probably more pre-orchestrated than anything, as a means of gauging candidates from multiple angles, and was actually pretty creative, if true.

Sadly, despite what I thought was a really positive conversation all the way around, I got a "going in another direction" email a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • 1 interviewer: Would I have to worry about you leaving for another job in a couple of years after taking the time to train you? (paraphrased)   View Answer
    • 2nd Interviewer: On a scale of 1-10, how was your last interview? Why not a 10?   View Answer