Cambridge Associates, LLC
www.cambridgeassociates.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Cambridge Associates, LLC Investment Performance Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Feb 6, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by the recruiter who scheduled a 30 minute phone screening. I was asked basic background questions, resume, experience, why this company and position. After a phone interview that I thought went very well, I was invited to come to DC in a few days to attend an open house (I live 3 hours away via airplane). Knowing that this would be the only chance I have to land this position, I bought a plane ticket and flew down.

The "open house" was attended by five other applicants and consisted of an hour long presentation regarding the company and position. The presentation was followed by 3 rounds of 30 minute 1-1 interviews with different managers. This part was very unorganized, and most of the managers didn't seem to have much interviewing experience. There were many times when I felt that the manager was more nervous then I was. After the 1-1 interviews I was walked to the door and sent on my way.

Despite the lack of organization, the "open house" was very informative and gave me a great sense of where I'd be working, who I'd be working with and what exactly I'd be doing. Upon leaving, I felt that these were some of the best interviews I have had and that there was a fairly good chance I would make it to the next round, or at least get a rejection with some positive feedback.

Before I had even made it home, I recieved an automated rejection email from the recruiter. Being slightly surprised, I sent a follow-up email asking politely for some feedback from the interviews. It's been about 4 months and I still haven't heard back.

To summerize: Initial phone interview followed by a very informative and helpful "open house". Unprofessional way of rejecting candidates IMO but hey, at least they said something.

Interview Questions

• Name three character traits you need to badly improve upon   View Answer
  • If you were me, what question would you ask you   View Answer

Investment Performance Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview Details – 1st Round - Phone Interview

2nd Round - Interview with 2 managers that last half an hour each. A 45 min company brief and a simple test which lasted half an hour.

Interview Question – Tell me one thing you want me to remember for after you walk through the door.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview was extremely brief. The guy seemed completely uninterested and not very personable. In person interviews wen a lot better the people seemed nicer and interested by what I had to say. There were two 30 min interviews back to back. The second interview that day has two individuals in it which was a little intimidating but I thought I handled it well.

Interview Question – Why did you pick this job?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went through phone screening, then 2 rounds of interview. It was pretty straightforward. No brain-teasing questions. However, they did try to test my behavioral reaction in certain occasions.

Interview Question – It was so long ago. There really were no unexpected question.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview Details – Pretty standard. Case study for last part of final interview.

Interview Question – What are your three biggest strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn and was called the next day for a phone screening. After that I was signed up for an interview at their Arlington location. Had a series of three interviews lasting about a half hour each. They seemed more concerned about asking questions to contradict yourself than asking about skills. If I contradicted myself in the least bit, theyd tell me.

Interview Question – Weaknesses   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Was brought in for the first round of interview (along with another candidate). The first interview was started with an information session about the company, followed by 3 thirty minute back to back interviews with three different people (Each of the 3 have a different mood from happy and easy going to quite serious). I was invited back for the second and final round of interviewing. This consisted of meeting with the head of the performance reporting group, and several other managers. There was also a scenario based test involved.

Interview Question – Name 3 of your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position in mid-November and received a phone call to set up an initial phone screen in early December. After a 30 minute phone interview which included a review of my resume and "why Cambridge?" type questions, I was told I'd hear something the next day. Sure enough I was invited the following day for a face to face interview. Two weeks later I finally sat down for interviews with 3 different managers and a company presentation. All 3 managers seemed to take a different approach to the interview. One was gentle and inviting, one was stone faced and let no emotion show, and the third was also gentle and forthcoming. They asked trick "gotcha" type questions in the interviews to make sure you were paying attention to the presentation. These included: Where are our locations outside of the US? What year were we founded? Is this a front or back office position? What does PRG stand for? Do we manage assets or advise on those assets? Honestly, if you do a bit of research before the interview on there website, you'll be fine. I felt like the interviews went well and was told I'd hear back within a week. Well after 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I'd all but given up on them. I had hoped the holiday season had perhaps got in the way of everything, but I wasn't expecting any future communication. Sure enough I received an email (about 2 weeks after face-to-face interview #1) inviting me back for another round. The next week I came in for a much more involved interview. This round lasted nearly 3 hours and included 4 interviews with 6 different people. First a review of the systems they use and a clear notion to ask in-depth questions about the processes. Then an interview with 2 different managers (one of whom left Goldman Sachs to come to this company, I wonder if she wasn't cutting it at Goldman). My next interview was with 2 new-hires within the last year and it's a chance for you to ask questions about the position and what their experiences were like. My final interview that day was with a manager who I'd interviewed with the first go-around. This included a simple case study about the transitioning of a client from one analyst to another. The final interview included more in-depth questions about my resume.

Bottom line: I thought I was advancing smoothly in the process and giving them answers that were to their liking. The company said I'd hear back within a day or two about a decision. After 3 days of anticipation and hearing nothing, I emailed the last HR person I was dealing with. She replied the next day with a standard "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. So that's it, after 3 separate interactions with the company over a 5 week period that included interviews with 10 people, I ended up getting denied. It's the nature of the financial beast and a strong and competitive DC job market. I was more than upset but quickly rebounded because of the amount of interview offers I'm receiving at other firms.

Interview Question – Are you under or overqualified for this position? You have to pick one.   View Answer

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed in December 2013 and January 2014. I was contacted by the HR Department via email, and set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic and normal questions such as "Why Cambridge" and "Tell Me About yourself". I was asked for an onsite interview at the end of the conversation. The first onsite interview was meeting with three individuals within the PRG and a group presentation. they were very informative and asked multiple questions on the lines of "Why Cambridge?" and "Why are you a good fit for this position". Every interviewer was very knowledgeable, nice, and polite. Two weeks later, I was asked to come back for a second onsite interview. This interview was a walk through on what an average day at CA would look like. I also interviewed in a group panel with two managers of PRG, one current Investment Performance Analyst, and the head manager of the PRG. Again, all of whom were nice, cordial, and polite. I was asked many of the same questions. Finally I had to complete a case study and present it to the head manager. The case study is not difficult, but you need to be thorough. Overall it was a great experience, and everyone I met with was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Interview Question – Previous situational questions: 'When have you been put in a situation such as..... and how did you deal with it?"   View Answer

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview, followed by two rounds of in-office interviews. Lastly, a final phone interview with the director of the Investment Performance group. The process was slightly disorganized, but overall moved relatively quickly once it got started.

Interview Question – How would you rate this interview on a scale of 1-10?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cambridge Associates, LLC Investment Performance Analyst interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cambridge Associates, LLC employees and interview candidates.