Cambridge Associates, LLC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – Phone interview, skype interview, in person interview, follow up final phone interview. Phone interview was basic, the in person interviews tried to bring out any skepticism created in skype interview. More of "are you a good fit" than "are you qualified".

Interview Question – Identify three biggest weaknesses - won't take half-assed answers. Make you dig for this. Also had a pretty straight forward writing piece. Just to see how professional you can be in writing an email.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - strict on pay, start date was negotiable.

Arlington, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2012.

Interview Details – First step was a phone interview, which asked the standard initial interview questions... Tell me about yourself, etc.

The next step is an open house at their office in Arlington, Virginia. As a heads up, they don't reimburse any part of your travel expenses so be prepared. We had a short 45-60 minute presentation about the company, followed by 3 back to back interviews with the management team.

Out of the three interviews, the most difficult was easily with Casey, who is the director of the group. He asked non-stop questions, firing one after another, and quite frankly wasn't very friendly at all.

I'm not that disappointed that I did not get an offer.

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – 1st Stage: You will be contacted by HR for a general phone screening. They tend to pick up pretty fast on resumes so you will probably get a call within a few days after submission.

2nd Stage: In-house interview. They refer to this as their "Open House." This consists of a 40 minute presentation on the company, followed by two interviews with two or three managers within the manager information group. This stage is nothing special; they are simply trying to see if you are competent enough to work at Cambridge.

3rd Stage: In-house interview. You will meet with the director of the MIG. This meeting will make or break your entire interview process. The interview will be pointed and probing, especially of your past work history. They are trying to cultivate a more permanent and proficient workforce that will remain with the company for years. They have already decided that you are competent enough for the job; your sole objective at this stage will be to convince the director that you will stay in the position for an extended amount of time, will be happy in the position, and are willing to advance through the ranks. Make sure you highlight your commitment to remaining within the MIG. Be able to explain any past separation from your previous work and your reasons for seeking a new position.

This is followed by another presentation on the company, the MIG, and the position more specifically. Afterwards, you will meet with two groups of two junior associates who presently have the position for which you are applying. This is a very casual step for you to get a feel for the position. Lastly, you will do a 30-minute writing exercise on MS Word. This consists of drafting an email to an investment manager using a set of instructions. It's nothing difficult.

At the end you will have a short wrap-up session. Here you will be made to address any concerns they may have as a final effort to convince them that you are fit for the position.

You will be contacted within a day or two with their decision. They have a pretty fast and professional turnaround on this.

Investment Performance Junior Analyst Interview

Investment Performance Junior Analyst
Arlington, VA

Interview Details – Really disappointed with this experience. I was looking to transition to a financial or investment analyst position. I heard about Cambridge and felt that it would be a really great fit. I had some related experience. I got an e-mail from a recruiter asking for dates and times for a phone screen and i responded back. A week past and I never heard back from her. I followed up with another e-mail and we finally set up a screen. I had a phone screen and then went in for an open house. Open house was a presentation. I had 3 interviews with a total of 4 individuals. They all asked the same basic behavioral questions. I asked for business cards (so I could send appropriate thank-you's) and only 1 person had one. There was also a case study basically asking you to summarize about a 20 page report (mostly graphs and charts) into a memo to the client. We were told we would probably hear back by the end of the week. I never received a courtesy e-mail or phone call stating that I was not selected for the next round of interviews.

Interview Question – None. They were all basic.   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in May 2012.

Interview Details – The actual interview process consisted of 3 consecutive days of interviews. The first interview was a phone screen where basic background questions were asked. The second interview consisted of four 30-minute interviews with either managers or assistant managers. They all asked the same questions with a curve ball here and there. The third interview consisted of interviewing with 3 managers and the director of the department.

Interview Question – Name 3 weaknesses.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview, phase one. Standard questions fairly easy.

Second there is a group interview following a presentation, mostly to see if you can handle yourself and stressful questions.

Finally here was another presentation two group discussion panels, two interviews and a writing sample. Mostly the last part was to make sure that you were a good fit for the job and that long term you would be happy in the position. The manager wasn't convinced i would last more than two years and I didn't get the job.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2011.

Interview Details – Went in and interviewed with several other applicants. There was a brief presentation of the company then three half hour 1:1 interviews. Typical interview questions: why do you want to work here, what are your work ethics, what do you look for in a boss, what are your career goals, tell me about a previous experience that relates to this role, what are your strengths/weaknesses. Some of the interviewers asked situational questions, many pertaining to organizational culture.
I thought it was a young, collegiate culture; one of the supervisors interviewing was quite arrogant, a pretty big turn off. The office was mainly cubicles with window offices on the side; section I was in was mainly empty. There was supposed to be a second round, but I never heard back for it; I moved on to another firm with a higher salary / better fit for me anyway. Pretty glad because the supervisor seemed rude.

Interview Question – do you really think you're qualified for this job?   View Answer

Arlington, VA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process consisted of a phone interview, open house, and second round interview.

Phone interview: The phone interview will be less than 30 minutes and likely conducted by HR. Expect to go over your resume, talk about your greatest accomplishment and biggest weakness. There won't be much time for your questions.

Open House: The open house consists of a presentation about the department and three 20 minute interviews with the group's managers. Be prepared for some hard questions including: Define professionalism, Name three weaknesses using one work for each weakness, What are three things you learned in the presentation earlier, Sell yourself to me, What do you think you'll be doing at this job, Name one positive trait you don't have, etc.

Second Round: The second round will consist of a one on one interview with the Director of the group as well as the manager of the team they think you'll fit best on. You'll also participate at least one round table discussion with people who could be your team members and colleagues. Remember to ask questions. If you're interested in the position, act like it. You'll also do a writing sample, which isn't super challenging.

Bottom line(s):
- The Junior Associate position is likely in the firm's data group. The data group is extremely high performing and well regarded within the firm. If you don't want to work in a data group, don't apply. But there is opportunity for advancement after you have been at the company for a while, so it's worth it.
- The position is not client facing, but you do get to interact with individuals that work for investment managers.
- Professionalism is key! Dress and act the part. Although most people in the department are young, they are professional at work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations.

Consulting Associate Interview

Consulting Associate
Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2012.

Interview Details – 1st round phone interview.
2nd round on-site interview with 4 different people.

Interview Question – Why do you want to do investment consulting?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was invited for a phone interview literally 15 minutes after I submitted my resume and cover letter. This interview was very short (maybe 20 minutes) and was just a review of my resume. I was then invited to come for an in-person interview. This consisted of a 45 minute presentation on Cambridge and 15 minute mini-interviews with three managers. These were all your typical behavioral questions.

Two days later, I was contacted to come back for a send round interview. This time I had two mini-interviews, a 30 minute presentation on the position, a short panel interview with current Junior Associates, a writing exercise, and a final wrap-up interview with a manager.

Both days of in-person interviews took about 3 hours. While it was definitely a pleasant experience, they were long days and were meant to mentally wear you out. At times, the questions were very pointed and almost curt, but it wasn't a difficult process.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cambridge Associates, LLC