Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Phone interview, skype interview, in person interview, follow up final phone interview. Phone interview was basic, the in person interviews tried to bring out any skepticism created in skype interview. More of "are you a good fit" than "are you qualified".

Interview Questions
    • Identify three biggest weaknesses - won't take half-assed answers. Make you dig for this. Also had a pretty straight forward writing piece. Just to see how professional you can be in writing an email.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - strict on pay, start date was negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Submitted an application and cover letter via campus recruiting. First had an on-campus interview with a 23-year-old Consulting Associate. Very informal. Then had a sort of super-day at their offices in Boston. It consisted of five 30-45 minute interviews, and then an informal lunch off-site with a current Consulting associate. The interviews were as follows:
    1. Behavioral - about academic background
    2. Behavioral - about work experience
    3. A sort of case study. You are given a hypothetical client institution (University) and asked how you would develop a an investment strategy that suits their goals
    4. You are handed a short article about how Harvard, Yale, and Stanford have changed their investment strategies since the financial crisis. You are asked to read, analyze, and discuss the article. Not a high pressure environment, though.
    5. 30 minute interview about why you want to work at Cambridge, what your goals are, etc

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in investment consulting? Have you applied to other investment consulting companies?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Applied through my school's job board. They had two individuals come to campus to conduct interviews. The night before, they hosted a kind of meet-and-greet so we were able to meet the other students that got an interview and received a brief overview of the company.

The first interview was pretty straightforward. Went through my resume then presented with some charts that Associates have to deal with on a regular basis. I had to draw intuitions from the information given. I didn't have extensive experience in investments so I think it was more a matter of how I think on my feet and presentation.

The final round was on-site with 5 back-to-back interviews. A couple interviewers dealt with aspects from my resume (academics, extracurriculars), one conducted a similar activity from the first interview, one gave me an article to analyze, and one had me prepare a 3 minute presentation from a booklet of charts and graphs.

It was a pretty smooth process and I would give a thumbs up EXCEPT they never got back to me concerning my application. I had to approach the recruiter after a few weeks to get any sort of communication from them. I expected better considering they were on-campus recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare a 3-minute presentation on your recommended portfolio. You had access to the performances of a couple different portfolios, as well as trends in stocks/bonds/etc.   View Answer

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Applied through campus career center. Half-hour on-campus interview, followed by interview day in Boston office that I declined. The interview was a few standard questions (Why Cambridge, why investment consulting) followed by a brief case study. The interviewer was very friendly and laid-back. Personality fit definitely seemed to be a focus.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was pretty simple, just a risk/return graph with different hypothetical managers graphed. The goal was to determine which manager should be replaced (i.e., lowest return/risk ratio).   Answer Question

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Pretty standard. Case study for last part of final interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

1st Stage: You will be contacted by HR for a general phone screening. They tend to pick up pretty fast on resumes so you will probably get a call within a few days after submission.

2nd Stage: In-house interview. They refer to this as their "Open House." This consists of a 40 minute presentation on the company, followed by two interviews with two or three managers within the manager information group. This stage is nothing special; they are simply trying to see if you are competent enough to work at Cambridge.

3rd Stage: In-house interview. You will meet with the director of the MIG. This meeting will make or break your entire interview process. The interview will be pointed and probing, especially of your past work history. They are trying to cultivate a more permanent and proficient workforce that will remain with the company for years. They have already decided that you are competent enough for the job; your sole objective at this stage will be to convince the director that you will stay in the position for an extended amount of time, will be happy in the position, and are willing to advance through the ranks. Make sure you highlight your commitment to remaining within the MIG. Be able to explain any past separation from your previous work and your reasons for seeking a new position.

This is followed by another presentation on the company, the MIG, and the position more specifically. Afterwards, you will meet with two groups of two junior associates who presently have the position for which you are applying. This is a very casual step for you to get a feel for the position. Lastly, you will do a 30-minute writing exercise on MS Word. This consists of drafting an email to an investment manager using a set of instructions. It's nothing difficult.

At the end you will have a short wrap-up session. Here you will be made to address any concerns they may have as a final effort to convince them that you are fit for the position.

You will be contacted within a day or two with their decision. They have a pretty fast and professional turnaround on this.

Interview Questions
    • What part of the job do you think you would have the most difficulty doing?   Answer Question
    • Give me a two minute ad campaign on yourself.   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the most uninteresting part of the job?   Answer Question

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Really disappointed with this experience. I was looking to transition to a financial or investment analyst position. I heard about Cambridge and felt that it would be a really great fit. I had some related experience. I got an e-mail from a recruiter asking for dates and times for a phone screen and i responded back. A week past and I never heard back from her. I followed up with another e-mail and we finally set up a screen. I had a phone screen and then went in for an open house. Open house was a presentation. I had 3 interviews with a total of 4 individuals. They all asked the same basic behavioral questions. I asked for business cards (so I could send appropriate thank-you's) and only 1 person had one. There was also a case study basically asking you to summarize about a 20 page report (mostly graphs and charts) into a memo to the client. We were told we would probably hear back by the end of the week. I never received a courtesy e-mail or phone call stating that I was not selected for the next round of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2012.

First step was a phone interview, which asked the standard initial interview questions... Tell me about yourself, etc.

The next step is an open house at their office in Arlington, Virginia. As a heads up, they don't reimburse any part of your travel expenses so be prepared. We had a short 45-60 minute presentation about the company, followed by 3 back to back interviews with the management team.

Out of the three interviews, the most difficult was easily with Casey, who is the director of the group. He asked non-stop questions, firing one after another, and quite frankly wasn't very friendly at all.

I'm not that disappointed that I did not get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2012.

Phone interview, phase one. Standard questions fairly easy.

Second there is a group interview following a presentation, mostly to see if you can handle yourself and stressful questions.

Finally here was another presentation two group discussion panels, two interviews and a writing sample. Mostly the last part was to make sure that you were a good fit for the job and that long term you would be happy in the position. The manager wasn't convinced i would last more than two years and I didn't get the job.

Junior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2012.

Phone interview, 3 on-site 1:1 interviews going over your resume and background-- very basic. Final round on-site interview was very long. Some of it was informational and you had the opportunity to speak with current associates which was great. Unfortunately, some of the 'upper level' people you interview with at this stage ask some strange questions and aren't so nice. Would not have wanted to work for them.