Cambridge Associates, LLC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Consulting Associate Interview

Consulting Associate
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted an application and cover letter via campus recruiting. First had an on-campus interview with a 23-year-old Consulting Associate. Very informal. Then had a sort of super-day at their offices in Boston. It consisted of five 30-45 minute interviews, and then an informal lunch off-site with a current Consulting associate. The interviews were as follows:
1. Behavioral - about academic background
2. Behavioral - about work experience
3. A sort of case study. You are given a hypothetical client institution (University) and asked how you would develop a an investment strategy that suits their goals
4. You are handed a short article about how Harvard, Yale, and Stanford have changed their investment strategies since the financial crisis. You are asked to read, analyze, and discuss the article. Not a high pressure environment, though.
5. 30 minute interview about why you want to work at Cambridge, what your goals are, etc

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in investment consulting? Have you applied to other investment consulting companies?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in January 2013.

Interview Details – An initial telephone screening was followed promptly by an interview. Interview was comprised of a presentation about the company followed by three 30-minute interviews with different department managers. Two of the three interviewers appeared completely disinterested, one displaying an arrogance that bordered on rude, while only the third showed any kind of interest in, or euthusiasm, for my application/interview.

Interview Question – If you had to describe yourself as an animal, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Junior Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2013.

Interview Details – I went through a phone screening, which is very in depth, but mainly asked behavioral questions. They are trying to determined if you will be a good fit. Got called back for an open house, which lasted about 2 and half hours. Main thing to focus on is the presentation about the company. The interview will be heavy on what you've gained from the presentation.

Interview Question – What is your definition of good customer service?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume, cover letter, and transcript through university's career portal. Was contacted within a week via email from the head recruiter based out of their Boston office. Arranged for a phone interview/screening within a week of the email. Phone interview took place on a weekday morning and was projected to last for 20-30 minutes, ended up chatting with the interviewer (a fully-time associate at the office applied) for about 45 minutes total about sports and a their recent company ski trip. Received notification of making it through to the final round within another week. Final round interview took place at their Menlo Park office and consisted of 3 back-to-back interviews (2 behavioral and 1 case) and a 4th "lunch" which seemed to be a sort of fit interview where an associate went to lunch with you. It seemed to check for how well you would function in a social setting with a company associate. Behavioral interviews were fairly standard, no odd questions, mostly based around what you hoped to get out of the company and what you could contribute. Case interview was very low-stress and collaborative. Potentially dinged because of a lack of demonstrated interest in their direct line of work (financial consulting for institutional endowments).

Interview Question – How long do you expect to stay with this company?   View Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Junior Associate
Arlington, VA

Interview Details – Applied through the LinkedIn posting.

Started off with a phone interview which was pretty basic. They asked about my resume and basically just did a walk-through of my credentials. Making sure your resume is legitimate.

I was called back by HR to come to an extensive "open-house" where me and a couple other candidates were given a more extensive overview of the company, what group we were interviewing with, and what the job entailed, historically.

After the presentations, you go through a rotation of three 30-minute interviews. It was interesting, the order is random, each candidate rotated between the same three guys, who were upper management of the group the job was with. Each guy had different personalities, almost like a weird Good Cop/Bad Cop/Neutral Cop routine. One guy was pretty straight forward, asking about my career goals, some basic situations, as well as gauging how committed to the job I would be (see Most Unexpected question). Another guy was pretty tough, seeming to be purposely not as personable, asking in-depth questions about strengths and weaknesses, as well as how I felt my previous interview went on a scale of 1-10 and why it wasn't a 10 (again, see below). The third guy was very personable, lauding my resume and providing a really good back and forth while discussing my qualifications.

I felt this three-way dynamic was probably more pre-orchestrated than anything, as a means of gauging candidates from multiple angles, and was actually pretty creative, if true.

Sadly, despite what I thought was a really positive conversation all the way around, I got a "going in another direction" email a few days later.

Interview Questions

• 1 interviewer: Would I have to worry about you leaving for another job in a couple of years after taking the time to train you? (paraphrased)   View Answer
  • 2nd Interviewer: On a scale of 1-10, how was your last interview? Why not a 10?   View Answer

Investment Performance Associate Interview

Investment Performance Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied to the company based on their ad. Received message back in a few days asking a few basic questions. After that was invited in for interview. Met with 3-4 supervisors. Seemed straightforward and pleasant to deal with.
Several week after that received offer

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had to resolve a problem at work.   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
Arlington, VA

I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 3 on-site 1:1 interviews going over your resume and background-- very basic. Final round on-site interview was very long. Some of it was informational and you had the opportunity to speak with current associates which was great. Unfortunately, some of the 'upper level' people you interview with at this stage ask some strange questions and aren't so nice. Would not have wanted to work for them.

Interview Question – If you were an animal, what animal would you be?   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Consulting Associate
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2012.

Interview Details – Just had a first round interview at a recruiting event. Interviewer was extremely friendly and nice. It was just a 30 minute interview during which we went through my resume and talked about me. They said it would take 2 weeks to hear back but I still have not heart anything 2 months later.

Interview Question – I was given a graph and asked to pick which producers I would choose based on the graph   Answer Question

Junior Associate - Manager Information Group Interview

Junior Associate - Manager Information Group
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was very long, but nothing too difficult. Process consisted of initial phone interview, followed by a lengthy in-person interview with three different managers. If you pass the in-person interview, the next step is another long in-person interview with your would-be supervisor along with a written assessment.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, one with HR, another with hiring manager. In person interview. Final interview with director.

Interview Question – What do we do at this office?   Answer Question